It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Prepare to take to the sky and reunite a fragmented world in an awesome metroidvania.
Genre: Action, Adventure
Mom, can we get Ori and the Will of the Wisps?

We have Ori and the Will of the Wisps at home.
Cool! I wonder if it's coming to Mac as well? Wishlisted :)
ParaTerrastian: Mom, can we get Ori and the Will of the Wisps?

I support the request.

Now, regarding the game... it's another metroidvania (as far as I can see) with some elements very similar to another famous videogame of the same genre.

Appreciated. Sincerely. Although I think the genre is being abused. Maybe because of fashion and because of how profitable it is among videogamers.

I hope that like Konami did some time ago with this genre. The new developments will improve the known formula, but above all they will innovate it. I don't know, but I'm starting to feel like I'm playing the same thing over and over again.

Thanks, GOG!
ParaTerrastian: Mom, can we get Ori and the Will of the Wisps?

Ori... meh...
Indie, Platformer, Metroidvania..... the unholy trinity
UCrest: Although I think the genre is being abused. Maybe because of fashion and because of how profitable it is among videogamers.
Yeah, there was a time when metroidvanias were few and far between (Nintendo hadn't made a 2D Metroid in a long time and Konami's last 2D 'Vania was on the DS).
At that time, there were a few indies making their own love letters to those series and I would take every one I could get. But Hollow Knight was such a mainstream success that now EVERYONE is making metroidvanias. With there being so many now I can afford to be a bit more discerning, but it has taken a while for the "buy every metroidvania" mentality to subside.

This one looks ace, but I don't know if the game will actually be good. I'm really not seeing the Ori comparisons though, this has a completely different art style.
Post edited August 09, 2022 by my name is grompy catte
UCrest: Although I think the genre is being abused. Maybe because of fashion and because of how profitable it is among videogamers.
my name is grompy catte: Yeah, there was a time when metroidvanias were few and far between (Nintendo hadn't made a 2D Metroid in a long time and Konami's last 2D 'Vania was on the DS).
At that time, there were a few indies making their own love letters to those series and I would take every one I could get. But Hollow Knight was such a mainstream success that now EVERYONE is making metroidvanias. With there being so many now I can afford to be a bit more discerning, but it has taken a while for the "buy every metroidvania" mentality to subside.

This one looks ace, but I don't know if the game will actually be good. I'm really not seeing the Ori comparisons though, this has a completely different art style.
I think the problem is that many PC indie devs didn't grow up playing PC games. They grew up playing Nintendo games.
my name is grompy catte: Yeah, there was a time when metroidvanias were few and far between (Nintendo hadn't made a 2D Metroid in a long time and Konami's last 2D 'Vania was on the DS).

Crosmando: I think the problem is that many PC indie devs didn't grow up playing PC games. They grew up playing Nintendo games.
I don't really see that as a problem... It's not like they're preventing people who grew up playing PC games from making PC games. The indie adventure game movement is evidence enough of that. Surely you don't think games like Unavowed were inspired by console games?

Enough of this PC master race BS. The simple fact is that the PC has the lowest barrier to entry to develop for, so the kids who grew up playing console games are developing for the PC alongside the kids who grew up playing PC games. It doesn't matter because everything comes out on everything these days, it's just easiest to start on PC.

Stop trying to gatekeep what kinds of games people can release on the PC please.
Post edited August 09, 2022 by my name is grompy catte
Crosmando: I think the problem is that many PC indie devs didn't grow up playing PC games. They grew up playing Nintendo games.
my name is grompy catte: I don't really see that as a problem... It's not like they're preventing people who grew up playing PC games from making PC games. The indie adventure game movement is evidence enough of that. Surely you don't think games like Unavowed were inspired by console games?

Enough of this PC master race BS. The simple fact is that the PC has the lowest barrier to entry to develop for, so the kids who grew up playing console games are developing for the PC alongside the kids who grew up playing PC games. It doesn't matter because everything comes out on everything these days, it's just easiest to start on PC.

Stop trying to gatekeep what kinds of games people can release on the PC please.
Well, what can I say, I'm a PC gamer, not a neutral arbiter. I'm malcontented that "Retro" on PC has almost become synonymous with SNES/NES style games rather than computer-style games such as those on DOS/Amiga/Apple. Doesn't help that GOG "curators" spam these games over here. I mean are there a thousand indie games that clone Metroid but not Pools of Radiance? I'm simply discontented that my type of games have fallen by the wayside, and also that PC indie scene seems to be dominated by developers who are fundamentally console gamers at heart.
Post edited August 09, 2022 by Crosmando
Crosmando: Well, what can I say, I'm a PC gamer, not a neutral arbiter. I'm malcontented that "Retro" on PC has almost become synonymous with SNES/NES style games rather than computer-style games such as those on DOS/Amiga/Apple. Doesn't help that GOG "curators" spam these games over here. I mean are there a thousand indie games that clone Metroid but not Pools of Radiance? I'm simply discontented that my type of games have fallen by the wayside, and also that PC indie scene seems to be dominated by developers who are fundamentally console gamers at heart.
Did you miss where I mentioned the massive retro (320x200 resolution) adventure game resurgence? Point and click adventures are about as 90s PC as you can get. If people aren't making the kinds of games you like, then I guess not enough people like them. These "console gamer" indies aren't stopping people from making the games you want, so the issue is the lack of people who want to make those games.
my name is grompy catte: Did you miss where I mentioned the massive retro (320x200 resolution) adventure game resurgence? Point and click adventures are about as 90s PC as you can get. If people aren't making the kinds of games you like, then I guess not enough people like them. These "console gamer" indies aren't stopping people from making the games you want, so the issue is the lack of people who want to make those games.
True, you are right about adventure games, but that resurgence is almost entirely Wadget Eye.
my name is grompy catte: Did you miss where I mentioned the massive retro (320x200 resolution) adventure game resurgence? Point and click adventures are about as 90s PC as you can get. If people aren't making the kinds of games you like, then I guess not enough people like them. These "console gamer" indies aren't stopping people from making the games you want, so the issue is the lack of people who want to make those games.
Crosmando: True, you are right about adventure games, but that resurgence is almost entirely Wadget Eye.
They were arguably the most famous publisher involved but they're far from the only developer. There was a whole scene around Adventure Game Studio.

https://itch.io/games/made-with-adventure-game-studio

If you look, maybe you'll find something similar for blobbers. If not, then I guess there just aren't that many people who miss them. It's complete nonsense to blame it on people developing retro console-style games for PC though since they're not preventing anyone from making anything.
Personally I'm thankful for both the adventure game revival and the metroidvania revival as I love both genres and grew up playing both PC and console games.
Post edited August 10, 2022 by my name is grompy catte
my name is grompy catte: (...) This one looks ace, but I don't know if the game will actually be good. I'm really not seeing the Ori comparisons though, this has a completely different art style.
Well, I don't think anyone has compared this game (Islets) to Ori. I just support another user's request (which I agree with) for the second part of this game to come soon to GOG. I agree with what you say in that this game looks good, but it's one thing if it looks good and another if it plays well. I hope it's as good as it looks in every way as a fan of the genre.
Well... I don't think you can call it a problem. But if it's a drawback, then it's getting rarer and rarer to see new titles with a retro or classic PC style from the 80s. It's also not a bad thing to want to play or ask (current) developers for more retro style titles seen only for PC.
Post edited August 10, 2022 by UCrest
my name is grompy catte: (...) This one looks ace, but I don't know if the game will actually be good. I'm really not seeing the Ori comparisons though, this has a completely different art style.
UCrest: Well, I don't think anyone has compared this game (Islets) to Ori. I just support another user's request (which I agree with) for the second part of this game to come soon to GOG. I agree with what you say in that this game looks good, but it's one thing if it looks good and another if it plays well. I hope it's as good as it looks in every way as a fan of the genre.
That request you replied to wasn't a request, it was a meme that was basically calling this a knockoff or inferior version of Ori.

Google "we have X at home" if you're curious.

I guess it could also be a request, but it was also mildly disparaging this game by comparing it to Ori.
Post edited August 10, 2022 by my name is grompy catte