It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I can't seem to get GOG's version of Fallout 1 to work under Wine anymore. Winetricks didn't offer much. There's been mention of a ddraw.dll override, but I'm not sure what that is or how to do it. I found what looked like an appropriate thingy under Wine Configuration (winecfg?), but it gave no options.

Edit: So I've found an adequate solution below.
Nevertheless, there's a Solved tag in it for anybody who can come up with a better, cleaner solution, can clear up lingering error messages, and/or who can just generally improve on the situation.
Post edited October 02, 2014 by MackieStingray
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Tried playonlinux, got this error:

http://pastebin.com/1DLi4dEZ

Tried playonlinux with Wine 1.2.2, got this:

http://pastebin.com/5kCZjLaR

However, when I restarted, 1.2.2 makes it run in full screen, but playonlinux thinks Wine crashed. Most peculiar. So apparently I needed to restart, and for the time being it... works, more or less.
Okay, got a solution, though it's not pretty. I refuse to refine it.

First off, PlayOnLinux. I can't recommend it enough for this purpose. However, it won't succeed by itself. You must use it to install and manage an older version of Wine. I'm using 1.2.2, which is "certifiably old" as the folks in #winehq (freenode) said, because I know it works. Feel free to fine tune this, but there's a real possibility you're using this strictly for one program anyway.

Once you've told Fallout to work with Wine 1.2.2 (or whichever one you're using), you should be set to go.

Modding is where things get interesting.

Now, I ended up messing about quite a bit with this before I got it working. I installed the 1.2 and fallup13 patches, then the resolution patch. The trouble with the resolution patch is it didn't seem to take. (For one thing, it made both a Falloutw and a falloutw. The functioning one in my folder is with a lower case f, not an upper case.) An attempt to reinstall it noted it was already installed, though, as per the readme.

Looked the matter up on Google and found the following:

http://www.gog.com/forum/fallout_series/fallout_1_hi_res_patch_wine

(Seanstoppable)
I had the same problem with the Fallout 2 Hi Res patch today.

Solution: download the dll from here and place it in .wine/drive_c/windows/system to get rid of that error and be able to successfully apply the patch.

(jediknight304)
I had to:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout
ln -s ../../../windows/system/msvcp60.dll

hope that helps someone and I don't know why it wasn't working just inside system
Modify accordingly:

cd .PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Fallout_gog/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Fallout
ln -s ../../../../../../.wine/drive_c/windows/system/msvcp60.dll

I have no idea what that just did, but it did it.