It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready for an action-adventure game inspired by 16 and 32-bit classics! Gestalt: Steam & Cinder is coming soon to GOG.COM. The game fuses tight 2D platforming and exhilarating combat with an engrossing, twist-laden narrative. Join Aletheia and a vibrant cast of characters as they find themselves embroiled in a race to discover the secrets of the massive, steam-powered city of Canaan, the last bastion of mankind.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
Vendor-Lazarus: Maybe..

First of all, is this a Platformer or a Metroidvania?
Most importantly of all though, optimize for Mouse and Keyboard!
Which includes rebinding.

Those are make or break it points.
demo had a bit of a weird set-up, with all your action keys being on J, K, L, I and O.

I much prefer the "move with arrows, actions on Z, X, C" system that games like Ori and Hollow Knight use- hopefully the devs give us an option to rebind without having to resolve to AutoHotKey.

It's supposed to be a Metroidvania, as the game also has a stats system, as well as RPG quests with multiple outcomes, rather than a pure platformer.
Vendor-Lazarus: Maybe..

First of all, is this a Platformer or a Metroidvania?
Most importantly of all though, optimize for Mouse and Keyboard!
Which includes rebinding.

Those are make or break it points.
kud13: demo had a bit of a weird set-up, with all your action keys being on J, K, L, I and O.

I much prefer the "move with arrows, actions on Z, X, C" system that games like Ori and Hollow Knight use- hopefully the devs give us an option to rebind without having to resolve to AutoHotKey.

It's supposed to be a Metroidvania, as the game also has a stats system, as well as RPG quests with multiple outcomes, rather than a pure platformer.
Yeah, I read about the weird KB controls on the steam DRM forum.

My preferred controls scheme is LMB attack, RMB jump, WASD move.. and the rest go to M4,M5 and tab, shift, Q/E/R/F.

I only see it advertised as a Platformer, but it has the tag Metroidvania on the steam DRM site. Hence why I asked.
I like Metroidvanias very much. Platformers..maybe, maybe not.
The publisher is "Sold Out". Sold Out as in the budget CD-rom games publisher I wonder?
Vythonaut: For those who are interested in semantics, Aletheia = Αλήθεια = Truth (in Greek). Stunning artwork by the way.
amok: For those interested in semantics, are you not talking about etymology?
Etymology is the historical origin of a word (from an older root or a different language). It is not quite correct to apply the term to an arbitrary direct borrowing. Maybe after the game becomes a major hit and English speakers start naming their children "Aletheia" or genericize the name to refer to the lady's style of hat (e.g. メーテル帽 in Japanese), then you can talk about etymology.

This will be an instabuy.
amok: For those interested in semantics, are you not talking about etymology?
Starmaker: Etymology is the historical origin of a word (from an older root or a different language). It is not quite correct to apply the term to an arbitrary direct borrowing. Maybe after the game becomes a major hit and English speakers start naming their children "Aletheia" or genericize the name to refer to the lady's style of hat (e.g. メーテル帽 in Japanese), then you can talk about etymology.
[...]
It is definitly a grey area, as etymology is also about the meaning of words, not only history, but meaning is achived through historical use, so it most definitly fits that explaing the meaning of a name is etymology, even thoug there are not many steps in the explanation. Semantics is more interested in linguistics, so in structures, logics, cognition and so on - and a part of this is lexigal semantics, which deals with meaning of words. So, yes, it can fit there as well. Semantics, though, tend to look at meanings as part of a larger context (i.e.sentences, social structures, etc), while etymoloy looks at words indivdually, to track the meaning. So while you could argue that this was semantics, I would argue that it is more cloesely related to etymology as it is not contextual, but only the maning of a name.
Post edited November 25, 2020 by amok
Colour me intrigued.
Not a game for me it seems, there were a few parts in the trailer where I had a 'difficult' time differentiating fore- from background. Too bad. :/
Saying that this looks right up my alley would be an understatement. I live in this alley and welcome this newcomer with open arms.
Looks good but does it have mouse aiming/support? Key rebinding? These typically don't.
Welp, it got pushed back to 2021.
But i think it won't be pushed further and further.
Okay I felt happy because I usually sick of modern pixel related games because it act like only 8-bit pixel art exist but this one is actually look like legit 16-bit or even 32-bit pixel art style where people actually put more effort in making pixel art and not just putting several blocks on top of each other and call it a day.

I hope this trend of detailed pixel arts continues, I'm sick and tired of some hipster developers think that being lazy in art dept is okay and they spend more time arguing on twitter rather than making and polishing the game.
Ok, now THIS is how you do pixel art. This looks like a legitimate low-res 32-bit game.

Any pixelvomit merchants out there? Start taking notes.
Release Date Trailer

"Coming 21st May."
Took them a while, didn't it.
Just enough time for GOG to fix the typoo in the sub-forum name for this game, it says 'Cider' instead of 'Cinder'