It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
Why can't we keep it "one fair price" all around the world and then just charge the Europeans and Australians the taxes they're supposed to pay? I think that would still be cheaper for them.
GabiMoro: My opinion is the regional pricing is due to a European Union action. It's not coincidence that in the last 2 weeks many digital distributors started adding VAT for european buyers.
I think too, that's too quick to be a coincidence.
GabiMoro: My opinion is the regional pricing is due to a European Union action. It's not coincidence that in the last 2 weeks many digital distributors started adding VAT for european buyers.
Well, EU will get some love from me in the coming Euro-election :) I'll do my best to send someone who... doesn't like it that much there :)
DRM-free is going in a year or two. Why, well that's Obvious.

First let me say this: I never pirated a game and I do not like it when people pirate but this is going to happen:

Because of this bullshit a lot more gog versions will be found on pirate sites and a lot more people will pirate gog games in comparison with now. Publishers will notice and go to gog: no more drm-free. Gog at this point is only 10cm from the ground with their noses so they will bend over a bit more (they have gone this low already so who cares anymore) and DRM-free gone and in less then a year: gog.com gone. Might as well start backing up your games.

Let's just hope this doom sceneario will never happen...
HGiles: Wait, limited DRM? This is the first time I've heard of that.
gibbeynator: GOG did a survey around a year ago, asking people about putting limited DRM in games in an attempt to bring in some newer releases. We said no, and they said "we super duper pinkie promise to only sell DRM-filled games if they have some kind of offline mode". Not sure what happened afterwards, but it was surveyed alongside Early Access, and that's supposed to be coming sometime this year.
I thought you were talking about something new.

Selling games with DRM deactivated and no multiplayer, or CD key-based multiplayer, is something GOG already does. That's not a concern for me.
mqstout: To be honest, I'd rather not have the game in the GOG catalog than have you tread down this slippery screw-the-customer-over slope, just as I can and do go without the game than have DRM.
It seems likely this is the result of new rules in the EU. GOG may not have a choice about it. It's not the only distributor adding regional pricing recently.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by HGiles
DukeNukemForever: Let me see if I'm getting it right, because steam uses regional pricing to milk the people it's unfair if gog wouldn't do that. Okay, that's a very consumerfriendly point of view...

And by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos&index=4&list=PL1F3FBEB10D92C9E8

While joking there on gamersgate mainly for regional pricing and blue coins can we at last please get green coins now so we easily can bypass the regional pricing without using bank informations on proxy servers?
Downloading the YouTube vid as I type - might be taken down now that it's become irrelevant to GOG's business model and "customer love".
GoG right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8AWHzO2c8gc#t=201
InkPanther: I'm sorry, but in my opinion you're sending exactly opposite message. Letting this happen for new games clearly indicates that it's no longer one of your principles. It gives publishers a very strong argument in case of renegotiating prices for classic games, you know it, and I seriously doubt you have anything to counter this. So please stop pretending otherwise and treat as with respect like you used to...
I wonder if this is a blessing in disguise... Consider, if there is 1 game on a site that has regional pricing, and 100 games that aren't, then after say a month you do a side by side comparison and find adding regional pricing has limited it's buys to the region with the lowest equiv price, then maybe the regional pricing will be proven as a bad idea. Even better is afterwards regional pricing is dropped and the game sales increase dramatically!

Honestly I dislike regional pricing, I'd rather find someone who's willing to buy say 50 copies of a game, and then gift/trade them for the same value (plus fees for the trade), but seeing as GoG doesn't do buying in bulk that becomes a pain...

And if they merely do $1=€1 isn't bad, not ideal but not bad, it's maybe 20% higher?
Looks like this guy came back... and took TET's T-shirt.
high rated
GOG.com: ..., and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe ...
The same is true for Linux ports, they are becoming very common. Does this mean you will start offering them in the near future? :)
high rated
GOG, please be firm here and deny those greedy publishers access to GOG. It will seriously harm your reputation if you start charging regional prices. This has to end here and now; dare to draw the line.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by jorlin
HGiles: Wait, limited DRM? This is the first time I've heard of that.
Planetary Annihilation will come with cd key that you need to activate in order to play online. But I don't understand why make a fuss about it as there are already games here with such system (Unepic or Wargame: EE)
mangamuscle: I am all for it as long as it makes it CHEAPER for us third world countries.
not trying to be selfish, but I'm happy to agree!
lotsa potential here and there, huh pal?
InkPanther: I'm sorry, but in my opinion you're sending exactly opposite message. Letting this happen for new games clearly indicates that it's no longer one of your principles. It gives publishers a very strong argument in case of renegotiating prices for classic games, you know it, and I seriously doubt you have anything to counter this. So please stop pretending otherwise and treat as with respect like you used to...
rtcvb32: I wonder if this is a blessing in disguise... Consider, if there is 1 game on a site that has regional pricing, and 100 games that aren't, then after say a month you do a side by side comparison and find adding regional pricing has limited it's buys to the region with the lowest equiv price, then maybe the regional pricing will be proven as a bad idea. Even better is afterwards regional pricing is dropped and the game sales increase dramatically!

Honestly I dislike regional pricing, I'd rather find someone who's willing to buy say 50 copies of a game, and then gift/trade them for the same value (plus fees for the trade), but seeing as GoG doesn't do buying in bulk that becomes a pain...

And if they merely do $1=€1 isn't bad, not ideal but not bad, it's maybe 20% higher?
That's assuming that people don't just bend over for this. If they're able to get LA or MS with this, people here might just put up with it. Especially if it brings the LA back catalogue that's though to get these days.
I don't think they think it's good, that's just marketing for you: present something that's shit and pretend it's good.
Happens all over business in our best world possible.