It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Early access games surely have a certain charm – but nothing compares to the joy of their full release! 2 of such games are joining the GOG catalog today, in their entire glory. Let’s check them out!

The Witch of Fern Island
It’s an adorable simulator game where you’ll find yourself on a titular, mysterious Fern Island. The isle is home to three great magical cultures – Boran, Apatut, and Kuqkwa – including one bright-eyed newcomer, Abrill. You’ll take up the role of a young witch after her crashing onto the island during travels to a magical academy – you’ll want to make the most out of the situation though, to become a full-fledged Witch. But, it’ll soon turn out that becoming a Witch of Fern Island is not all just about passing exams; it’s about finding your place in the world, making friends, unveiling the secrets of the mysterious place, and, most of all, finding joy within every passing moment.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin
Blast, slice and shred through your enemies in this hardcore FPS inspired by the icons of the '90s, powered by the legendary Quake-1 Tech. Taking place in a realm left to rot, take up arms, unearth long-forgotten secrets and hunt down the Guardians of the Old World. You can now get this game with a -15% launch discount until March 5th, 6 PM UTC.

Now on GOG!
gogtrial34987: The Witch of Fern Island looks interesting.
''Interesting'' is an understatement.
The description and every single screenshot brings up questions!!

What kind of names are: Boran, Apatut, Kuqkwa, Abrill, Siemibor...
What is that animal in the 4th screenshot...
''Great Shovel'' in 5th screenshot -- does that mean there are more shovels?!
What exactly are the symbols in the upper left HUD?! Magic-day cycles?!
What are the deities in the last screnshot?
Seeing as how you can dress up as a sumerian/mesopotamian - what other clothing options are there?!

There have been some game descriptions that have left me confused, but this takes 1st place! :''D
Is it right when the gamecard of "Witch of Fern Island" says, that the game has only 2 languages?
On Steam it has a lot more. Could someone, who owned the game, tell me if there are more options?

Thank you!
Post edited February 28, 2024 by Stigga
A witch sim? Looks pretty fun. :)
I read a WRATH review here on GOG talking about save tokens - does WRATH have an issue with a weird save game system, too, just like GRAVEN? Why? Is the game saved on quitting at least? What is it with these devs thinking they need to re-invent the wheel in 2024 and scrap basic quality of life features in order to make games more "challenging"?

Has anyone played the most recent version and can explain how it works?

Spectrum_Legacy: I have Wrath on steam and it's a very legit Quake1.5+ if you will, with hub worlds like in Hexen, but huuuuge levels. If you want to explore and hunt for secrets it will easily take you 90minutes for the larger ones on harder difficulty.
That makes it even more important to know how the save game system works ...

Atlo: ''Great Shovel'' in 5th screenshot -- does that mean there are more shovels?!
Quite likely. It's not uncommon for these crafting games to feature different qualities of tools. IIRC, Wylde Flowers, which is in the same genre (and also about a witch), had different shovels, too. Or at least different axes and pickaxes, so that the most basic one was not strong enough for bigger trees and stones and you had to upgrade at some point.
Post edited February 29, 2024 by Leroux
Leroux: I read a WRATH review here on GOG talking about save tokens - does WRATH have an issue with a weird save game system, too, just like GRAVEN? Why? Is the game saved on quitting at least? What is it with these devs thinking they need to re-invent the wheel in 2024 and scrap basic quality of life features in order to make games more "challenging"?

Has anyone played the most recent version and can explain how it works?
By default, there are save points that are also restoring health, but can be used only once. Aside from that, you can collect "Soul Tethers" that allows you to make quick save (each quick save costs one tether). BUT you can turn on infinite saves in the gameplay options, which allows you to make quick saves without Soul Tethers.
MartiusR: By default, there are save points that are also restoring health, but can be used only once. Aside from that, you can collect "Soul Tethers" that allows you to make quick save (each quick save costs one tether). BUT you can turn on infinite saves in the gameplay options, which allows you to make quick saves without Soul Tethers.
Okay, that doesn't sound too bad, thanks! What happens if you quit the game halfway through a level? Will you have to restart the level from scratch next time? Or can you still load quicksaves or continue from save points after quitting and restarting the game?
Post edited February 29, 2024 by Leroux
MartiusR: By default, there are save points that are also restoring health, but can be used only once. Aside from that, you can collect "Soul Tethers" that allows you to make quick save (each quick save costs one tether). BUT you can turn on infinite saves in the gameplay options, which allows you to make quick saves without Soul Tethers.
Leroux: Okay, that doesn't sound too bad, thanks! What happens if you quit the game halfway through a level? Will you have to restart the level from scratch next time? Or can you still load quicksaves or continue from save points after quitting and restarting the game?
When you wish to load the game, there are three options: Autosave, Shrine or Soul Tether. You can load the "last" saved game from any of those (so last saved shrine, last saved soul tether and last autosave). So as long as you have turned on unlimited quick save and remembered to make a quick save, you can return where you stopped last time.
Leroux: That makes it even more important to know how the save game system works ...
Was already explained, but playing Wrath on hard myself without infinite saves and I have like 20 save tokens (tethers) available...i.e. I find more of them than I need to use. The saving shrine you can use one time is often found like 3-4x in a single level, placed in a useful way. Autosave happens any time you enter a different level/hub, because you can revisit levels at any time to find the rest of secrets etc.
I don't see a problem with save system... probably just some console dork accustomed to auto-checkpoint saves complained somewhere.
MartiusR:
Spectrum_Legacy:
Alright, thank you very much for the detailed explanations!
Wrath looks good, but it irks me how there are no achievements on GOG but of course the Steam version has them, yet they cost the same. If you want us to pay the same price for the same game, you really should offer the same features, including achievements.

Are there at least any plans to implement achievements on the GOG version?
Post edited February 29, 2024 by Psykopat89
Psykopat89: Wrath looks good, but it irks me how there are no achievements on GOG but of course the Steam version has them, yet they cost the same. If you want us to pay the same price for the same game, you really should offer the same features, including achievements.

Yikes, didn't notice that they are missing on gog. Also no word on linux build, steam version does come with it packed into a single download. Someone who has the game here could probably check whether it's just the store page being out of date, or they don't provide those features/builds here.
Psykopat89: Wrath looks good, but it irks me how there are no achievements on GOG but of course the Steam version has them, yet they cost the same. If you want us to pay the same price for the same game, you really should offer the same features, including achievements.

WRATH has achievements visible on GOG, but they don't seem to work (they are all at 0.0%), maybe they are implementing them, at least I hope so.