It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello.

I'm planning on grabbing Freespace 2 and I would like to know with which of the following it was meant to be played with: keyboard + mouse, Xbox 360 controller or a flight joystick?

Please give me your input on the subject.
Thank you.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
CrusnikCore: Hello.

I'm planning on grabbing Freespace 2 and I would like to know with which of the following it was meant to be played with: keyboard + mouse, Xbox 360 controller or a flight joystick?

Please give me your input on the subject.
Thank you.
Hi there,

I think I've read enough posts here to say that all of the above options are perfectly playable, up to the point of it being a personal preference. You might, however, seek some advice how to set your key mapping best and make the experience as smooth as possible - there are numerous threads for it here.

I've played the game - well, both of them and a few expansions - with kb+mouse and haven't even thought of switching to anything alse.

But, and I think I can't stress this enough, if you are playing kb+mouse, do get some software to enable mouse wheel control. "X Mouse button control" is what's been recommended here. It's also what I use, since FS does not seem to recognize the wheel on its own.

Mapping the wheel up/down to +5%/-5% throttle is the best thing ever. It's intuitive, easily accessible and also eliminates the need for quite a few additional throttle control keys.
Plus - by map shift+wheel and alt+wheel to weapon cycling and you don't really need to move your left hand at all 90% of the time.

Again - this is all personal preference, and I'm starting to drift from the original question - but if you go for the kb+mouse, get the mouse wheel involved!