It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York is coming soon.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York presents the conflict between two vampiric factions: the traditionalist Camarilla and the fiercely independent Anarchs among the iconic landmarks and night lights of The Big Apple. It's a unique, atmospheric, single-player narrative experience, set in a rich, fully licensed, globally recognized universe of Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition.
Well, I hope this game will be better than World of Darkness. Preludes. Vampire and Mage and we maybe even could create our own character.
Swedrami: There's also an as of yet untitled narrative VTM RPG in the works by the studio that did The Council:
https://twitter.com/BIGBADWOLFSTUD1
And Cyanide is working on a Werewolf the Apocalypse game.

Though given they are now owned by BigBen, that game will probably start out as an Epic exclusive.
mintee: have to agree, it looks like a VN, not like vampires the masq
You have no idea what VTM is then?
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade]Vampire: The Masquerade - Wikipedia[/url]

VTM was originally a setting for A pen and paper RPG.
Vampire: The Masquerade is a tabletop role-playing game (tabletop RPG) created by Mark Rein-Hagen and released in 1991 by White Wolf Publishing as the first of several Storyteller System games for its World of Darkness setting line. It is set in a fictionalized "gothic-punk" version of the modern world, where players assume the roles of vampires, who are referred to as "Kindred", and deal with their night-to-night struggles against their own bestial natures, vampire hunters and each other.

Several associated products were produced based on Vampire: The Masquerade, including
Live-action role-playing games (Mind's Eye Theatre),
Dice
Collectible card games (Vampire: The Eternal Struggle)
Video games (Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption and Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines).
Numerous novels
In 1996, a short-lived television show loosely based on the game, Kindred: The Embraced, was produced by Aaron Spelling for the Fox Broadcasting Company.
What does "Numerous Novels" mean well there's, 58 Books listed here
Including "Graphic Novels", the printed form of a "Visual Novel.
[url=https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Vampire:_The_Masquerade_fiction]Category: Vampire: The Masquerade fiction | White Wolf | FANDOM powered by Wikian[/url]

So 58 Novels, against 2 Video games
Seems to me a Visual Novel is far more "like VTM" than any video game.

Not sure if links not working is my end or GOG, but BBCodes correct.
Post edited October 10, 2019 by UhuruNUru
Tauto: Just want a bit more info in video of game and not just x amount of seconds with nothing. How is that going to sell/advertise a game and why should I have to search for game play or better info? I'm not selling the bloomin game.
then why asking gog if gameplay video ought to provide by company who is actually want their game to be sold. gog is just a digital platform for distributing games
Tauto: Just want a bit more info in video of game and not just x amount of seconds with nothing. How is that going to sell/advertise a game and why should I have to search for game play or better info? I'm not selling the bloomin game.
franky-boy: then why asking gog if gameplay video ought to provide by company who is actually want their game to be sold. gog is just a digital platform for distributing games
It could have something to do with good business ethics.
franky-boy: then why asking gog if gameplay video ought to provide by company who is actually want their game to be sold. gog is just a digital platform for distributing games
Tauto: It could have something to do with good business ethics.
Is it not ethical for a store to put an early notice/preview page for a game (that doesn't even have a pre-order option yet, and has about a year until its expected release date), with full description and several screenshots, just because the only video the game's publisher provided is a quick trailer?

I mean, I can sort of see why some people wouldn't want to press the ( non-existent! ) "Buy" button just yet. But I really can't figure out why it's unethical for a store to let a publisher notify people that the game is planned to be coming to the store in about year, with whatever info is currently available.

Also, VNs rarely have gameplay videos. And I really really can't see why anyone would think it's bad "business ethics" to sell VNs.
Tauto: It could have something to do with good business ethics.
YaronDav: Is it not ethical for a store to put an early notice/preview page for a game (that doesn't even have a pre-order option yet, and has about a year until its expected release date), with full description and several screenshots, just because the only video the game's publisher provided is a quick trailer?

I mean, I can sort of see why some people wouldn't want to press the ( non-existent! ) "Buy" button just yet. But I really can't figure out why it's unethical for a store to let a publisher notify people that the game is planned to be coming to the store in about year, with whatever info is currently available.

Also, VNs rarely have gameplay videos. And I really really can't see why anyone would think it's bad "business ethics" to sell VNs.
When I sell something it is visible to buyer and NOT a picture of nothing and THAT is good business ethics, and when was the last time you purchased something unseen? Or is that you're normal stance? If you can't demonstrate the product then how do you sell it? Even, Hollywood at least put out trailers of a new movie.
Post edited October 16, 2019 by Tauto
The artwork is great, but it still seem like it's just some simplistic clicker game or something.
Crosmando: The artwork is great, but it still seem like it's just some simplistic clicker game or something.
"Clicker games" are wildly different from interactive stories/adventures, gamebooks and quality VNs. Or at least proper VNs, although most VNs would be "clicker games" in that you mostly just click until you encounter a choice. Why do you assume it's going to be a clicker game, did you read the description?

If you've seen the KS for the other visual text game, the Nighthawks by Dave Gilbert, this just seems like an official version of that. Or very similar to it, hopefully it'll allow you to actually move through the locations and it won't be just a mostly railroaded story where stuff changes based on your dialogue options, but not on where you go (since it does that for you), like many VNs are like.

This doesn't seem to be a VN but more like a normal interactive story/adventure, text RPG or a gamebook, you move across various locations and you use your skills and choices to shape the story. And in most cases you have an inventory that lets you use items on people or in locations. It might turn out it's completely railroaded though and not such an open world adventure like it sounds like, but I'm hoping it will be more like a regular gamebook or an adventure game where you can actively choose where you want to go and who you want to talk with. Like the regular gamebooks, the digitalized Fighting Fantasy and Sorcery! gamebooks (you can get the latter on GOG), the upcoming Summer Daze at Hero-U (it's got a Kickstarter right now, with a demo of the first day) and other things like Academagia/1931: Scheherazade which are a mix of genres (a gamebook/magical school sim, the latter a VN/adventure sim).

It actually reminded me of Bloodnet, pity the ending was rushed!
Tauto: When I sell something
It's not yet available for sale. At the moment they're not yet selling it. You can't buy it, you can't pre-order it. So whatever you think may, or may not, be required in order to sell something ethically, isn't relevant. Because, again, right now the game page is not a sales page, it's an early notice information page.
Tauto: it is visible to buyer and NOT a picture of nothing
There are actually several gameplay pictures. Which is very different from "picture of nothing". If you want to have a sense of how the game looks like or works, these provide it, at least according to the currently clearly listed pre-alpha version.
Tauto: If you can't demonstrate the product then how do you sell it?
Again, there are several pictures already, showing artstyle, and interface/UI, and types of interactions. Which is plenty. And, again, it's not for sale yet. And it's not even finished yet.

Are you saying it's not ethical to provide an early notice about a game, before starting to sell it?

Also, isn't the decision on "how much information is enough to form an opinion?" up to potential buyers? Providing false, or intentionally misleading, information can be unethical. Providing insufficient (for some customers, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who don't check gameplay videos even for games that do have them, description and pictures aren't nothing) information isn't.
Tauto: When I sell something
YaronDav: It's not yet available for sale. At the moment they're not yet selling it. You can't buy it, you can't pre-order it. So whatever you think may, or may not, be required in order to sell something ethically, isn't relevant. Because, again, right now the game page is not a sales page, it's an early notice information page.
Tauto: it is visible to buyer and NOT a picture of nothing
YaronDav: There are actually several gameplay pictures. Which is very different from "picture of nothing". If you want to have a sense of how the game looks like or works, these provide it, at least according to the currently clearly listed pre-alpha version.
Tauto: If you can't demonstrate the product then how do you sell it?
YaronDav: Again, there are several pictures already, showing artstyle, and interface/UI, and types of interactions. Which is plenty. And, again, it's not for sale yet. And it's not even finished yet.

Are you saying it's not ethical to provide an early notice about a game, before starting to sell it?

Also, isn't the decision on "how much information is enough to form an opinion?" up to potential buyers? Providing false, or intentionally misleading, information can be unethical. Providing insufficient (for some customers, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who don't check gameplay videos even for games that do have them, description and pictures aren't nothing) information isn't.
How about something like this,instead?

Hi Folks. We have a new game (name) coming soon but we don't have any decent links for game play as yet,just a few pics and as soon as the devs make a game playing preview,we will post it for all to see.
Tauto: How about something like this,instead?

Hi Folks. We have a new game (name) coming soon but we don't have any decent links for game play as yet,just a few pics and as soon as the devs make a game playing preview,we will post it for all to see.
So you're saying that providing a non-gameply trailer video, multiple gameplay screenshots, and full description... is unethical, compared with merely providing a notice that there's no gameplay video (for a game format that often doesn't have gameplay videos anyway because they're not very useful) and therefore there would be no other information until such video will be available?

That, really doesn't make any sense to me. At all.

OK, sorry for wasting your time then. I was really trying to understand the point of view you are apparently trying to express, but at this point I think I'm giving up.
Tauto: How about something like this,instead?

YaronDav: So you're saying that providing a non-gameply trailer video, multiple gameplay screenshots, and full description... is unethical, compared with merely providing a notice that there's no gameplay video (for a game format that often doesn't have gameplay videos anyway because they're not very useful) and therefore there would be no other information until such video will be available?

That, really doesn't make any sense to me. At all.

OK, sorry for wasting your time then. I was really trying to understand the point of view you are apparently trying to express, but at this point I think I'm giving up.
Well, it makes sense that you are just trolling me and I had a feeling, of that from the start.
Post edited October 18, 2019 by Tauto
Well gotta wait for reviews here - not really sure yet what to expect of the game. But kinda intrigued for now and with a fair pricing this game might be pretty nice
There should be gameplay from PDXcon during the wekeend, hopefully there will be an official Youtube video, not just fan and reporter reviews.
Post edited October 18, 2019 by Green_Hilltop