It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just curious if anyone is getting one of the new 5000 series Ryzen chips, or a new motherboard, or both. I'm waiting for January because my mobo's getting a bios update to support the new chips at that time :)

I haven't decided which one I'm going with, but if tax season is good to me, I'll probably get an 8 core. Currently rocking a 3600 and I love it, but of course I want the latest and greatest if it doesn't break the bank.

Have a good night and please post your thoughts here!

EDIT: Some benchies: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/anyone_getting_a_5000_series_ryzen/post49

EDIT: Some more benchies: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/anyone_getting_a_5000_series_ryzen/post52
Post edited October 26, 2020 by CymTyr
I'm not getting a new Ryzen but depending on final prices the 8 core may not be the best choice if you look strictly at the core/price ratio.
no, but if live is good i might switch out the 10600k for the 11700k since that would be a 1200 socket pcu too ;)
Hi there, i just upgraded my system with these parts:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6x 3.60GHz So.AM4 BOX
- 1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7S1T0BW)
- be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
- 32GB (2x 16384MB) G.Skill Trident Z schwarz/weiß DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Dual Kit
- MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (Retail)

And still using my ASUS GTX1060 6GB...the system is working nice and fast with Win10 Prof.
Just bought Horizon - Zero Dawn and it runs perfectly !
Cant wait for Cyberpunk 2077 :D
I didn't like the prices and clocks last year, so I got a 3600X to limit my total spent, but the price hikes and X models coming out first, plus being on B450, I'm not really thinking about it. If there's a BIOS update eventually, I might get an octocore in a year or two to extend the life of this build, otherwise I'll just sell everything and start from scratch on AM5.
kmanitou: I didn't like the prices and clocks last year, so I got a 3600X to limit my total spent, but the price hikes and X models coming out first, plus being on B450, I'm not really thinking about it. If there's a BIOS update eventually, I might get an octocore in a year or two to extend the life of this build, otherwise I'll just sell everything and start from scratch on AM5.
The B450 and X470 are getting a bios update in January/February depending on your manufacturer that's supposed to make them compatible with the 5000 series, so that's the only reason I'm considering it.

I get ok'ish performance for the components I have, but wouldn't mind a better minimum fps on games, and a few other things the 5000 series is better at than the 3000 series.

I'm kind of tempted to get a new motherboard for pcie 4.0 so my 5700 XT can fully function, but I don't know if I want to rebuild the pc I just rebuilt a couple of months ago when I got a new case : /

I guess it depends on what you want to do and what upgrade you're looking for. I think the AM5 will probably be solid based on the Ryzen output, but I don't know if I'm patient enough to just rock the 3600 for the next 2 years....

In any case, it's something to think about, and I'm having fun just geeking out thinking about the next gen and it coming very soon now.

Have a great day,
-Cym
gabbawokky: Hi there, i just upgraded my system with these parts:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6x 3.60GHz So.AM4 BOX
- 1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7S1T0BW)
- be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
- 32GB (2x 16384MB) G.Skill Trident Z schwarz/weiß DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Dual Kit
- MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (Retail)

And still using my ASUS GTX1060 6GB...the system is working nice and fast with Win10 Prof.
Just bought Horizon - Zero Dawn and it runs perfectly !
Cant wait for Cyberpunk 2077 :D
Solid system there :) I have the 3600 with a 5700 XT graphics card, and it's alright but I went through hell with the graphics card and its drivers until it finally stabilized recently.
Judicat0r: I'm not getting a new Ryzen but depending on final prices the 8 core may not be the best choice if you look strictly at the core/price ratio.
It's either going to be the 5600 or the 5800 depending on price and my wallet.
Post edited October 18, 2020 by CymTyr
I'm probably getting a 5900X, but not until next year.
clarry: I'm probably getting a 5900X, but not until next year.
Nice. It's looking like it'll be a good chip!
Hmm, are there X570 mobos that require no chipset fan? Alternatively, is there something with a good sized heatsink that takes a standard fan so I can buy one (+ spares) from Noctua and know that my PC won't be ruined by a shitty & whiny little motherboard fan with bearings made of recycled condoms?
Yes, my next build will have a 5900X
Post edited October 18, 2020 by Agent-94
Preliminary prices have shown up and they are high. Wait for independent tests.

Sure I could be interested in upgrading but the cost will probably stop that from happening. The improvement must be significant at a reasonable price that I can afford, which basically means I must be able to sell my current processor.
Likely. I got my 3600 as a stopgap when building my current machine, and will pick up the equivalent to the 3950x when the final generation of CPUs for the AM4 socket are released. This machine should last me nearly a decade, so I want to have the best gear in it to last while waiting for AM5 to near retirement.

I want to upgrade whenever the current generation is nearly replaced, so that I can enjoy the benefits of mature technology and save a bit of coin.
Themken: Preliminary prices have shown up and they are high. Wait for independent tests.
The first shop I checked suggests 5600X will go for 319 EUR, whereas 3600XT is currently 269 EUR. So 19% price increase over the predecessor. If the claimed 19% IPC advantage is true, then it doesn't seem that high to me. You'd also get a 30% reduction in TDP, which is really nice.

I guess the 8 core chips start with a lower value, which is a bit of a shame.. but then again, I think I paid 600 EUR for my 1800X at launch.

I'm thinking of upgrading my little sister's PC real soon now, but I have a hard time deciding whether to go for the budget option (6 cores 3600XT or 5600X?) or 8 (Zen 2 or Zen 3?), especially now that 8-core PS5 is around the corner and games will likely to be making better and better use of these extra cores.
Sabin_Stargem: I want to upgrade whenever the current generation is nearly replaced, so that I can enjoy the benefits of mature technology and save a bit of coin.
I was kinda thinking that I'd upgrade to the latest AM4 Zen after buying into the platform with the first gen Ryzen.. shame that the X370 chipset will not officially support Zen 3. So I'm gonna have to get a new mobo. Might want to get new RAM too since officially compatible RAM wasn't available at launch and the cheap Kingston (2667Mhz Hynix dual rank, 4 sticks, 32 GB total...) I bought are neither fast nor perfectly stable with my 1800X.
Post edited October 18, 2020 by clarry
clarry: I was kinda thinking that I'd upgrade to the latest AM4 Zen after buying into the platform with the first gen Ryzen.. shame that the X370 chipset will not officially support Zen 3. So I'm gonna have to get a new mobo. Might want to get new RAM too since officially compatible RAM wasn't available at launch and the cheap Kingston (2667Mhz Hynix dual rank, 4 sticks, 32 GB total...) I bought are neither fast nor perfectly stable with my 1800X.
Sometimes BIO upgrades can allow support for newer stuff - but that is dependent on who did the motherboard and whatnot. Be sure to check before laying out the dough.