It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The following works in my test environment:

1. winetricks d3dx9: This allows you to at least see the first logo

I have tried installing wmp9, wmp10, and allcodecs. Currently, it freezes at the logo video, and gives an error "Required media codec 'vidc WMV3' not found!" that is visible if I press escape.

This thread will be used to document my experiments with seeing what works.

Edit: After installing a bunch of stuff, installing Quartz got the logo to work, allowing me to get to the main menu.
Post edited October 20, 2015 by dtgreene
dtgreene: The following works in my test environment:

I have tried installing wmp9, wmp10, and allcodecs. Currently, it freezes at the logo video, and gives an error "Required media codec 'vidc WMV3' not found!" that is visible if I press escape.

Edit: After installing a bunch of stuff, installing Quartz got the logo to work, allowing me to get to the main menu.
Sorry for jumping in your thread but have you clicked "New Game" yet? :)
dtgreene: The following works in my test environment:

JudasIscariot: Sorry for jumping in your thread but have you clicked "New Game" yet? :)
Yes, it didn't get past that point, which is strange since my old install (which I still have) doesn't have any issue. Also, I get no sound.

Edit: Fixed typo.
Post edited October 20, 2015 by dtgreene
JudasIscariot: Sorry for jumping in your thread but have you clicked "New Game" yet? :)
dtgreene: Yes, it didn't get past that point, which is strange since my old install (which I still have) doesn't have any issue. Also, I get no sound.

Check the sound options in the game as in my install everything defaulted to "1" for music and sound in the game's options for whatever reason :)
dtgreene: Yes, it didn't get past that point, which is strange since my old install (which I still have) doesn't have any issue. Also, I get no sound.

The other thing is that the 'new Game" issue may be related to this exact bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39471

Read comment #21 :)
Post edited October 20, 2015 by JudasIscariot
Second try, installing the following in order:

d3dx9 (otherwise the game crashes when the logo would load)
quartz
devenum
wmp9

At this point, I get the logo, which works fine.

Furthermore, I can start a new game.

Still no sound, but that might be the fault of the chroot setup (Turns out it is: see below.).

After copying my .asoundrc from outside the chroot, I get sound, except in the two movies. If you really want to hear the audio in the movies, you can play them separately with mplayer.
dtgreene: Second try, installing the following in order:

d3dx9 (otherwise the game crashes when the logo would load)
quartz
devenum
wmp9

At this point, I get the logo, which works fine.

Furthermore, I can start a new game.

Still no sound, but that might be the fault of the chroot setup (Turns out it is: see below.).

After copying my .asoundrc from outside the chroot, I get sound, except in the two movies. If you really want to hear the audio in the movies, you can play them separately with mplayer.
I started a new .wine prefix and only installed what you had and now I can reliably start a new game without the need to hammer the Escape button or rename movies :) I think *something* was conflicting in my previous wine prefix but what it was I have NO idea.

I did patch my WINE 1.7.53 with a patch for XAUDIO that you can find here: https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=52610 but I am not sure if that makes a difference.
dtgreene: Second try, installing the following in order:
Tried this last night with git-wine 1.7.53. Game started and I even have music in the intro movie. However I was getting very frequent crashes, including at the main menu. That is until...
JudasIscariot: I did patch my WINE 1.7.53 with a patch for XAUDIO that you can find here: https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=52610 but I am not sure if that makes a difference.
Patch is in Wine as of 2015-10-22. Updated, recompiled and haven't had a crash since in the game. OK, technically it did crash the one time I quit the game.

Thanks all.
Post edited October 27, 2015 by Gydion