It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, traveler! Take this moment and relax within the cozy ambiance of our tavern. You see, you’ve come during the Autumn Sale season and you look like quite an adventurous type. Let us regale you with tales of grand journeys and thrilling quests that await you in the realm of adventure video games. There’s so many uncharted lands to discover, enigmatic riddles to solve, and formidable foes to battle. Allow us to introduce you to some of them and then, feel free to pick the adventures that interest you the most. We could use a hero like you.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (-85%)
Immerse yourself in a hauntingly beautiful world as you accompany the fierce warrior Senua on her treacherous quest to save the soul of her loved one. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is more than a game; it's a visceral experience that delves deep into Norse mythology, mental struggles, and breathtaking visuals. Prepare to face your own fears as you navigate through an intricately woven tapestry of challenges that push the boundaries of your perception.

Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition (-75%)
Embark on an odyssey of high fantasy in Pillars of Eternity. As you tread through a richly detailed universe, your choices reverberate across a narrative that molds itself around your decisions. Engage in strategic combat, solve intricate puzzles, and unravel the mysteries of a world teetering on the brink of chaos. Every step you take and every ally you befriend shapes the destiny of this enthralling realm.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary (-89%)
Ah, the legend herself, Lara Croft, beckons you to relive her iconic adventure in Tomb Raider: Anniversary. Reimagined with modern graphics and gameplay, this classic tale of exploration, danger, and discovery unfolds before you. Venture into long-forgotten tombs, solve intricate puzzles, and escape death's clutches by a hair's breadth. With every leap, every swing, you'll feel the thrill of a true adventurer coursing through your veins.

STAR WARS™: Knights of the Old Republic (-65%)
A galaxy far, far away awaits your exploration in STAR WARS™: Knights of the Old Republic. Become the hero—or villain—of your own Star Wars saga as you navigate the complex web of the Force, loyalty, and destiny. Craft your own lightsaber, forge alliances, and make pivotal choices that shape the course of the entire galaxy. May the choices you make lead you to the path that you believe in.

The Curse of Monkey Island™ (-65%)
If laughter is your compass, then The Curse of Monkey Island™ is your destination. Set sail on a whimsical voyage with Guybrush Threepwood, the charmingly inept pirate wannabe. Packed with witty humor, clever puzzles, and unforgettable characters, this point & click adventure is a timeless gem that promises a hearty dose of merriment along with its swashbuckling escapades.

Dear adventurer, these are not mere entertainment; they are invitations to explore uncharted territories, embrace the unknown, and redefine your limits.

As the sun dips below the horizon and the embers of the hearth dance in the cool evening breeze, take a moment to envision yourself as the hero of these extraordinary tales. The adventure begins with a single click, and within these virtual realms, you'll forge memories that will linger long after the final quest is completed. Are you ready to become the legend you were born to be? Your new quest awaits within the Autumn Sale.
HunchBluntley: Well, that's because they're trying to use the term both ways at once. That just compounds the problem of different people trying to use a single term in (at least) two different ways.

This is one of the terminological problems that arises because we (the video-game-playing public) don't bother to make a distinction between -- on the one hand -- genre related to setting, tone, themes and plot (which should, theoretically, be able to be pretty much any of the same variety possible in the various other entertainment media), and -- on the other hand -- gameplay genre, which is obviously a unique facet relative to other media. So if a term that already existed as a genre description in older media winds up getting standardized as a gameplay descriptor in VG, it's inevitable that the two should start to come into conflict at some point.
Breja: But even if you ignore the classic adventure-means-puzzles games from the list here, just remove them outright, you still have games that have nothing in common, in ot just gameplay but also "setting, tone, themes and plot", like Neverwinter Nights and Rayman and Deadly Premonition all dumped together. So the real problem is not that there are two conflicting definitions, it's that unlike with movies (or at least more so than with movies), an overwhelming majority of all games can be described as "adventure" by the "film genre" definition. There are very few games that don't have the player embark on some kind of "adventure". Applied to games this definition is just to broad to be usefull. It's next to meaningless.
You're not going to get any disagreement from me about the vagueness of the term. Personally, I've never even found the "adventure" tag very useful for describing things like movies, precisely because it's so vague and could mean different things to different people.

Also, I'd urge you to not take any list compiled for a promo by GOG as a reasonable guide to what fits in the given category that they're supposedly promoting. That way lies madness. =P

Catventurer: It's no different than how practically everything is an RPG and saying that, both Pillars of Eternity and Knights of the Old Republic are still considered RPGs.
And Skyrim and Fallout 4...
Post edited August 31, 2023 by HunchBluntley
HunchBluntley: Also, I'd urge you to not take any list compiled for a promo by GOG as a reasonable guide to what fits in the given category that they're supposedly promoting. That way lies madness. =P
I know, that's my whole point. I've been harping on the nonsensical tags for what feels like ages, and this is just sort of an extention of that. It just boggles my mind how they refuse to better organise what is the most basic functionality of an online store - facilitating easy browsing and effective searching for products. It's not even like they are raking in such mad profits they can afford not to care.
Post edited August 31, 2023 by Breja
HunchBluntley: Also, I'd urge you to not take any list compiled for a promo by GOG as a reasonable guide to what fits in the given category that they're supposedly promoting. That way lies madness. =P
Breja: I know, that's my whole point. I've been harping on the nonsensical tags for what feels like ages, and this is just sort of an extention of that. It just boggles my mind how they refuse to better organise what is the most basic functionality of an online store - facilitating easy browsing and effective searching for products. It's not even like they are raking in such mad profits they can afford not to care.
GOG, as a company, seems to have a severe case of ADHD. They like to start new initiatives (especially ones they think would make for good PR), but then they just run out of willpower/interest/attention (or, to be fair, money) and either never further develop them, or never even finish them in the first place. Then it's on to the the next shiny idea that they think they can wring some promotional mileage from.
Catventurer: It's no different than how practically everything is an RPG and saying that, both Pillars of Eternity and Knights of the Old Republic are still considered RPGs.
HunchBluntley: And Skyrim and Fallout 4...
I was referring specifically to what's in the first post and... saying that, there's an argument to be made somewhere that Hellblade and Tomb Raider are action games, not adventure games. However I don't play a whole lot of action games and not willing to die on that hill.

This means that of all the games listed in post to come adventure about, only The Curse of Monkey Island is an actual adventure game... maybe. I haven't played it so cannot confirm.