It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It was the best of times. But which were the best of games?

This week the year 1996 made a bombastic comeback in the form of <span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a roguelike/FPS celebrating the feel of classic shooters that came out around that time, powered by modern technology and a retrospective eye. But 1996 was not just about FPSs - in fact it gave us a whole bunch of unparalleled classics. Let's look back at some of the ones we were playing between watching new episodes of the X-Files and marvelling at GIFs of a 3D dancing baby.

Civilization II: Sid Meier's masterpiece series of turn-based strategies was hitting its stride, while shaping a whole sub-genre in its wake. Responsible for many a failed school project.

Duke Nukem 3D: Kick-ass FPS action doesn't get much better than that! In his prime, the Duke could take on anything the competition would throw at him and still keep his cool. Best played while chewing on bubblegum.

<span class="bold">Zork: Nemesis</span>: Before this quirky adventure game series fell out of the spotlight, Nemesis tried a shift towards a more brooding, mature tone which was met with suspicion but eventually won fans over thanks to its clever puzzles and high FMV production values.

Daggerfall: The Elder Scrolls properly rose to prominence with its follow-up, <span class="bold">Morrowind</span>, but Daggerfall's massive open world was the herald of the great things the series had in store for all RPG fans.

<span class="bold">Quake</span>: STRAFE's direct competitor that year, this frantic FPS swapped DOOM's futuristic setting for an oppressive gothic maze full of pixelated demons and trend-setting weapons that earned the genre a whole lot of new fans.

<span class="bold">Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive</span>: One of the select few adventures to successfully challenge the popular opinion that FMV = trainwreck. The beloved gumshoe's fourth outing is still considered by most as the pinnacle of the series, offering amazing gameplay and a mature -albeit pulpy- story that still retained that charming goofiness Tex was known for.

<span class="bold">Master of Orion II</span>: It solidified the legend of its predecessor and made space 4X games a big thing. Celebrated for its addictive complexity and depth, MOO II oozed innovation and polish from every pore - the unmistakable markings of a true classic.

Diablo: It pretty much single-handedly spawned the genre of isometric action-RPGs with its randomized levels, criminally addictive clickety-click gameplay, and a dark lore which culminated into that unforgettable finale. Even after all these years, it's impossible not to stay a while and listen to the guitar theme on Tristram.

<span class="bold">Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars</span>: Adventure games were firing on all cylinders and Revolution's mystery point & click was a masterful blend of historical fiction, subtle comedy, and stunning cartoon graphics. The goat puzzle could have been less of a headache, though.

<span class="bold">Tomb Raider</span>: It was love at first sight. How couldn't it be? This was a bold 3D action/adventure with a sexy leading lady, beautiful locales, immersive exploration, and intense treasure-hunting - pretty much all our gaming fantasies rolled into one.

Did any 1996 game(s) manage to fulfill your fantasies? Which one do you have the fondest memories of?
Post edited May 16, 2017 by maladr0Id
Is this thread was sponsored by Devolver Digital ?
I know it's no longer offered for sale here because of Interplay's nonsense with the original developers, but any 1996 list that doesn't mention Descent II is sorely lacking.
Definitely Tomb Raider. I can remember playing it in my Student Halls of Residence, being just blown away by the depth of the game and ability to explorer amazing tombs in 3D. So grateful for my 8Meg Graphics card.
high rated
What is missing here is a game forgotten by probably every digital distributor out there, probably because nobody knows who owns the rights to this game. I am writing about Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - the first part of the Legacy of Kain franchise, of which 4 later parts are available everywhere (steam, gog, I have an (false) "anthology" release from a local digital distributor as well). I hope that someday it will be released somewhere, by GOG (preferably), Steam or at least by Square-Enix who owns rights for this franchise.
Lots of good mentions by posters and gog, but i'd like to add the following from the year 1996 (going by North American release dates):

Resident Evil 1
I'd never played a game with as much graphic 3D rendered violence or horror until Resident Evil 1. The opening scene with Barry blowing the head off of a zombie was nothing i'd ever seen in a game before. Then you have the scene that introduces the Hunters which was something that kept me from sleeping well for a few days. Just a well designed horror game overall.

King's Field
I'd played dungeon crawling RPGs before, but none that were fully 3D rendered with real time combat. King's Field just blew me away with its challenging enemies and maze like dungeons full of secrets to find. A great RPG that followed in the footsteps of Ultima Underworld and would pretty much be the spiritual predecessor to later series also made by From Software that would become another favorite of mine.....Demons' Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain
I'd like to echo the earlier post of this one as it's my favorite of the series. A well written vampire themed tale of revenge from beyond the grave so to speak. Almost every line of dialogue by the characters has a well spoken tone with an excellent voice cast led by the talents of Simon Templeman as Kain. Nice design on the powers and equipment you have at your disposal too using a "less is more" philosophy.
Post edited May 13, 2017 by haydenaurion
Smannesman: As amazing as the actual classic games are, that's how unamazing Strafe is.
It's not a 'comeback' of 1996, but the very definition of how lackluster game development has become for the most part in the last few years.
ReynardFox: Will you stop feeding into the complete BS that Strafe is in any way shape or form a throwback game? Or even a good game.

Haven't you done enough ignorant things lately GOG?
You're being so unfair!
Think of all the humor it generates with the constant comparisons to Strafe's betters.

On a serious note, I agree. It's very saddening to see how much junk gets released these days; especially when it's an attempt to prey on nostalgia.
Post edited May 13, 2017 by The_Gypsy
On the subject of Strafe, I personally think the upcoming Dusk looks better in terms of capturing the feel of an old FPS from that era: http://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqa7iuMelo8

Vote here: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dusk
high rated
For a moment I thought Civilization 2 just got a release here.

Which 1996 game do I have the fondest memories of? Heroes of Might and Magic 2.
GOG.com: But 1996 was not just about FPSs - in fact it gave us a whole bunch of unparalleled classics.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert, anyone?

(also Civ2 ruls)
Post edited May 13, 2017 by Plokite_Wolf
ReynardFox: Will you stop feeding into the complete BS that Strafe is in any way shape or form a throwback game? Or even a good game.

Haven't you done enough ignorant things lately GOG?
Smannesman: ...snip
I think we have isolated where the current problems stem from. Gog come from an alternate dimension, a dimension where strife was a 1996 game, and optional meant you would download, and if you forgot it would install for you. Its all becoming clear now, in this alternate reality the games (for the most part) were really good and worth spending lots of cash on.
1996? That would be Heroes of Might and Magic II of course!

Still in my opinion the best one in the series, at least as far as mood goes. That's definitely THE game I remember most from my childhood.
Shame on you GOG. Looking Glass released a game in 1996, and you don't mention it?

The magnificent "Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri" was released that year.
Silverbow: Well, Daggerfal for me has a special place. The first open, massive world. I don't know how many times I played itbut never finishing it. It makes Skyrim a walk in the parc if you compare.

Thankfully Bethesda has put it in free dowload on their website, maybe i will give a try. I just hope it is the patched version as I have vivid memories of the numerous bugs...
I wouldn't even bother with the official Bethesda download -- you'd have to set up DOSBox yourself, and (IIRC) update the game to the last patched version manually, too (though the patch is actually included in the download).
Go with "DaggerfallSetup", the version linked to from the [url=http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files]Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages[/url]. It's a pre-patched, ready-to-play version (well, after installation :P ) which contains community fixes and some new content, all individually selectable at install. (I would've linked to the site where DaggerfallSetup itself was hosted for years, but it appears to be down; nevertheless, there's an alternative link on that UESP page.)
Post edited May 14, 2017 by HunchBluntley
GOG.com: This week the year 1996 made a bombastic comeback in the form of <span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a roguelike/FPS celebrating the feel of classic shooters that came out around that time
Not really. (90s shooters had quick/manual saves, hand designed levels, modding + user designed levels, multiplayer over LAN, and other little things like "more than 1 weapon", etc...)

Excluding games mentioned in the OP, real 1996 games included : C&C Red Alert, Final Doom, Harvester, Monster Truck Madness and The Neverhood.
Daggerfall, HoMM 2 and Orion 2...