It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Elmofongo: Well I was going to say. "Well games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Thief are priced the same on Steam"

But I found out that UT2004 is 15 instead of 10 and interestingly enough Thief 1 and 2 on steam is cheaper than GOG by $6.99 :P
Ubisoft games are also cheaper on Steam in Europe. Assassin's Creed, Heroes of Might & Magic V and Rayman Origins cost 10€ on Steam, as opposed to GOG where they cost 20$ (~14.5€)
Telika: The most important question : Will you make a sequel to your famous "i told you you don't work here anymore" video ?

Seriously, that would be hilarious. I'm not sure how it would be recieved by the public, but you certainly at least owe us this.

(As a PUNISHMENT, if anything.)
:D
this needs to happen:
Elmofongo: So meaning no games already here will change their price?
Basically they've said the option is now there for them. GOG might advise against it, but the decision is now in the hands of the dev/publishers. It's up to them whether they want regional pricing or not.

So any faith you have or may have that prices will remain the same basically comes down to how much faith you have in the dev/publishers on the matter.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Pheace
I still want to know how regional pricing will affect people who live and work in one region, but have their credit cards and billing addresses in another region. I use the card that will give me the most advantageous currency conversion rates and low fees for my online transactions, but it's not where I live and work, nor the currency in which I earn my money.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by JaqFrost
Ganni1987: Many people here disagree with this change and partially so do I, but I really have to ask, do any of you buy games on Steam or GamersGate?
Very seldom and very reluctantly. In the last three years I bought one game from Steam, three from GamersGate and fifty from GOG.
HypersomniacLive: Speaking of messaging - you never told us how that poker game ended for you, winner?
Sadly, no: spending the evening sitting on the fora meant that my attention was not well directed, and I ended up losing due to a few poorly-placed bets. One of the guys who used to be part of customer support walked home with the win.
sivartwoa:
Pretty much yes: http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs
Worst offender today: Silent Hunter 3: € 19.49 in europe while: $6.49 » € 4.73 (-75.73%).
adamhm: I don't think games already available here are going to change price due to this.
As TET said already, it *could* happen, but only when the contracts come up for renegotiation, so it'll be a while at least before anything changes
Any current existing publisher on gog can have a new aaa dayzero release and use it as a strong argument in re-negociation of existing contracts for current (older) fixed priced games on gog.
So it can happen sooner than everyone think.
Once you open the pandora box anything can happen, the sky is the limit (and it will probably end with publishers showing their pure greed as it already happened elsewhere). That is why tet couldnt make any promises, that is why tomorrow gog's bosses will not make any promises, because they know anything can happen when you allow unfair regional pricing (rip-off)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by mobutu
TheEnigmaticT: ...Guillaume is writing a more in-depth explanations about what exactly we're planning on doing with regional pricing in the future. ...
Maybe he could eloborate in this writing a bit why worldwide equal prices aren't so important anymore, how GOG.com wants to fight the disease of regional pricing potentially taking over the whole catalogue and how safe DRMfree, the last (ultimate) core value, is. That would really interest me. A bit of an apology for the "Good news" attitude would be nice to. :)
mobutu: Any current existing developer on gog can have a new aaa dayzero release and use this a strong argument in re-negociation of existing contracts for current (older) fixed priced games on gog.
So it can happen sooner than everyone think.
One you open the pandora box anything can happen, the sky is the limit. That is why tet couldnt make any promises, that is why tommorow the bosses of gog will not make any promises, because they know anything can happen when you allow unfair regional pricing (rip-off)
Yes, possibly. It depends on the contracts that they have signed with GOG and the details of those are unavailable to any of us. But if they did it would be their loss really... changing the existing pricing of their games here for the worse will not help improve their sales.
TheEnigmaticT: Sadly, no: spending the evening sitting on the fora meant that my attention was not well directed,

snip
Maybe not regarding the poker game ;-P

TheEnigmaticT: Sadly, no: [...] and I ended up losing due to a few poorly-placed bets. One of the guys who used to be part of customer support walked home with the win.
Bummer, sorry to hear that :(
Was the win any good or just the usual six-pack?
sivartwoa:
blotunga: Pretty much yes: http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs
Worst offender today: Silent Hunter 3: € 19.49 in europe while: $6.49 » € 4.73 (-75.73%).
That's what you can expect to see on GOG in future.

So, if it's a case of buying from GOG or buying a game in a games store in your own country and paying the same price you would pay on GOG, you might as well support a company in your own country.

For me, if it's a choice between buying on GOG at an inflated price, or in a store in Thailand, (or in the UK or Spain if I'm there), I'll choose the latter.

After all, there's no point supporting an online company that a) isn't paying taxes in the countries I live in so not helping the society I live in and b) allowing their customers to be price-gouged.

Honestly, the more I think about this I can see that this is the first nail in GOG's coffin, and the people who own the company don't have enough business sense to see it.

People buy on GOG for several reasons, but the two most important things have always been DRM-Free and No Regional Prices. Now one of those is taken away, that's already a 50 percent reason for not buying games on GOG anymore.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist (or maybe it does if the GOG management team are anything to go by?) to figure out there are other ways to get DRM-Free games at reasonable prices, or even free, if you don't want to support a company that isn't supporting you.
Some of you guys are really drastic in your assessment and also a tad pessimistic about things don't you think?.
Niggles: Some of you guys are really drastic in your assessment and also a tad pessimistic about things don't you think?.
Just realistic as they also said the free bonuses are for pre-orders for limited time.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Ekaros