It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Okay, so I had written a lenghty review of all the books I have read recently, but GOG's wonderful forum system just ate my post.

Too bad, but I'm not retyping everything. Just know that World War Z is really a good book.

So far in 2019: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/books_finished_in_2019/post10
xa_chan: ...
Sorry for that. That's why I always obsessively copy longer posts before clicking "Post my message" :|
Regarding World War Z - nothing so special IMO, but I must admit still one of the most interesting books in the genre/subject.
I also liked Zombie Survival, but I like both zombie B-class movies and I'm somehow interested in real survival, so it might be more subjective opinion.
xa_chan: ...
ciemnogrodzianin: Sorry for that. That's why I always obsessively copy longer posts before clicking "Post my message" :|
Regarding World War Z - nothing so special IMO, but I must admit still one of the most interesting books in the genre/subject.
I also liked Zombie Survival, but I like both zombie B-class movies and I'm somehow interested in real survival, so it might be more subjective opinion.
Yeah, I should have done that, that's true... Oh well, next time I'll be more careful!
What I really liked in WWZ is that, in fact, no never really "see" the zombies, they're there but they're not the real center of the story, and that's interesting!
Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality

I’m not in a position to comment on the validity of the science and conclusions presented and don’t care enough to actively seek out the book written to refute them. I will, however, say that the vast majority of what’s presented here is irrelevant either way. The book itself states at one point that “natural” human behavior can change greatly when the conditions do without this making it any less natural, so the behavior patterns of immediate-return hunter-gatherers, not to mention bonobos, need not have anything to do with those of the tremendous majority of people since the advent of “civilization”.
What is relevant has to do with what would be right and making use of the uniquely human capacity of using reason to analyze instincts and urges and override them if that proves the better course of action. One major issue would be commitment, maintaining relationships, be they exclusive or not, yet the authors infuriatingly tend to use the data to argue against it, at least until the last part. But for me personally, as a militant antinatalist and with overpopulation as my main cause, the biggest problem is how many arguments, be they for the current socially-acceptable model or for that the authors advocate, rely on having and raising children at a time when behaviors based on or leading to that need to be stamped out by any means necessary.
Still, the book is written reasonably well, reads easily enough and even the first four parts may be mildly interesting in themselves. But anyone caring for what may actually be relevant in the present day may skip straight to the last part, or perhaps even the last chapter, where the authors seem to plead their case more directly and open up a conversation about what clearly doesn’t work in the current model, the suffering caused by the breakups inherent to serial monogamy and the unhappiness caused by enforced exclusivity with one partner and perhaps limited intimacy with other people. That is indeed what we need to find solutions for, whether they match or run counter to our “nature”.

Rating: 3/5
★☆☆ Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind / Yuval Noah Harari

Full of historical errors and ideologically twisted. In general, whenever facts go against a theory, author reaches for the Hegelian hammer on facts. Relatively the most interesting part are probably the last chapters (these about posthumanism), but for those interested in this topic it will be better to reach for Fukuyama.

List of all books read in 2019.
ciemnogrodzianin: ★☆☆ Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind / Yuval Noah Harari

Full of historical errors and ideologically twisted.
Someone recommended that one to me. While waiting for a flight to depart in an airport I saw the book, picked it up, opened it at a random page and the very first sentence I read is exactly what you just described. What a bummer.
ciemnogrodzianin: ★☆☆ Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind / Yuval Noah Harari

Full of historical errors and ideologically twisted.
ConsulCaesar: Someone recommended that one to me. While waiting for a flight to depart in an airport I saw the book, picked it up, opened it at a random page and the very first sentence I read is exactly what you just described. What a bummer.
Depends on your take on things, I guess.
ConsulCaesar: Someone recommended that one to me. While waiting for a flight to depart in an airport I saw the book, picked it up, opened it at a random page and the very first sentence I read is exactly what you just described. What a bummer.
Cavalary: Depends on your take on things, I guess.
To be fair, I only read a page. But my thought was, "If everything is going to be like this, what's the point?"

I can't remember what it was about (it's been a while). Maybe I should give it a second chance.
Season of Storms

Must start with the fact that the writing style and structure are once again better, not at the level of Time of Contempt or Baptism of Fire but definitely moving away from what made Tower of the Swallow and Lady of the Lake confusing and hard to follow, and gave characters so little chance to shine in those books. It does feel strange to go back to the beginning after the end, but at the same time Season of Storms simply feels just about "right" again, or at least a whole lot more comfortable. The characters seem to be themselves again, the story and atmosphere are fitting, there's plenty of humor without it seeming forced, everything simply flows quite naturally, and some answers may also be found for questions which so far had none.
On the other hand, the answer provided for the most important question is hardly an answer, leaving the matter just about as open to debate and speculation as it was after Lady of the Lake, while a few others may be answers to questions you didn't even know you had, or should have had, so far. And there are questions left unanswered regarding the story contained in this book in itself, and certain moments and events are treated too shallowly, on top of the general fact that it's shorter and less detailed than I consider a fantasy book should be. But, of course, that holds true for all the books in the series, yet they build upon each other and, if you take it as the end instead of the beginning, there is more than enough for it to stand on, without it being required to offer that much worldbuilding and context on its own.

Rating: 4/5
Micro - Michael Crichton & Richard Preston

It's one of the two books published after Crichton's death. To be fair, it's only partially a Crichton book, since he had only written a third of it before passing away.

It's a thriller about microbots and the unknown small world that is all around us. Can't say more without spoiling the story, but Richard Preston, to my opinion, fully understood Crichton's style and point and seamlessly completed the book. Is it a good book, though? Yes, in the sense that it's entertaining, gripping and well documented, but I also felt sometimes it was a bit "generic" in the sense I could swear I had already read something like that from Crichton.

Still, a good read.

So far in 2019: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/books_finished_in_2019/post10
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.

One of the great spiritual books from the last 2500 years or so. Taoism is a beautiful tradition and great philosophy and it's an easy read.
The Hurting Circus, by Paul O'Brien. Concludes the Blood Red Turns Dollar Green trilogy, crime novels set in an alternate history of pro wrestling. This one jumps forward about a decade and picks up with Lenny, the closest thing to a main protagonist in the story, getting out of prison, toughened up quite a lot compared to the geek he was in the first two books.

Like with the previous books, the story basically portrays wrestling promoters like they're mob bosses even to the point of ordering hits on people who cross them. One of my complaints about the second book was that it was a bit too much crime and not enough wrestling, but this one gets back into the wrestling aspect a lot more. Unfortunately, it also gets a bit silly, and in famous trilogy terms, it ends up feeling more like Return of the Jedi than anything else - entertaining but sort of off compared to the earlier chapters. The overall plot wasn't grabbing me very much and I mostly kept reading because I enjoyed the first two books, but then it ends with one of those vague, inconclusive endings that writers today use so much because no one knows how to end a story anymore. You'd think a guy who obviously loves wrestling would understand the importance of a strong finish.
I finished Anna Karenina by L. Tolstoy. Now I will write essay - review on this book. I will apply to college essay writing help for a little help. In his book, the author managed to present a large-scale picture of life and customs of the noble stratum of Moscow and St. Petersburg of the second half of the XIX century. I suggest you to read this book one day.
Post edited April 26, 2019 by davers11
jepsen1977: it's an easy read.
hmmmmmm ;)
Showcase presents: The Great Disaster featuring the Atomic Knights published by DC Comics
This large discounted comic mag book was an impulse buy. A large collection of post-apocalyptic stories written in the 60s/70s.
The Days after Doomsday: various short stories after nuclear war wipes out Earth.
Tales of the Atomic Knights: nuclear war survivors finds radiation treated suits of armor and bands up for law and order. Oddly, they don't find lances and shields, swords and crossbows. Nor do they think to make weapons. Alway mindless head-on melee.
The Gods Return: introduces Atlas the Great briefly and is cut off. Too bad I was getting interested in Atlas.
Then for god-forsaken reasons, Hercules [Unbound] is freed on a deserted island after all these uncounted millennia. More mindless head-on melee.
Then more various stories, mostly Planet of the Apes rejects.
It's pretty obvious that I'm not the target audience. Highly unlikely to get another Showcase mag book.