It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi, thinking of getting this as its one i used to own and enjoy.

These days i use USB Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick and Throttle, all USB, none of the older flight sims I've bought on GOG work properly with modern controllers, Strike Commander, Hind ETC.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Katana1000: ...
I'd talk to Support about that.
Post edited May 11, 2014 by tfishell
My Logitech Freedom seems to work it just fine.
Katana1000: Hi, thinking of getting this as its one i used to own and enjoy.

These days i use USB Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick and Throttle, all USB, none of the older flight sims I've bought on GOG work properly with modern controllers, Strike Commander, Hind ETC.
My Logitech is supported by DOS Box just fine in everything (I was playing F-19 on it recently).
Your stick should work just fine but I can't say about rudder pedals and throttle. There probably be many compatibility issues with them in SC (F-117 from what I know never support either one as they pretty much didn't existed at the time), but they will probably be tied to the game itself. I remember it had Thrustmaster in the options but it was probably the only Thrustmaster model then avaible on the market and drivers were probably pretty stiff (but man, this are the days of nostalgia for me :) ).
Yes, I fully expect my USB stick to work in F117A, as it did in Hind and Strike Commander, but maybe not the USB throttle or USB rudder pedals, can live without the rudder pedals in old DOS sims like this at a push though.

This question seems to come up every time GOG release an old DOS based flight sim and apparently there may be a workaround with some third party utility? for DOSBOX but its never been documented properly after a look in the Hind and Strike Commander forums here that I can see?

I guess at this price we cant complain for a bit of nostalgia, would have been nice icing on the cake though :)

Would still like to see some old DOS classics like ...

Tornado and Desert Storm add-on
Fleet Defender Gold
1942 Pacific Air War Gold
Falcon Gold

Released on GoG as well.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Katana1000
Katana1000: This question seems to come up every time GOG release an old DOS based flight sim and apparently there may be a workaround with some third party utility? for DOSBOX but its never been documented properly after a look in the Hind and Strike Commander forums here that I can see?
Hmm... Never thought about it since I didn't have problem with my hardware (I would love to have Thrustmaster but here in Poland I would need to brougt it from abroud and given prices and shipping it is outside my current budget and my father will only sponsor an cofinance wheel and rig for racing games :D).
If this is problem, the GOG should post something and help, but since issue lies in DOS Box, you can always check DOS Box forums (although it is true that is pay for this here than GOG crew should help at least from courtesy :) )
Katana1000: Would still like to see some old DOS classics like ...

Fleet Defender Gold
Falcon Gold
Ah! I bought Fleet Defender in original at e-bay and need to get back to it someday (when I played it last time I was too young to comprehend it :) ).
I would love to play Tornado, never did but I seen instruction and it looks amazing.
I love Dynamix titles (Aces series and Red Baron that is here) for atmosphere that they created that Il-2 and Lock On lack.
I would actually play Flight of the Intruder again. And Dogfight (a.k.a. Duel) :)
I would also like to see F-19 here. I know that it is like prequel poorer version to this but maybe this is my nostalgic factor that it is my first simulation and second game ever played by me :)
Yes, F-19 was about my second Flight Simulator on my old Amiga 500 and I had to buy another 512k ram module to get sound! My Amiga only shipped with 512l ram :) But I do remember one of my first missions in F-19 where I'd not been too stealthy and was hit badly and control was difficult getting home and also I was leaking fuel, but made it back to base with just a few pounds of fuel left, it was a really tense mission at the time and probably what got me hooked on Flight Simulation.

My first sim was Bob Dinnermans FA/18 Interceptor though also on the Amiga and then I bought my first PC a 386 DX 40 MHz and bought Jet Fighter 2 its successor, great fun.

Flight of the Intruder I also played on the Amiga, would love to see those on GOG too.

I would love a modern Flight of the Intruder sim actually, am a bit of a scale modeller and recently bought the Trumpeter 1/32 A-6 Intruder, what a beast of a kit, looks amazing!
Original F-117 never supported two analogue sticks (4 axes). Only one (2 axes) for primary flight controls. So no rudder or throttle is possible.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by ataribaby
My X52 Pro (joystick only) works just fine with the game if it helps anyone :)
Katana1000: Yes, I fully expect my USB stick to work in F117A, as it did in Hind and Strike Commander, but maybe not the USB throttle or USB rudder pedals, can live without the rudder pedals in old DOS sims like this at a push though.

This question seems to come up every time GOG release an old DOS based flight sim and apparently there may be a workaround with some third party utility? for DOSBOX but its never been documented properly after a look in the Hind and Strike Commander forums here that I can see?

I guess at this price we cant complain for a bit of nostalgia, would have been nice icing on the cake though :)

Would still like to see some old DOS classics like ...

Fleet Defender Gold
Falcon Gold

Released on GoG as well.
Hello,

at the time these sims hit the market rudder-pedals and throttle aren't supported, cause no one had built one. The first throttle was Thrustmaster's WCS Mark I (Dip-Switch Version) and a half year later came the RCS Rudder-Pedals. Later The WCS Mark II with programable Interface hit the market. The last real Thrustmaster models came around 1995 with the FLCS, TQS and the last "real" Thrustmaster was the F22-Flightstick (a tuned FLCS). Thrustmaster was bought by Guillemot which revived the Thrustmaster label with the Hotas Cougar.

I don't know if the Warthog supports programable keypresses for axes, cause I don't have one. I own the old Sticks of Thrustmaster (nearly 20 Sets ;-) , cause based on the pcb of this old hardware I build my flightsim-cockpit years ago. Those old rig could handle keypress-emulation for axis. So if you need 10 "+" presses for full throttle you could program your hotas to do so for the Throttle axis. This functions very well in those old sim. Same for rudder-pedals.

I really believe the Warthog can handle this too. This stick has much more options than the old ones.

There is also free software around you could program keypresses for any brand of joystick. Just google for it. I don't remember the names, cause I don't had much time for siming the last years.
Post edited May 12, 2014 by FighterKiller
Further to this, from looking at the keyboard command list, it doesn't look like rudder controls are even implemented in the game.
ratdeath: My X52 Pro (joystick only) works just fine with the game if it helps anyone :)
Helps me! i have the x52 myself.
I know this is old but I thought, I'll reply anyway.

This is a DOS Game and therefore uses the DOSBox mapper which is accessed by pressing CTRL-F1 at any time. You can map ANY axis from every gamepad or joystick that works in windows.

The game however does not support more than 2 axis which means you cannot use a throttle (you could, however, map the + and - keys to the throttle axis).

You can also map keyboard keys to all these additional buttons of your joystick which makes the game so much better.
You don't need the Throttle as a controller. You can set the throttle axis as digital and emulate kay presses through TARGET the programming suite for the Warthog. This is all GUI driven and a lot easier than it used to be to programme Thrustmaster Hotas. I've used it for WC privateer 1 and 2. And all the WC games. Works fine.

For the rudders it depends which ones you have. I use Crosswinds and they have the option to digitally programme axis as well but no all pedal sets do. If you have RCS pedals you'll need to run them through an old cougar stick ass the interface doesn't work with the Warthog. Used to do that before I got my crosswinds.

So set up some profiles in Target and you'll be good to go.

Hope that helps.

BB