It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Show off your (old) gear, win shiny new (ROCCAT) gear!

As you know, the GOG.com catalog spans many titles dating back as far as 1980 (, we're looking at you!), in times when computers kind of looked like modern-day [url=http://prepare.icttrends.com/images/2012/06/IBM_PC.jpg]microwaves sat on top of a console, and the first portable computer, the Osborne I, was put on the market in all the glory of its 24 pounds of weight and a steep $1,795 price tag.

We don't expect you to have gear that's quite as old, but we are curious as to what treasures you might be keeping in a box stored away in the basement or deep in an attic drawer. So show us your oldest gear and be greatly rewarded with the some of the newest on the market, courtesy of gaming gear creator and producer ROCCAT!

THE RULES:

- Your entry should consist of 1 or 2 pictures of your old gear and a description of up to 100 words telling us what it is, where you got it, what you used it for or any other fond memories you have with it. Maybe it was your first joystick? Maybe an old Atari controller you kept as a memento? We want to hear about it!
- You can only post one entry per person. If you post more, only the first one will be counted.
- You may not edit your post.
- Use your own photos of your own gear - we do know how to do a reverse image search!

Post your entry in the comments below before the deadline - you have a week, until March 6th, at 1:59 PM GMT. We aim to judge your entries and pick winners by Thursday, March 12th - we'll announce them in the contest forum thread and via PM to the winners themselves.

THE PRIZES:

1st place prize: a ROCCAT Isku, gaming keyboard with blue-tinted illumination, secondary programmable Shift function, and Thumbster Macro Keys below the spacebar to maximise gaming effectiveness

2nd place prize: a ROCCAT Savu, mid-size hybrid gaming mouse with an adjustable, 400-4000 DPI optical sensor, secondary programmable function, customizable illumination, and a powerful driver suite

3rd place prize: a ROCCAT Sense, mousepad with friction-reducing microcrystalline coating for greater mouse speed and precision

All winners will also get GOG.com gift codes to use on games of their choice to test out their new gear!

Honorable mentions: We expect there to be many great-quality entries, so we're reserving the right to give out honorable mentions to all those we find did a brilliant job, but didn't quite make the podium cut. They'll get GOG.com gift codes to use on titles available in our catalog.

Should you be one of our top three winners, we will need some mailing data (name, address, phone number) to ship your prize to you. If the ROCCAT Marketing Team ends up sending the prizes directly to you, we will need to share your mailing information with them. We will not share it with anyone that doesn't need it!

Please note that this contest is also being held on the French and German GOG.com forum - winners will be chosen, regardless of language, from across all three contest topics. :)
Thanks for the chance to show off my old but work gear.

I have an old keyboard Compaq RT101 and nearly 10 years to own it. I've got this keyboard when my first PC is dead. Looking for new components to upgrade into newly system. When I was looking for some office gear, I've found this keyboard in bulk place lower rack position in pc store with dust on it. I asked the store owner to buy it, he said if I want it I can own it for free in order to free up his rack space for newly item. I still could not believe I've got free keyboard which feel like mechanical one. I really thank to him and washed it gently. Now, it still accompany me till now to do some office work.
Attachments:
1.jpg (368 Kb)
2.jpg (335 Kb)
Mpkadz: My first computer. An Osborne Executive I got in 1983. I worked at the tool shop that made the Injection Molds that produced the cases, keyboard, etc. and we were able to order one. The kids used it for games...
As one of those kids (hey look! you'd think this was engineered or something), yes, we absolutely did. That particular machine is what got me started, both playing games and programming ("how does this game work? oh hey look, I can change the BASIC here...").

On the one hand, it's amazing that it still works. On the other hand, not so much; the old stuff was built to *last*...

(Also... I had no idea that Quality is where the molds for the case and such were made. I figured you got that machine just to do the newsletter and golf stuff. Wow.)
Here is my first 3 computers purchased left to right, not sure if the microcomputer trainer or pocket TRS80 counted so included the CoCo. All purchased of course from Tandy which closed down here years ago. I used them to learn programming but Games called to me and were purchased or programmed on them all. Fondest memory was typing in a voice digitiser on the CoCo from a mag. They all still work as I tried them about 3 months ago, even typed in some programs but nothing to save to so lost it when turned off.
Attachments:
davids2.jpg (279 Kb)
Now that I have put up my entry thought I might add more info.
The Microcomputer Trainer and TRS80 Pocket computer I think I purchased in 1980. I purchased the Pocket Computer to use in night school, it helped a lot with calculations, the teachers were wary of me using it in exams but had no idea how to run it so just kept a close eye on me.
The CoCo was purchased either 1982 or 1983, it got me started with hacking computers and I ended up doubling the ram in it by doing a piggyback mod with the Ram chips, others heard of it and I ended up doing dozens of the mod..

The most modding I did to any of my computers was an Amiga 1000. I really tricked that machine out, I was very unhappy about selling it shortly after getting married. Around 2005 I was offered an Amiga 1000 for purchase, quite cheap, very happy to see it was my old system, a little rougher, a little scruffier but still working..

I loved the Amiga and still have a 1000, 500, CDTV and my last one a 3000..
Assorted XT's AT's, 286's, 386's, 486's and early pentiums round out my "collection"....

One thing I sold and never replaced was my old C64 collection... Of course now I wish I never sold it but you do silly things when you get married...

I think I had one of the first 3D video cards here in Tasmania, maybe even Australia. I purchased it from America and had to wait months for it to arrive.. I think Quake was the first game I used on it, people were impressed and always wanted to play on my computer, was very happy when they started selling the 3D cards in Australia so I could start using my own computer again during tha LAN nights I ran at home once a month.. Not CAt5 but Coax cables throughout the house....

Everything seemed a lot more fun back then, I wish there had been the internet in 1980, finding information for hacking and modding hardware would have been lots easier..

Excuse me, I'm heading off for a trip down memory lane...

Cheers.

David..
1999. I think. That's not really old, is it?

Played Quake single player campaign till the light shun thru. On a Mac G3 266. Loved the game that much - hardly anything else available - I used to play online, but never grasped how the hell those guys kept jumping and flying around and assumed they used gear like this Gravis Xterminator Dual Control...

Ended up playing Warbirds cause that seemed the only logical application.
Attachments:
xtreme-1.jpg (137 Kb)
My older (still functional) gaming gear isn't that exciting to look at, not sure if I want to take photos of them:

1. PS2 (the older fatty model, I've pimped it up with an internal hard drive)

2. IBM ThinkPad T41 laptop (has both Windows 98SE and XP installed, great for running old Windows games, e.g. Heavy Gear, Dungeon Keeper Gold (Direct3D-version) etc.)

3. Some Athlon Hammer/ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/1 GB RAM desktop (running Windows 98SE, Windows XP and Linux Mint XFCE 17.1 side by side), probably from 2004/2005 because according to Wikipedia that is when Athlon 64/Hammer CPUs were released. I bought it used some months ago for 20€, when I broke the motherboard of my other old desktop by trying to install RAM chips the wrong way.

No reason to list any broken or non-functional old hardware, I throw them to recycling like I do for my old broken vacuum cleaners, washing mashines, toasters etc.

Overall I am more interested to emulation than trying to preserve old hardware that will eventually fail at some point. E.g. DOSBox, nGlide and Munt are the reason I don't really see the point of keeping a real MS-DOS PC with Rolant MT-32/CM-32L and 3Dfx Voodoo graphics card around, or WinUAE is the reason I don't see the point of keeping a real Amiga 500.

Hopefully PS2 emulators turn out to be so good that I can give my real PS2 a rest.
Post edited March 04, 2015 by timppu
This is my sega saturn. My favorite console (a little dusty). To be exact this is my second sega saturn, see before there was red rings of death and playstation errors there were cats that will pee everything and one of those things was my saturn.
To this day is the console (or pc) that i enjoyed the most since it was the right time for me, i was in school and had a lot of time off. Of course did not have a lot of games since sega dropped early but nevertheless i have the best memories of it.
Attachments:
dsc05068.jpg (322 Kb)
dsc05069.jpg (305 Kb)
For your approval, possibly the best graphics card ever. After years of playing Quake 2 on a store build Pentium 120mhz with 16mb of RAM. I felt confident enough to build my own PC, I recall it was a 533mhz AMDk6-2, 64mb ram, powering the visuals was this bad boy, I never looked back. At the time I honestly thought gaming would never look better.

I give you the obsolete but never forgotten powerhouse of pixels. The 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 (Now missing its heatsink, poor thing. It's about somewhere.)

Real old skool cool.
Attachments:
I've been thinking about it enough now. We've got tons of good old gear around here and this one is definitely not the oldest one by far.
But we fancy gamers know that sometimes a product comes around which is very special to our heart. This is one of those.

(To stay inside the contest rules, the following is the actual description under 100 words):

"The Interactor - Virtual Reality Gamewear! A backpack which let's you feel every single blow, jump, bump you take in the game, creating an immersion never seen before!

Actually all it does is being a huge rumblepack with the strengh of a Dualshock controller. BUT this product is so ingenious, they knew this was not it's only reason to exist. So they designed it to be a very fancy piece of fashion, too. And we all know, you're not dressed for adventures in the real world until you got your Interactor loaded up on your back."
Attachments:
Post edited March 04, 2015 by NinjaWursti
While mine are not the oldest or most impressive, I'm sure, I did take the time to dig them out of the shed across my ice covered, steep backyard. So I'll share them, please enjoy. I'm also not very skilled at compressing my photos while still being legible, so I hope a thumb link to photobucket is okay since they're too big to attach.

First shot is just some old games, this is far from my full collection, or the best games but they were packed away with the old stuff and have some memories. I had to remove the Zelda cartridges to show they are indeed the gold versions. When I first got my N64, I couldn't afford any games and had to deal with renting Ocarina of Time for a few months until Christmas. Which means I had to play from the beginning or on someone else's game, but I didn't really mind, it was a wholly new experience to play that game.

Another big one is Jewel Master, a really interesting concept of mixing rings with different properties to create a wide range of spells. Gameplay was somewhat typical of platformers (feels a lot like Altered Beast) but the spell creating system was really impressive to me.

[URL=http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/Arucard_Tepes/th_games_zps6xa4pige.jpg[/IMG][/URL]http://s923.photobucket.com/user/Arucard_Tepes/media/games_zps6xa4pige.jpg.html][IMG]http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/Arucard_Tepes/th_games_zps6xa4pige.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

OK, the main thing is here;

I first saw Arc the Lad photos in a gaming magazine while it was still a Japanese only game. The graphics were totally unbelievable to me, and I was dying for a Playstation for years to come. Finally after trading in all my other systems and games ( a trend I would regrettably repeat later) I could afford a used PS Dual Shock, memory card, and one game. That game was Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, and among the very few RPGs I would actually get through. Even some twenty years later, this game still means so much to me. You can really see the love for my PS and games by all the stickers I plastered all over the system and game drawer, mostly Lunar and Alundra from the Working Designs official guides. Stickers make things more badass, right? Also, I had to open the drawer to the honorable mentions of Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman, and Evil Dead Hail to the King.

[URL=http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/Arucard_Tepes/th_stickers_zpspym9dkbd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]http://s923.photobucket.com/user/Arucard_Tepes/media/stickers_zpspym9dkbd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/Arucard_Tepes/th_stickers_zpspym9dkbd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm sure that's too many words, but I don't entertain the thought of winning, just hope someone gets a kick out of that stuff. It's a lot of fun to show off this old junk that 90% of people won't give a half-a-crap about.
Back when I was young(er), living with my parents, « Nintendo » was the only « Electronic » I dipped in.

Once though, the neighbour gave us his old Commodore 64. I had my fun with it but my history with computers started when my dad got our old (and now dead) Pentium 120MHz.

You can see the 14-inch CRT we used it with. I remember rebooting in DOS to install Duke Nukem 3D EACH time I wanted to play it...

I got better... unlike my dad... who still managed to send me the webcam pictures.

So, thank you daddy...

Word count (Open Writer): 100
Attachments:
This is my little bundle of old computer joy (found in the depths of an abyss I call "The Basement").

What it is?
1) Atari 65XE + Atari XC11 datassette + Neptun II monitor + 4x joysticks and lots of cassettes. It's in a very good condition, working flawlessly to this day. This set was my first computer experience.
2) Elektronica portable handheld games. 2x MG-09 "Space Bridge" (in ENG and RUS description) and a IM-02 "Nu pogodi! / Wolf and Eggs"
3) NES Video Game System "Pegasus" with two pads and a light gun (Duck Hunt <3 )
Attachments:
Radofin 1392 Advanced Programmable Video System

My cousin got this system 1979 or 1980 along with these four games. I remember how mind blowing it was to actually move objects on tv-screen. After this, I was forever sold to this kind of entertainment. About three years later I loaned it, and he never wanted it back. I really did ask, but he was little bit older than me, and more interested in girls than video games. And cool guys didn't play video games. And that is how I got my Precious. I still play with it few times a year.
Attachments:
Piflik: Behold: The Union Reality UR Gear (yes, UR...not VR...)

This elegant headgear enables you to control your computer without hands, using only your head. Already obsolete upon release, this useless thing is not even heavy enough to function as a paperweight. It utilizes not one, but two serial COM-ports and two audio jacks for headphones and microphone. The wired connection guarantees instantaneous communication with the base station and allows you to accurately maneuver your virtual mouse virtually latency-free.

Order now and you'll get the cobwebs fee of charge.
Alan Cox has one of those and wrote the Linux driver for it. I always thought it'd be cool to get one but never did, however I bought a NaturalPoint TrackIR head tracker some years later which was/is rather fun. :)
NinjaWursti: "The Interactor - Virtual Reality Gamewear! A backpack which let's you feel every single blow, jump, bump you take in the game, creating an immersion never seen before!

Actually all it does is being a huge rumblepack with the strengh of a Dualshock controller. BUT this product is so ingenious, they knew this was not it's only reason to exist. So they designed it to be a very fancy piece of fashion, too. And we all know, you're not dressed for adventures in the real world until you got your Interactor loaded up on your back."
I have one of these, good description.. Been on a few adventures wearing mine..