It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sorry if I'm totally off base with this, but seeing as MO2 fixed the pathing issue with the GOG version, could a mod organizer like MO2 be used to spoof mods into thinking the GOG version is similar to the 1.6.353 Steam version? I know there won't be the connection to Steam, but I can't see many mods really needing that to function.

From what I've read so far, it seems that the various recent Steam versions have been somewhat similar under the hood despite the "updates" on Steam. If so, surely something could be used to hook older mods into the GOG version.

I'll admit I'm coming into this as someone who hasn't touched Skyrim in years due to the "updates ruining mods" issue finally pissed me off too much. Once I heard about the GOG version, I jumped, hoping that it wouldn't be an issue anymore and I could just run my favourite old mods.