It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For this year's International Women's Day, our GOG Team members share their favorite games with strong female characters that are available on GOG.COM. Read their stories about what made them fall in love and look up to the characters, and discover their perspectives that show why representation in games is important.

Horizon Zero Dawn
By: Olguese

I loved Horizon Zero Dawn for many reasons: beautifully crafted lore, a post-apo, post-tech world that was a pleasure to look at and explore, an engaging storyline… And of course Aloy and the way she plays the cards she was dealt in life.
In her journey, she overcomes obstacles, both imposed by the social reality she lives in as well as the difficulties living in her world brings. Her unique circumstance meant she had to gain a lot of physical strength. But that is not what makes Aloy strong. Her determination to understand who she was is how she shows strength. She shows strength by overcoming fear and danger to come strongly into her own identity. And with all that, she keeps compassion and softness in her character, which shows that strength can be exercised without sacrificing one’s fragile side.
I would argue that the fact Aloy is a woman is relevant to the story and has a deeper meaning. When she discovers her origins, it becomes clear that the ways in which women can exercise strength are diverse - and all of us can work with that too. A truly inspiring juxtaposition to finish off an exciting journey - both in the machine ridden world and mental reality.

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
By: Ela
This game captivated me with its atmosphere of dread from the very first minute. Playing it was never relaxing - uncertain consequences of losing combat, voices constantly whispering in my ear, creepy visuals all contributed to an intense, immersive experience. It’s a serious game, Senua’s story is dark and at times, disturbing, and it kept me feeling invested. Also, Senua is an interesting character, with flaws and struggles that made her feel real. Add to that superb voice acting and a cool, realistic design. A game with a great story and a possibility to play as a woman who kicks everyone’s ass? Yes, please!

Night in the Woods
By: padlinka

There's something so special about the way Night in the Woods characters interact, something that felt real and relatable to me from the get go. It navigates relationships between mother and daughter, and friends who drifted apart in such a beautiful way, balancing the gloomy and the wholesome, the arguments and the good times.
I love how Mae finds common ground with her mom by talking about morbid stuff from the creepy books her mom loves (eels, honey!).
I love how both Mae and Bea are not without faults and exploring their friendship in game seriously brought me to tears.
And most of all, even though Possum Springs is a town consisting solely of quirky animals, I love how everyone in it is just so deeply human.

Whispers of a Machine
By: Tania

I started playing Whispers of a Machine just because I was looking for some new point&click. Additionally the sci-fi elements were like a cherry on top for me. I soon found out that the game is far deeper in its message than the usual puzzle and riddle solving ones. Seeing the ambiguous points of view of various characters, morality issues and the haunted past of the heroine left me pondering on my own choices and approaches as well as where do we go as humans. I really enjoyed the story and philosophical aspect that reminded me as well of Talos Principle. I highly recommend giving this title a chance.

If those stories picked your interest, and you’d like to experience them yourselves, you can find all of the games from this article, and more, in our GIRL POWER collection.
low rated
Post edited March 10, 2022 by Penguinmancer
low rated
KiNgBrAdLeY7: Happy *LEGIT*-women's day!
I second that emotion.
MrAlphaNumeric: I don't get "women's day" celebrations. Let's be real, every day is women's day.
I concur! lol They rule the world, and they know it.
darthspudius: Any Russian women?
Yeah....what about Sniper Wolf from MGS? I'd celebrate her any day.
Post edited March 10, 2022 by JoaoPauloZA
low rated
KiNgBrAdLeY7: Happy *LEGIT*-women's day!
JoaoPauloZA: I second that emotion.
Thank you for being respectful towards Real Women and considerate. Much appreciated, in the Age of Lunacy, Chromosomal Abnormalities, Make Believe and Cancel Culture.
Post edited March 10, 2022 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
low rated
§pec†re: Aren't women over represented in gogs community staff already?
Trooper1270: And why would that be a bad thing ?...
Let me point you to High Guardian spice and its bad trailer toting how ''diverse and inclusive '' its staff was despite being pretty much all woman who was mostly the same race of woman and mindset judging by what was found of thier social media posts and interests... about the only devise thing about em was the body type and looks nothing else as a whole .. I give this as a example of how such can be a bad thing when those involved dilude themselves into thinking only afew minor factors mostly visual characteristics in general is ''diverse inclusive and understanding '' so if a company's staff is mostly of the same thinking in mindsets and such it can be bad .. Same with if mostly one sex not in general but it indeed has shown to be trouble both ways
low rated
§pec†re: Aren't women over represented in gogs community staff already?
Why is it the case in the first place?

17:10
Post edited March 11, 2022 by §pec†re
§pec†re: Why is it the case in the first place?
But is it actually the case ?. I've not seen anything to back that up, and if it was so, why should anyone really care about the staffing's of a small on-line games shop ?. It's not like there's a lack of male over representation in most areas as it is, it actually completely the opposite...
low rated
MrAlphaNumeric: I don't get "women's day" celebrations. Let's be real, every day is women's day.
No kidding. The west glorifies everything women do and have been putting them on pedestals for decades. I really yearn for the times when virtue signaling morons didn't control the media and our culture.
Post edited March 11, 2022 by HANZ3R
HANZ3R: No kidding. The west glorifies everything women do and have been putting them on pedestals for decades. I really yearn for the times when virtue signaling morons didn't control the media and our culture.
Og!...
low rated
Kadlin: Not to mention they don't let Russian women buy their games. For the simple reason that they are Russian. Women's day my arse. Gog are sexist and racist hypocrites. If you had any respect for women you'd let Russian women, who are in the millions, buy your games.

As a woman, I find your idea of strong females sexist. When I grew up, girls liked harry potter a lot, and even dressed liked him. It wasn't because he was a woman, it was because it was good and they enjoyed it

Stop being awful people and go back to being a shop.
Kasper...: How are they supposed to accept Russian customers if those customers can't spend money outside of Russia (you know, the country that's banned from SWIFT).

You should think instead of crying "muh sexism" and "muh racism".
Maybe some of the hatred of GOG is better aimed at Putin since he started the whole thing?
HANZ3R: No kidding. The west glorifies everything women do and have been putting them on pedestals for decades. I really yearn for the times when virtue signaling morons didn't control the media and our culture.
In other words, the day when white males had total domination and women and non whites knew theri places.
One of the things that has ruined GOG is the right wing trolls who have infested the place.
Trooper1270: Og!...
Yup, somebody sure outed himself as a bigot.
Post edited March 12, 2022 by dudalb
low rated
Kasper...: How are they supposed to accept Russian customers if those customers can't spend money outside of Russia (you know, the country that's banned from SWIFT).

You should think instead of crying "muh sexism" and "muh racism".
dudalb: Maybe some of the hatred of GOG is better aimed at Putin since he started the whole thing?
Or maybe, since Putin "started the whole thing", sanctions should be directed at him, Russian government and Russian military. Not at ordinary Russian gamers.

dudalb: In other words, the day when white males had total domination and women and non whites knew theri places.
One of the things that has ruined GOG is the right wing trolls who have infested the place.
It's not "right wing trolls" who claim that in the 90-s "males had total domination and women and non whites knew their places".
low rated
dudalb: Maybe some of the hatred of GOG is better aimed at Putin since he started the whole thing?
LootHunter: Or maybe, since Putin "started the whole thing", sanctions should be directed at him, Russian government and Russian military. Not at ordinary Russian gamers.

dudalb: In other words, the day when white males had total domination and women and non whites knew theri places.
LootHunter: It's not "right wing trolls" who claim that in the 90-s "males had total domination and women and non whites knew their places".
Ya if anything thats the othersides both legit none kidding sort in terms of the extremists and the trolls on that side as aside from afew outliner nutbars that one still very rarely find on the atleast American right(stating that as I have heard the American right is some other countrys left).. pretty much all rAmerican right ringers are like'' Yeah the 90's was not perfect and there was racial and sexaul troubles for none white people and woman.. But at the very least corporations didn't use em as shields towards critics and not near as a marketing tool/gimmick nor used the issue's as such a marketing tool'' Because they actually admit there was indeed issues but hate how companies and people use anymore varies things to shield critics and the like.. Worst I can real of atleast American media back in the 90's doing in any way remotely similar to modern day crude corpations do was ''the Token character of X race or X sex or X thought process'' ssrt of thing

Edited for the record I am in the center of things
Post edited March 12, 2022 by BanditKeith2