It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi there,

I was wondering about my people complaining about missing something like water, food, a church .... because I have several fountains, there's enough food in the storage and for sale in the market and I have three churches with enough space for all the villagers.

Are there any rules, like something about the distance to their homes or "1 fountain for X villagers, 2 fountains for XX villagers?" or anything else?
Post edited February 08, 2019 by luanda666
Sounds like a distribution issue - I encountered the same issue where citizens were often "seeking to meet their needs". Eventually, at ~80 population, My market tenders refused to fill the market due to actively seeking to meet their needs - which then caused further thirst / hunger challenges with other citizens.

I eventually abandoned the save and started over.

Perhaps someone who has reach 100 population can comment on how they arrange their building clusters?

I know duplicating a specific building cluster across the map was a successful strategy in Banished (a similar game).
With a game where I've reached over 120 population without anyone leaving, here's a few things I've discovered.

Pops seem to desire foods in the order they first become available to them. In earlier games, I never had enough bread to go around, but in my latest game, where fish was the second food I had to offer my pops, I have a surplus of bread, as the pops seek to buy berries and fish before they buy bread.

Building multiple wells and markets is a MUST. One market seems to be able to supply about one and a half hexes, and wells seem to supply about 2/3rds of a hex. If you check when zoning residential areas, you'll see how some areas are green, and others red. This is desireability for building residences, and wells and markets turn the red areas green. A well by itself has a very small improvement to desireability, but markets are huge. Building multiple markets and wells will fix most of your issues

Warehouses can only store 50 of an item in one of their slots, and workplaces can only store 100 before they cease produtcion. Make sure you have enough warehouses to store surplus food so that your markets don't run out. This is particularly necessary for bread, which takes a long time to go from growing wheat into bread.

Also make sure you have enough churches. Faith is very important to your pops, and they will be very unhappy if they don't have a place to worship. Take advantage of the monument system to expand your older churches, as well as building new ones.

That's everything I've got so far, I hope some of this helped!
Post edited February 11, 2019 by greyhawk300
greyhawk300: With a game where I've reached over 120 population without anyone leaving, here's a few things I've discovered.

Pops seem to desire foods in the order they first become available to them. In earlier games, I never had enough bread to go around, but in my latest game, where fish was the second food I had to offer my pops, I have a surplus of bread, as the pops seek to buy berries and fish before they buy bread.

Building multiple wells and markets is a MUST. One market seems to be able to supply about one and a half hexes, and wells seem to supply about 2/3rds of a hex. If you check when zoning residential areas, you'll see how some areas are green, and others red. This is desireability for building residences, and wells and markets turn the red areas green. A well by itself has a very small improvement to desireability, but markets are huge. Building multiple markets and wells will fix most of your issues

Warehouses can only store 50 of an item in one of their slots, and workplaces can only store 100 before they cease produtcion. Make sure you have enough warehouses to store surplus food so that your markets don't run out. This is particularly necessary for bread, which takes a long time to go from growing wheat into bread.

Also make sure you have enough churches. Faith is very important to your pops, and they will be very unhappy if they don't have a place to worship. Take advantage of the monument system to expand your older churches, as well as building new ones.

That's everything I've got so far, I hope some of this helped!
Thank you so much, you really helped me out! :D Tried one or two of your tips and there we go, everyting works just fine! :)
What I've observed is this: Once a citizen has all his needs on the minimum he will try to meet his needs. This always happens in the same order:

0. stop work
1. getting water
2. back home
3. procure food
4. meet religious needs.
5. procuring Lusxus goods.
6. back home
7. Let's get back to work.

This is the same pattern as the needs are listed in the citicen information window.
However, they will not take the next possible source but the one closest to their home.

To make the whole thing as efficient as possible you should keep in mind that all these points are as close as possible to each other. You should also pay attention in which zones you let the citizens build which have just moved here. They should build their house as close as possible to their future place of work. so it can be avoided that the citizens have to walk over the whole map to get to their place of work because then they are already exhausted again and have to fulfill their needs again.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Post edited February 19, 2019 by Apop85