It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
groze: snip
Ok, again, sorry if I got under your skin. Wasn't my intention.

Take care.
Darvond: I'll give GOG the benefit, but the publishers are going to be getting tossed to the lions.
johnnygoging: edit: well not me as much (if any)as the people in europe and others that enjoy regional pricing like that.

no that's you & me. the publishers will most likely be just fine. if anything, it'll be the smaller guys like larian and devolver and paradox that suffer the fallout of this the most, with the larger ones getting less than them.
Perhaps I should have added, 'in an ideal world' or 'If GOG is just.'
Duke22: As such, they have to make some compromises to get certain games on here. Their opinion on regional pricing is noted, but they don't really have much say in the matter.
No, they don't have to make compromises. They could decide to not sell the games. It's what they did before.
high rated
I am so disappointed GOG, that I am thinking about it whole day... And still can't find any reasonable argument for your fucking decision!

There is no excuse for regional pricing in the world of digital distribution!
There is not such game in the world, which can excuse greed of publishers! Just fucking say NO to them!
Yet another new game will not be available here? Even it is quite good? And what? Other good games have implemented steamworks and will never be available here...And who from your loyal customers cares?
How you want to avoid people gifting games from cheaper regions? By regional locked installers? Great idea!
How many games from Top 100 of GOG wishlist match this regional pricing case? I bet only one or two, if any...
Stick to your principles, look what people wishlisted and want here!
Look how deep in the wishlist is e.g. that mentioned Divinity Original Sin! And how many disappointed users are here in the forum! Even Witcher 3 is not worth that change in policy (really hope it is not the case again!) ! It is not that long ago, people did not care about new games at all! You grabbed quite a few cheapskates by your incredible low priced promos and free games, but they do not care about your DRM-free revolution! They will go to buy games for cheap elsewhere!

I always supported you by buying nearly everything I was interested "just to show other publishers you are doing well", but I will probably stop it, I have enough games to play till my death...but I can't trust you anymore! How somebody can now?
Look what you have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIYJ15CMbk
Shame on you! And please do not write anymore anywhere you are treating all gamers fairly! With regional pricing it is not the truth!

Better stand up and say proudly "we have to fuck you, gamers, because we want to be big and incredibly rich!", like others do, not bullshiting us with "Yay new great games coming!!!" news!
At least you will stay trustworthy!
Post edited February 22, 2014 by cyboff
Novotnus: ...and this happened.
Needs more votes - A.S.A.P.!!
johnnygoging: The most derogatory comments have come from those taking issue with those who were made upset by this.
Potzato: Nice observation ....wait ...did you read the whole thread ? If so please register yourself to the nearest psychiatric institute, you crazy goglodyte !
I didn't want to put in my post until I'd read the other ones. But as I would get through the page I was reading, 1 or 2 more would replace it on the end. I was just reading pages and making no more progress towards the thread. Needless to say the thread ended up taking on a life of its own. Even so, I started skimming a little bit around like high 50 pages or 60 or so.
groze: ...That's all I think we should do, give GOG the benefit of the doubt...
ydobemos: What doubt? They've told us plainly that they're doing it.
Exactly.
Remember to vote here: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/ban_all_regional_pricing_from_gog_stick_with_your_principles
Post edited February 22, 2014 by lmc2002
So does this mean DRM is coming to GOG as well? Will all games in the catalog be regionally priced?
If this brings more games here that wouldn't be here otherwise then i'm all for it because at least here i feel like i own the product that i'm buying.
high rated
cyboff: Look what you have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIYJ15CMbk
You know what time it is?
It's MS Paint time!
Attachments:
lmc2002: Exactly.
I suooose you are playing dense, but the original post means that we should wait and see how this rols outs, the fears of many people are under the asumption of a worst case scenario, so far NOTHING (they could have done this press release next week or even later on) really has happened, at the very least we need to wait what news come in six weeks.
groze: ...That's all I think we should do, give GOG the benefit of the doubt...
They told us plainly that they're doing it regarding some games, and it will be entirely up to the publishers, but they didn't say all games will be affected by this, they sure as hell didn't say they're going DRM or even semi-DRM, and people keep saying that's what will happen "for sure". So, yes, they deserve some benefit of doubt, obviously not towards what they already told us will happen, but for all the theories people keep coming up with, all in the realm of hypothesis.

I don't know any better, I can't know for sure things will turn out OK, but I'm willing to trust them a bit longer and actually see how this turns out, instead of starting to back up all my GOG files right away because this means "GOG is doomed and will end, inevitably".
Novotnus: You know what time it is?
It's MS Paint time!
Oh shi-
Turjake: After all, they did succeed at making a good business out of games without DRM. Why give up now?
d2t: Maybe the business is not going so well anymore? Sometime ago GOG had exclusive access to classic games working on modern OSes... now these keep on appearing on Steam and other places (and often as the same versions as these on GOG). When it comes to indies - let's be honest, HiB or even Steam is doing much better job there (HiB sales wise, Steam features wise - GOG doesn't even offer multiplayer unless dev builds it themselves and most use Steam for that). On top of that, I haven't seen any new big publisher on this site for 18 months or so...

So, yeah, surely they had a good business, but doesn't seem like it has many years perspective in it's current form. Unless everybody here is fine with GOG declining into a small museum with some classics... I bet a many of people wouldn't mind it, but from a business point of view, it strikes me as a slow death.
You have just read my thoughts; being from Spain (eurozone) I could say "So that´s gonna be even expensive! Damn you GOG!" But I´m not going to that way since I CAN´T predict how will be things in the future; like dt2 said I have the feeling time ago Gog is tryingo to "diversify" in the market since it´s losing its best field (drmfree vs humblestore, and old exlcusives aginst steam)

I hate to see old games in steam for 10 euros and without no tweaks for new computers (Thief saga, Commandos saga, etc etc) but funny thing, people buy them.

I would love to stick with the no region price but since I´m more afraid that GOG WILL GO TO BANKRUPCY someday, I´m willing even spendt a little more, if region price isn´t abussive (and since WE don´t know, we only can give some hipothesis, but not jump one year in the future and complaining about Gog´s way.

I totally understand and respect some opinions, and like I said, I would love to stick with $ since It would be cheaper for me...but I dont understand so much people said "if Gog do this, it will be like Steam,and steam is better"

Really? And why are you supporting steam in first place if you HATE region price? =_= (I´m talking to people that want to left this to keep going to steam..that doesn´t make any sense )

In the bright side, I think this kind of threads really help to bring real problems and concern, since I still remember how abussive were steam prices when it went $=euro but later, some companies set their prices adjusted to every market (even some european games are even cheaper than us games )
Potzato: Nice observation ....wait ...did you read the whole thread ? If so please register yourself to the nearest psychiatric institute, you crazy goglodyte !
johnnygoging: I didn't want to put in my post until I'd read the other ones. But as I would get through the page I was reading, 1 or 2 more would replace it on the end. I was just reading pages and making no more progress towards the thread. Needless to say the thread ended up taking on a life of its own. Even so, I started skimming a little bit around like high 50 pages or 60 or so.
I understand, when I read your post I was thinking "Hey, I have the same impression, even if I read only a tenth of it at best", then I wondered I you actually managed to read even half of this monster and it made me chuckle.

Sidenote : talking about pages really depends on the number of posts displayed at once, for instance in my perception it reached 32 pages. Better talking in number of posts :)
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Potzato