It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi. I recently bought a thrustmaster t.16000m fcs hotas, and thought about trying out freespace 2 again, after all these years.

But before I buy it, I would like to know, if anyone has any experience with this setup, in freespace 2. Does it even work? Are there any complications I should be aware of? Etc.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Facey: Hi. I recently bought a thrustmaster t.16000m fcs hotas, and thought about trying out freespace 2 again, after all these years.

But before I buy it, I would like to know, if anyone has any experience with this setup, in freespace 2. Does it even work? Are there any complications I should be aware of? Etc.
If you use Thrustmaster T.A.R.G.E.T. to set a profile for the game yes, you need to have 4 axis and disable (or map to keyboard functions using the profile) all the others otherwise there might be issues as the game is a bit old and doesn't detect more than one peripheral with 4 axis (some older games only support 3 or 2).
Also there might be a limit in the number of buttons/hats mappable but you can set buttons in the profile to send keyboard commands, in general I recommend to do so with all the buttons but the trigger and button 2 (the missile button) since mapping a keyaboard command to fire buttons often makes them act funny but having a profile ready saves a lot of headaches in case of reinstalls.
After you made your T.A.R.G.E.T. profile go to the game options while the profile is active and map the twist (or the paddle, or whichever you choose as your "R" axis) and the absolute throttle axis manually and you should be good to go.
And I stress: T.A.R.G.E.T. is vital if you want to use you HOTAS with older games, I have a CH HOTAS which uses similar software and it's invaluable.
Post edited November 28, 2017 by Det_Bullock
Facey: Hi. I recently bought a thrustmaster t.16000m fcs hotas, and thought about trying out freespace 2 again, after all these years.

Det_Bullock: If you use Thrustmaster T.A.R.G.E.T. to set a profile for the game yes, you need to have 4 axis and disable (or map to keyboard functions using the profile) all the others otherwise there might be issues as the game is a bit old and doesn't detect more than one peripheral with 4 axis (some older games only support 3 or 2).
Also there might be a limit in the number of buttons/hats mappable but you can set buttons in the profile to send keyboard commands, in general I recommend to do so with all the buttons but the trigger and button 2 (the missile button) since mapping a keyaboard command to fire buttons often makes them act funny but having a profile ready saves a lot of headaches in case of reinstalls.
After you made your T.A.R.G.E.T. profile go to the game options while the profile is active and map the twist (or the paddle, or whichever you choose as your "R" axis) and the absolute throttle axis manually and you should be good to go.
And I stress: T.A.R.G.E.T. is vital if you want to use you HOTAS with older games, I have a CH HOTAS which uses similar software and it's invaluable.
Thanks alot for the great answer!

The game being old was, ofcourse, exactly my worry. Nice to know that it will work though, even if it might take some work ;)