It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner was a college student when he created one of the biggest-selling games of 1984: Karateka. Now, in the form of a new interactive documentary from Digital Eclipse, you’ll be able to discover how Karateka was made through an exhaustive archive of design documents, playable prototypes, and all-new video features.

The Making of Karateka is now available on GOG!

Besides all the interactive documentary elements, The Making of Karateka will also allow you to enjoy pixel-perfect versions of the original Karateka games and a variety of never-before-seen early prototypes, as well as Karateka Remastered – an all-new version of the original game featuring cutting-room-floor content, commentary, achievements, and more, and Deathbounce: Rebounded – a fast and frantic twin-stick shooter based on Jordan's unpublished prototype.

One comprehensive package of the amazing gaming history! And if you want to dive deep into the classics all together, our Autumn Sale is filled with great bargains on them – check them out HERE.
i think it's overpriced a bit
GOG.com: Classic Release: The Making of Karateka
Nice!
Wishlisted.
Can someone comment on the goodies/game structure? Are the original games in any way separate from the "interactive game documentary" experience?
I hope Jeff Gerstmann reviews it.
WinterSnowfall: Can someone comment on the goodies/game structure? Are the original games in any way separate from the "interactive game documentary" experience?
Well, that's kind of a bummer.
The whole thing comes as one big installer, no extras to download.
Once installed, there's a 3GB file called "assets.pie" and some binaries, no separated video-, rom- or emulator files.

It would be a bit exagerated to say "it sucks", but it's kinda annoying. I would like to have put the video specials on my server to watch on TV and only keep the game itself on my PC.

Edit: According to areddit post, this should be able to decrypt the pie files used by Digitale Eclipse into standard zip files. However, neither the key "atari" nor "cowabunga" produced a readable zip file.
I feel so tired: i think it's overpriced a bit
Agree. So are the other releases by this company. And they hardly ever go on sale. But without an alternative ... what can you do?
Post edited August 29, 2023 by neumi5694
So do it contains the game or what? I mean neumi5694 commented it comes all in just a file.
Biruchi: So do it contains the game or what? I mean neumi5694 commented it comes all in just a file.
Yes, it contains the games, video snippets, and photos. The contents are divided into chapters, and each individual item can be accessed via the timeline. To get a better idea of how this looks and works, you can watch the first couple of minutes of the Launch Stream
*Sigh* Can't say I'm a big fan of this presentation format... I mean I both love it and hate it. But am I buying a museum or the game? Because it's sort of the game I want above everything else.

This "Making of" pack is trying to be a documentary and a game collection at the same time and sort of fails to excelled at both IMHO.
neumi5694: Well, that's kind of a bummer.
Thanks for reporting your findings. Hopefully some of the ROMs can be extracted at least, once the script kiddies have a whack at it.
Post edited August 30, 2023 by WinterSnowfall
neumi5694: Edit: According to areddit post, this should be able to decrypt the pie files used by Digitale Eclipse into standard zip files.
Cowabunga 0.3.0 just got released a few hours ago with support for The Making of Karateka.

Edit: I see potential ROMs for the Atari 800, Apple II and C64 that have been extracted. Will try them out shortly.
Post edited August 30, 2023 by WinterSnowfall
Here's Jeff Gerstmann highly praising this release (18:26): https://youtu.be/d8G3unEuN7w?si=RNeB2cGRljq_cV5Q

And here's Jeff playing it for an hour or so:
https://youtu.be/hFQFWjhDJQs?si=HGpDFOzbFfAVJfUD
Post edited September 08, 2023 by tfishell