It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There are a lot of amazing game settings out there, from whimsical fantasy worlds to gritty modern-day settings, but one game world that gamers everywhere love to dive into is futuristic dystopian settings. From games like System Shock to Blade Runner, to upcoming games like Cyperpunk 2077, the genre is full of iconic titles.

One title that continues to bring gamers into the dystopian cyberpunk world is Deus Ex. First released 20 years ago, Deus Ex has aged like a fine wine and we thought it was the perfect time to look back at this title and explore its world, gameplay, and the team behind the sci-fi first-person roleplaying game.

A world plagued by nano-viruses and organizations vying for control

The world of Deus Ex can sometimes feel familiar, as it’s set on earth, but it’s the year 2052 and the world is battling a nano-virus called the Gray Death. The world is in ruins and various corporations and organizations are vying for control.

Deus Ex draws players into its world by mixing engaging dystopian storytelling with real-world elements that may be familiar to some players. This includes leaning into conspiracy theories like Area 51, the Illuminati, and even theories revolving around vaccines.

Blending all of these elements, organizations like the Illuminati, the Knights Templar, Bilderberg Group, and the Trilateral Commission are going to great, terrible lengths to see themselves in power. They are so dastardly that NATO has classified them as terrorist organizations. That’s where you come in.

You play as JC Denton, an agent working for a new form of NATO, the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO). You are one of a new line of agents, ones equipped with nanotechnology that give you superhuman abilities.

The gameplay of Deus Ex

As JC Denton, you’ll have a variety of tools at your disposal to see you through the game. That’s where Deus Ex shines - player choice. Deus Ex combines role-playing, first-person shooting, and stealth to make each encounter unique.

Maybe you’ll want to shoot your way through a situation. It’s possible. Maybe you’d prefer to go a more stealth approach. Also completely viable. In some situations, you may be even to talk your way out of an altercation. The roleplaying elements also give you the chance to bolster your skills, giving you an advantage depending on how you’d like to play.

If guns-a-blazing is your style, then you’re in luck, as you’ll have 24 weapons at your disposal, and can even improvise with environmental objects. The game was also one of the earlier titles to use a dynamic aiming system, meaning your crosshairs adjusts in size depending on if you just show, or are moving. These things can also be improved by upgrading the appropriate stats.

Because of these various options, players may not get the full story the first time playing, encouraging replayability. Your decisions directly impact other characters’ perceptions of you and even parts of the overall story.

Creating Deus Ex

These player options were integral to the creation of Deus Ex, the gameplay, and the setting. Producer Warren Spector was inspired by his wife’s love of the show X-Files and how it blended the fantastic with the real world. This is why there are so many real-world elements in the game.

When Ion Storm took on the title, Spector and team went in with one goal - exploring the character of JC Denton and the choices players would make. The team wanted gamers to question “who they wanted to be” while offering a genre-busting gameplay experience.

Even the title of the game alludes to the importance of player choice - Deus Ex. The title is taken from the Latin phrase “deus ex machina” which basically describes an unexpected power (you, the player) overgoing a seemingly impossible situation.

While the game featured some delays, it released in June 2000 to critical acclaim. It was praised for its engaging gameplay, the player’s freedom of choice, and the bustling world. It even received over 30 “best of” awards.

It’s an iconic title in not only cyberpunk games, but the world of gaming as a whole. And one that deserves the attention of any gamer that enjoys sci-fi titles, RPGs, or first-person shooters. There’s really something for everyone.

If you’ve never played it before, now’s the perfect time to check it out. And even if you have, you can always go back now that you are a little bit older and see if you would do everything the same way again!

What do you think? Plan on checking out the amazing world of Deus Ex? What are your favorite memories from the game? Let us know down in the comments!
GOG.com: There are a lot of amazing game settings out there, from whimsical fantasy worlds to gritty modern-day settings, but one game world that gamers everywhere love to dive into is futuristic dystopian settings. From games like System Shock to Blade Runner, to upcoming games like Cyperpunk 2077, the genre is full of iconic titles.

One title that continues to bring gamers into the dystopian cyberpunk world is Deus Ex. First released 20 years ago, Deus Ex has aged like a fine wine and we thought it was the perfect time to look back at this title and explore its world, gameplay, and the team behind the sci-fi first-person roleplaying game.

A world plagued by nano-viruses and organizations vying for control

The world of Deus Ex can sometimes feel familiar, as it’s set on earth, but it’s the year 2052 and the world is battling a nano-virus called the Gray Death. The world is in ruins and various corporations and organizations are vying for control.

Deus Ex draws players into its world by mixing engaging dystopian storytelling with real-world elements that may be familiar to some players. This includes leaning into conspiracy theories like Area 51, the Illuminati, and even theories revolving around vaccines.

Blending all of these elements, organizations like the Illuminati, the Knights Templar, Bilderberg Group, and the Trilateral Commission are going to great, terrible lengths to see themselves in power. They are so dastardly that NATO has classified them as terrorist organizations. That’s where you come in.

You play as JC Denton, an agent working for a new form of NATO, the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO). You are one of a new line of agents, ones equipped with nanotechnology that give you superhuman abilities.

The gameplay of Deus Ex

As JC Denton, you’ll have a variety of tools at your disposal to see you through the game. That’s where Deus Ex shines - player choice. Deus Ex combines role-playing, first-person shooting, and stealth to make each encounter unique.

Maybe you’ll want to shoot your way through a situation. It’s possible. Maybe you’d prefer to go a more stealth approach. Also completely viable. In some situations, you may be even to talk your way out of an altercation. The roleplaying elements also give you the chance to bolster your skills, giving you an advantage depending on how you’d like to play.

If guns-a-blazing is your style, then you’re in luck, as you’ll have 24 weapons at your disposal, and can even improvise with environmental objects. The game was also one of the earlier titles to use a dynamic aiming system, meaning your crosshairs adjusts in size depending on if you just show, or are moving. These things can also be improved by upgrading the appropriate stats.

Because of these various options, players may not get the full story the first time playing, encouraging replayability. Your decisions directly impact other characters’ perceptions of you and even parts of the overall story.

Creating Deus Ex

These player options were integral to the creation of Deus Ex, the gameplay, and the setting. Producer Warren Spector was inspired by his wife’s love of the show X-Files and how it blended the fantastic with the real world. This is why there are so many real-world elements in the game.

When Ion Storm took on the title, Spector and team went in with one goal - exploring the character of JC Denton and the choices players would make. The team wanted gamers to question “who they wanted to be” while offering a genre-busting gameplay experience.

Even the title of the game alludes to the importance of player choice - Deus Ex. The title is taken from the Latin phrase “deus ex machina” which basically describes an unexpected power (you, the player) overgoing a seemingly impossible situation.

While the game featured some delays, it released in June 2000 to critical acclaim. It was praised for its engaging gameplay, the player’s freedom of choice, and the bustling world. It even received over 30 “best of” awards.

It’s an iconic title in not only cyberpunk games, but the world of gaming as a whole. And one that deserves the attention of any gamer that enjoys sci-fi titles, RPGs, or first-person shooters. There’s really something for everyone.

If you’ve never played it before, now’s the perfect time to check it out. And even if you have, you can always go back now that you are a little bit older and see if you would do everything the same way again!

What do you think? Plan on checking out the amazing world of Deus Ex? What are your favorite memories from the game? Let us know down in the comments!
Here is a post that tries to summarise all the ideas that come up in the Deus Ex franchise: https://www.pechalin.com/post/the-ideas-of-deus-ex
Johnathanamz: You know gog.com what you can do for Deus Ex's twentieth year celebration, talk to SQUARE-ENIX, Ion Storm, Eidos Interactive or whoever has access to Deus Ex and get rid of GameSpy in a patch to restore Deus Ex's multiplayer. I know there are mods out there that bypass GameSpy to make the multiplayer playable, but I want a official patch.

Do it just like you guys did for Star Wars: Battlefront (2004) and Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005).

I will then purchase fifty more copies of Deus Ex, yes fifty copies at $6.99 dollars (USD). I will use some of my $,1200 dollars (USD) that I got for free from the corona virus stimulas package last month.

That is $350 dollars (USD) total I am willing to spend on Deus Ex right now gog.com.

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it gog.com restore Deus Ex's multiplayer to work please.
wait, deus ex had multiplayer?
Johnathanamz: You know gog.com what you can do for Deus Ex's twentieth year celebration, talk to SQUARE-ENIX, Ion Storm, Eidos Interactive or whoever has access to Deus Ex and get rid of GameSpy in a patch to restore Deus Ex's multiplayer. I know there are mods out there that bypass GameSpy to make the multiplayer playable, but I want a official patch.

Do it just like you guys did for Star Wars: Battlefront (2004) and Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005).

I will then purchase fifty more copies of Deus Ex, yes fifty copies at $6.99 dollars (USD). I will use some of my $,1200 dollars (USD) that I got for free from the corona virus stimulas package last month.

That is $350 dollars (USD) total I am willing to spend on Deus Ex right now gog.com.

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it gog.com restore Deus Ex's multiplayer to work please.
Truth007: wait, deus ex had multiplayer?
Yes Deus Ex has multiplayer you never seen how it says multiplayer in the main menu when you launch the video game?
The original Deus Ex is one of my all time favorite games and very little today can stand up to it. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are decent in their own right but they can't compare to the original.

That being said it's unfair to compare anything to it really. It set the bar so high that not even the same studio to match it. There's capturing lightning in a bottle but Deus Ex was a bottled storm.
There were always two things in the game that I thought were odd. The first was when you were ordered to kill that guy on the plane. For some reason it never really let you use a non-lethal option. He seemed to be hard to take out with standard non-lethal attacks. I think I ended up having to whack him repeatedly with the stun baton. However, JC seems to act like he killed the guy afterwards.

The other thing was the energy blade weapons, the dragons tooth I think it was called. Whenever you drew it you'd see an animation of it extending like a light saber. However, in your inventory it took the same amount of space as a regular sword. So what exactly was taking up the rest of the space? I always imagined that you were actually carrying around a large car battery to power it,
Holywhippet: There were always two things in the game that I thought were odd. The first was when you were ordered to kill that guy on the plane. For some reason it never really let you use a non-lethal option. He seemed to be hard to take out with standard non-lethal attacks. I think I ended up having to whack him repeatedly with the stun baton. However, JC seems to act like he killed the guy afterwards.
SPOILER! you don't have to kill him at all...
The other thing was the energy blade weapons, the dragons tooth I think it was called. Whenever you drew it you'd see an animation of it extending like a light saber. However, in your inventory it took the same amount of space as a regular sword. So what exactly was taking up the rest of the space? I always imagined that you were actually carrying around a large car battery to power it,
Yep, I also find that a bit odd, but they probably did it for balance. If it weren't for the huge inventory volume, DT would make all other melee weapons obsolete. Speaking of volume and balance, I thought the heavy weapons are too large to justify carrying around, especially since there's not much ammo lying around for them. Can't use them much even if you do carry them.
As other fans might have noticed, I am also a fan. :)
LGGOG: Do you guys recommend GMDX 9 ou GMDX 10, or even Revision?
KingSyphilis: […]
GMDX v10 is an unsanctioned continuation of v9; Revision has many drastic changes to level design and gameplay that many in the community consider contentious. […]
I agree that GMDX would be better as a first look at the game (graphics have come a long way in twenty years).

I have both mods and I decided to play Revision first. (It is included free with the Gog purchase. You do need to run a different executable file, though, it is not menu-selectable.)

The Revision mod has many improvements. I have completed the original game a half-dozen times (and the awful sequel a couple of times) and so the altered map tricked me. (I actually got lost in Hell's Kitchen!). I was just playing through it when Gog announced the third and fourth games to buy, so I naturally changed my focus.

The developer also keeps a weather eye on the forum for any issues that might need to be corrected, and there has been several updates.

I would reply to the criticisms that Revision is just that; a revamp of the first game. There is a lot of additional content, like achievements, and it adds some more replayability.

If you do like the game, there is a fan mod, called The Nameless Mod, that actually adds some very cool improvements. (One of the best is the philosophical discussion available by talking to the Walter Simons character in the library.)
Holywhippet: The other thing was the energy blade weapons, the dragons tooth I think it was called. Whenever you drew it you'd see an animation of it extending like a light saber. […]
It's more apt to use a chainsaw analogy, with the edge of the (therefore, regular size and shape) sword augmented with nanoscale sharpness.
Holywhippet: There were always two things in the game that I thought were odd. The first was when you were ordered to kill that guy on the plane. […]
Do you always do as you're told … in a video game … about conspiracies? :o
McMicroDonalds: The original Deus Ex is one of my all time favorite games and very little today can stand up to it. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are decent in their own right but they can't compare to the original. […]
+1
I only just played Human Revolution, so my first impression is still fresh.

I found the prequel to be a faithful attempt to take the best of both the previous games, as well as a lot of the community ideas, and explore the themes and historically interesting aspects in their new game. I have yet to play Mankind Divided, but I found the third game to be well-crafted and it is obvious that Eidos Montreal are fans of the series. (The second game was pants, but it still wasn't universally bad; there were some ideas that were worth salvaging; Eidos took those and polished them and I think they shine.)

edit: The Nameless Mod.
Post edited June 20, 2020 by scientiae
I couldn't bring myself to finish my playthrough of HR.. too many things from plot to gameplay to level design to ui to character development just failed to hold my interest, and the boss fights were the final nail in the coffin.

Maybe I'll try it again another year but so far the first two games remain the only ones I've played through (multiple times too).

When I get the Deus Ex itch next time, I'll probably just play the original again (maybe with Revision this time; I've not tried that mod yet) or one of its mods like The Nameless Mod or Redsun 2020.
Post edited June 20, 2020 by clarry
clarry: I couldn't bring myself to finish my playthrough of HR.. too many things from plot to gameplay to level design to ui to character development just failed to hold my interest, and the boss fights were the final nail in the coffin.

Maybe I'll try it again another year but so far the first two games remain the only ones I've played through (multiple times too).

When I get the Deus Ex itch next time, I'll probably just play the original again (maybe with Revision this time; I've not tried that mod yet) or one of its mods like The Nameless Mod or Redsun 2020.
When you get that itch, don't forget the GMDX (Give Me Deus Ex) mod if you haven't tried that one already. I'd personally recommend that over pretty much anything else these days as it remains the most faithful to the original game whilst still adding lots of little improvements and bug fixes. This makes the original game feel nice and fresh again without going completely overboard in the process.
Anox2k12: When you get that itch, don't forget the GMDX (Give Me Deus Ex) mod if you haven't tried that one already.
Yeah I've already played with it. It's nice but at this point it'd be nice to see something fresh again!
I know you didn't actually have to take him out at all, but I don't see why it seemed to ignore any non-lethal option.
My favourite part of the game was Hong Kong by a long shot. Leaving Maggie Chow dead in her bedroom surrounded by a ton of drug vials and a pistol was the first time I got to fake a suicide in a game. :D The game certainly allowed a lot more freedom of interpretation than most managed at the time.

A remake could be a masterpiece. But it would take a lot more than dropping in high res models and textures as a lot of the game's vision of the future was already looking ropey at the time of release. Still, it provides a pretty solid foundation and would surely require less work than a game created from scratch. Plus I'd imagine it would sell exceptionally well too.
Deus Ex 1 is one of the best games ever made. Period. Absolutely love that classic.

The rest of the series (except Invisible War) is really good for the most part, too.

Inivisble War was good despite being very disappointing, but IW just ain't the other 3 main games, more or less....as the other 3 (Deus Ex, HR, and MD) range from really good to great, IMHO.

Human Revolution and its expansion/DLC was great.

Mankind Divided was still really good despite the problems with it - i.e. namely, it's not finished, story-wise - yet the game was still great, even despite that problem.

And while I'm at it, I still want a sequel to Mankind Divided, given how much was left hanging in the main story arc and w/ so many threads left hanging or setting up Mankind Divided 2, even despite knowing that there probably won't be a sequel; supposedly MD did not sell well enough to suit Square and it sounds like Square cancelled it since the series is on hiatus.
Moonbeam: P1na would like this.
He's not the only one! xD LOL

---

Deus Ex is easily one of the greatest games, stories, or even works of art, of all time. The best way to say it is that there aren't any games better. Not then, not now.

I could talk and write for years on end about Deus Ex, and I have, but I'll just note a few quick points:

- The Nameless Mod is totally amazing. I hope there are still people out there finding me in the crate in the ABI labs.

- I've never abandoned my own sequel for it (Klystron), and I and my partner do still intend on finishing it at some point, but we've had years of troubles since we started, and I just hope there are still people around who remember the original game by the time we're done in 2052.

- Zero Punctuation famously created some amazing video reviews of the games, pointing out both how great the original was, and how incredibly far the later games were from reaching the heights of the original, despite otherwise being rather good games, for the most part.

- Many gamers still consider Deus Ex to be the single greatest game of all time. In the 10 years after it was released, that was actually considered a common point of view. As time goes on, I see that opinion less and less, and the world will continue to forget more and more. Yet even after 20 years worth of games added to the world, I still see now what anyone could see back in 2000: there are games that approximate its greatness, but none have surpassed it.
Post edited September 17, 2021 by Eli
They should definitely make a "Deus Ex The Movie" movie trilogy, starring Keanu Reeves (of course...) so we can enjoy on the big screen what we enjoy all these years on our pc screens.
If they ever consider the idea i will gladly help financing in a crowdfunding platform.
What do you think, fellow gogers?
Post edited September 20, 2021 by myst_gr