It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Freedom always comes at a price…

Phantom Liberty, a spy-thriller expansion for Cyberpunk 2077, arrives on GOG on September 26th, and you can pre-order it now. But before you dive into the dystopian reality of Night City yet again, let’s recap everything that comes along!

If you haven’t had a chance to lay yourself on the title just yet, Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure RPG set in the megalopolis of Night City, where you play as V, a cyberpunk mercenary wrapped up in a do-or-die fight for survival. In the full-fledged expansion, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, you return as the cyber-enhanced mercenary and embark on a high-stakes mission of espionage and intrigue to save the NUSA President. In the dangerous district of Dogtown, you must forge alliances within a web of shattered loyalties and sinister political machinations.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty is arriving to all platforms on September 26th, 2023 – and alongside the release, a variety of incredible offers for Cyberpunk 2077 series enthusiasts. Let’s take a look, shall we?

Upon pre-ordering Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, you’ll get a chance to unlock a brand new in-game vehicle, but that’s not all – do you have a GOG account? You’re in luck! You’ll also receive a set of incredible rewards for true CD PROJEKT RED fans. You can expect The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt themed items, such as clothing and magnificent witcher sword, as well as Gwent: The Witcher Card Game themed T-shirt and a stylized gun. You can redeem them as easily as three years ago, during the release of Cyberpunk 2077 – but you can be sure, this time the rewards are even cooler. And be on the lookout; because there's even more to come!

Interested in more cyberpunk vibes? We got you! Everything you need to know about the universe, can be found HERE, on our special page dedicated to Cyberpunk 2077. And...

To make the pre-order even more exciting, your must-check is our brand new Cyberpunk Essentials Collection. The titles you’ll find there will only build up the hype, and feed your dystopian fantasies until the Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty release! And to make it even better, we decided to give it a little twist. If you buy any game from the Collection before June 30th, 10PM UTC, you’ll receive the Cyberpunk Essentials Gift Pack! The Gift Pack is totally optional and claimable via email, and contains a copy of Akane that you'll receive on July 4th, 2023, and the copy of the GOG-chan 3D model that will be available to you on September 26th, 2023. The GOG-chan model is an exclusive 3D-printer-ready figurine wearing a cyberpunk-esque attire!

It’s also worth remembering that each game you buy on GOG is, truly, just yours. Thanks to our DRM-free policy, if you decide to purchase Cyberpunk 2077 or Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty here, the game is yours, forever, with no restrictions – our offline installers make sure of that.

Pre-order Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, as well as Cyberpunk 2077 & Phantom Liberty Bundle that contains both base game and the newest expansion, and is discounted -30% until July 3rd – see you in Night City!
StingingVelvet: And yet when Hitman came out and everyone flipped their shit GOG quickly apologized and admitted it went over the line, removing it from sale.

Whether people like it or not there IS a big difference between the actual game and pre-order fluff.
The fact that there wasn't similar outcry doesn't mean that the behavior wasn't over the line in both instances. Also, my memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure the game was up for like two weeks of sale, could be misremembering though. By contrast, an actually DRM-free game like Death Gate was listed up on this store for like two minutes, lol (exaggerating, but not by much).

Additionally, there is still the paradox with this content of being a bonus/reward/etc. GOG/defenders of such practices can't eat their cake and have it too. If the content really is totally meaningless and doesn't affect a player's enjoyment in any way, etc, then what incentive is there for it to even be a "reward"? The logical inference is that the content has some value (even if it is only a small fraction of game content).

And in any case why is a DRM-free store even engaging in "pre-order fluff". Let me guess...to reach the much-vaunted "modern audiences" who buy Cyberpunk or Witcher 3 on discount and then proceed to buy virtually nothing else. Note: I see plenty of old school minded users super excited about Yakuza game series releases, lest you or anyone try to say the old users already have all the games they want and don't buy any more.

StingingVelvet: Some games lock content behind a can of Mountain Dew, but it's not the actual game so who gives a shit?
Do any games on GOG lock content behind a can of Mountain Dew? If not, then what relevance does this point even have...I'm pretty sure most every game that has done that is in reference to some inherently DRMed bro fps/battle royale/etc multiplayer game.

StingingVelvet: I think you'll find most people who never bend at all are probably more miserable because of it.
By contrast, I find people who "settle" (particularly in areas outside of gaming) to be quite miserable, even if they are reluctant to verbalize such feelings. But, this is neither here nor there and I'm sure there are examples of both. In any instance, this is a meaningless diversion since someone being happy or miserable or ambivalent about content doesn't change the fact of whether it is DRMed or not.
Post edited June 22, 2023 by rjbuffchix
SargonAelther: We did "bend" before. We cared less before. And as a result, they spread this micro-DRM crap to the Witcher 3 remaster and have now doubled it for Cyberpunk 2077. It's clear now that if this is not stopped, this will keep expanding into exclusive missions, characters, maps, etc. CDPR needs to stop idolising Ubisoft and their crappy uPlay rewards right now!
If it expands to real content then I will care, and many more will care. In the meantime it's not DRM to me because it's not content I would ever use or care about. It's like a can of Mountain Dew giving you 10% extra XP for 24 hours, not gonna use it, don't care, Mountain Dew DRM bounces off me. In short I can't care when I don't care, I can only care when I care.

Obviously I get the slippery slope argument, I'm not an idiot, but people have been screaming about slippery slopes on here for 15 years over every little thing and yet GOG's still here selling DRM free games exclusively when no one else will. If they want to encourage Galaxy use (which is what this is) with some dumb t-shirts then I'll allow it. This forum's endless purity tests are tiresome.
StingingVelvet: If it expands to real content then I will care, and many more will care. In the meantime it's not DRM to me because it's not content I would ever use or care about. It's like a can of Mountain Dew giving you 10% extra XP for 24 hours, not gonna use it, don't care, Mountain Dew DRM bounces off me. In short I can't care when I don't care, I can only care when I care.
So you believe that top tier Legendary armor, and a top tier Legendary melee weapon that were all locked behind a DRM wall in CP2077, are somehow not 'real content' simply because you didn't want to make use of them?
Your beliefs are the kind of stupidity corporations love.
DRM is Bad Evil Wrong By Deliberate Design. It harms EVERYBODY.
StingingVelvet: If it expands to real content then I will care, and many more will care. In the meantime it's not DRM to me because it's not content I would ever use or care about. It's like a can of Mountain Dew giving you 10% extra XP for 24 hours, not gonna use it, don't care, Mountain Dew DRM bounces off me. In short I can't care when I don't care, I can only care when I care.

Obviously I get the slippery slope argument, I'm not an idiot, but people have been screaming about slippery slopes on here for 15 years over every little thing and yet GOG's still here selling DRM free games exclusively when no one else will. If they want to encourage Galaxy use (which is what this is) with some dumb t-shirts then I'll allow it. This forum's endless purity tests are tiresome.
So as long as you are not personally affected by a crappy practice, the practice can continue, gotcha. That just tells me that you lack empathy and principles. It doesn't matter what is DRMd, it matters that there is DRM in the first place.

There are multiple DRM-Free stores out there. Some of those even have exclusives that GOG does not. If they suddenly drop out of the DRM-Free market, someone else will get a massive boost in popularity. They may have been on their own in 2008, but not any more. CDP should reevaluate who they are competing against. Steam is not threatened by GOG.

I already use Galaxy. Many people do. Willingly, not because it is forced. These galaxy-authentication requiring games are no longer using the carrot. They are starting to use the stick. Use Galaxy or else! This DRMd content sends a signal that CDP no longer views Galaxy as an optional client for first party games and that is very concerning.

Additionally Galaxy users are not safe either. This stupid launcher-reward system is not new. Ubisoft has been doing this for over a decade. Then they decided that supporting authentication and online systems for older games was no longer viable, so they simply shut it down. They did not bother patching older games to unlock all those rewards by default. They simply let them die. Now you boot an old Ubisoft game, you see an ad for a nice outfit or some extra mission, you try to redeem it and you get a connection error. Fun. Those games were defective by design.

You Think Cyberpunk or Witcher are going to be any different? Maybe they will, maybe they wont. I won't wait 20 years to find out. I buy games on GOG, so I could play them in their entirety 20 years from now, without having a crippled experience. I will demand change now, while it is still reasonable to expect it. Not 20 years from now, where no one will bother fixing up an old game any more. What happened to the idea of game preservation?

If CDP at least came out and promised to make all these stupid rewards enabled by default a year after release, I could relax. Right now, I cannot. They are starting to follow in the footsteps of terrible companies and it saddens me a great deal.
We still have the most powerful society-system ever made in humankind, which is known as "capitalism". Yet we are at a "late age" of this not so well working system anymore. Yet people still put a lot of trust into it, it can not be helped.

The outcome is, the GoG platform is barely managing to stay in the "green zone"; while CDPR is a cash cow... one with pretty fast legs even. So, CDPR will not care to much regarding GoG anymore because we sold our souls to the bucks and at some point the cash cow will jump into the gate of hell... but until this point, all what ever is made will be heading the direction of the cash cows path; not so hard to understand.

Fact is, we have many launcher-bound platforms and those seems to be the most successful ones. Success means cash and this is the strongest social system ever made... at least until the heart is dead and the brain as dumb as a nut. At this point we can eat some bucks, because no other uses anymore, but this will take some time. Until this point people doing "the right thing" will be rewarded.

I do not use the launcher... they can keep the rewards for themself. I can even go play my Cyberpunk totally naked and with all Items stripped away, as a matter of punishment, and finally i may even feel proud about.
Post edited June 26, 2023 by Xeshra