It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING... Or not... May be fun to discuss, but really need to wait as see what really occurs. We are not forced to buy another game here or anywhere else for that matter (and actually I think my game back log will last me 30 years any way!) I appreciate that GOG is trying to keep the good games rolling in, if someone does it better, I can always switch. :)
megarock58: @The Enigmatic T, Is this announcement regarding regional pricing only for new releases is it for classic releases as well?
HGiles: He said that right now it's only for new releases. But since GOG has given ground on this, who knows.
jforte: Eh, yeah, I see your point. Still I think it helps soften the blow, at least for the "limited time".

Don't get me wrong, I think regional pricing is bollocks, but I don't think regional pricing on three games warrants all the doomsday "well, so much for GOG" comments.
HGiles: There is some overreaction in the thread, but that's what people do. I think most of the concerns are pretty reasonable. If GOG is changing their business strategy in this, what else might they be changing? It will be good if we get many more games out if it. It could also result in significantly reduced market share and brand confusion.
I think the point is that they've changed basically everything except the DRM free and quality games values. And the latter is clearly relative seeing as some of the games on here don't run reliably.
high rated
Let me see if I'm getting it right, because steam uses regional pricing to milk the people it's unfair if gog wouldn't do that. Okay, that's a very consumerfriendly point of view...

And by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos&index=4&list=PL1F3FBEB10D92C9E8

While joking there on gamersgate mainly for regional pricing and blue coins can we at last please get green coins now so we easily can bypass the regional pricing without using bank informations on proxy servers?
Post edited February 21, 2014 by DukeNukemForever
high rated
I'm wondering.... would there be any circumstances where Regional Pricing would actually make it *cheaper* for a GOG user somewhere in the world as opposed to how things are at present?

Beyond that, I'm content at present to take the 'wait and see' approach and then vote with my wallet should I be displeased with the results....
Not Great.
Redfoxe: No GOG
I dont like it.
Kind of reminds me of Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy. :p

Also, I'm curious - are there any "old" games that are sold on GOG and Steam which have regional pricing on the latter? I don't think that's the case but I'm not sure. Hopefully the regional pricing doesn't spill over into existing games on the catalog (old or new), and it seems that won't happen per TET's comments.
2 RPG's and a strategy game:

Witcher 3
?

?
high rated
With regional prices, why would I Want to buy a game from here at full price? I will just do what I do with Steam, buy when the game is sold for 90% off. At least MY pain will be far smaller.

Simply not cool GOG.

As for the pre orders, yeah I like that, but I won't buy any of them again. Main reason is I won't pay full price for a game which is priced differently in this region and second because 99% of games today are just beta releases masquerading as gold. (and by gold I mean what it was originally gold supposed to mean for game releases)

And as a previous customer mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos&index=4&list=PL1F3FBEB10D92C9E8
Post edited February 21, 2014 by trusteft
wolfsite: 2 RPG's and a strategy game:

Witcher 3
?

?
Age of Wonders 3
Divinity: Original Sin
wolfsite: 2 RPG's and a strategy game
Planetary Annihilation :)
Post edited February 21, 2014 by vicklemos
Witcher 3 with bonus of Witcher 1 free :)
wolfsite: 2 RPG's and a strategy game
vicklemos: Planetary Annihilation :)
Coincidentally also the game GOG used as an example of implementing limited DRM on their releases.
GOG.com: Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles.
Wurzelkraft: So let's say a game is 40$ in the US and knowing greedy publishers it would be 40€ here in EU, how much would it be in $ then? Am I going to get charged about ~55$ (today's conversion rate on google) PLUS PayPal fees for conversion? If that is the case....wow. I'd seriously consider buying a cheaper DRM-infested copy in this case.
Bumping because I want to know if I'm reading the announcement correctly and making the right assumption. Is this what it says or am I completely wrong with my maths?
high rated
Well this stinks!

And where regional pricing goes, "NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION" is sure to follow.

Really wonderful.
high rated
Why did I open this thread? Thanks for ruining our weekend, GOG.

Regional pricing, huh? Another fortress seems to fall. Makes one wonder how far this will go over time.
Coming so soon after the introduction of Humble Store's regional pricing, this disguised announcement shakes the trust we had in GOG to not compromise their principles (the "one world wide price" is already gone from the store front page banner). I guess the time for watching for potential unpleasant surprises has finally arrived.

I'm equally, if not more, frustrated by the fact that you chose to hide this unfavorable for a good number of us decision under the flashy, marketing-oriented but still misleading title of the announcement instead of being completely open and transparent about what the actual content of this announcement. You wanted to introduce regional pricing? Then, please, call it by its real name.

TheEnigmaticT: Divinity: Original Sin is an example of the kind of game we're talking about; it's already launched on Steam for early access with regional pricing, and it wouldn't be very fair of Larian to give our EU and UK users a better value for the game if they buy it from GOG.com later as opposed to Steam now.
Seriously? With all due respect, that just sounds like GOG's (and Larian's?) poor attempt at rationalising the decision. Didn't seem to be a problem with Divinity: Dragon Commander (both editions) only a few months ago - and that's just taking the latest of Larian's games.

If this is a good example of what those "changes in our business model" entail, expect a lot of disappointed (even angry) users.

TheEnigmaticT: No. DRM is not negotiable. We had to decide which was more important to us: making more games DRM-Free, or keeping flat pricing? Many games that we could add to GOG.com (DRM-free, even!) are not available to us because of the legal messes that are involved with regional pricing.

Yeah, that's a case where regional pricing ended up being required for the game, and seeing lawsuits like that has a certain chilling effect on other souls who may be adventurous enough to try DRM-free. This is what had to happen to get more games that are legally tied up with regional pricing available DRM-free.

We honestly don't know what's going to happen with our classic games (who knows what happens when lawyers get involved?) but we can say that it is in no way our intent to bump up these prices for different regions.
You say it's not negotiable today. There's no guarantee this is not going to change in the future - It may have to happen to... Sadly, even if you did say so, after this announcement, some doubt will remain in the back of our head keeping us alert.
I guess we have to wait and see how regional pricing is going to be implemented, but if it's a matter of agreements under the threat of potential lawsuits, I can't see it going any other way than how it's implement elsewhere.

EDIT: Oh, $1=1€ confirmed, lovely.

TheEnigmaticT: You'll see the price that you're paying on the game page with the USD equivalent under it. It should be pretty evident.
I'm confused - since you only accept USD dollars, can you give us an example to clarify what exactly you mean?