I'm thinking about buying the game however a couple of reviews and forum posts state their are problems with hiring pawns.
Please can someone answer the following questions;
1) Are there still problems with hiring pawns or receiving gifts after your pawn is hired?
2) What is required to hire pawns? Do you need GOG galaxy?
3) Can you only hire pawns from people you've added to your friend list on GOG Galaxy?
I had no trouble finding and hiring pawns. You DO need galaxy running, online play enabled in game, and I think cloud saves for that.
I did, however have all kinds of trouble getting any feedback from the game on giving/receiving gifts, comments, and rc from people hiring mine. I don't know if anyone actually hired my pawn because it never told me it was.
The feedback part of it seems broken, although I never tried it with a friend. I have read many people stating that they couldn't get their feedback to go through.
I like this game a lot but it killed my enthusiasm when I found this out, RC is hard to come by and the main source for it is sharing pawns. It's not a bad game without that, but it is a lot more entertaining with.
Some people say they had it work, but for all the people that have actually tested it with people they know on the other end of the exchange, say they had no luck, I can't say for sure either way. The "not working/bugged" people far out number the "working" ones.
Not sure if it is completely broken, or sporadic, or what. It's never given me feedback. I used galaxy while playing, and played online. YMMV.
If you don't mind the pawn problems, it's a great game.
I really wish we could get an affirmative official answer about it as well. I would love to change my review to 5 stars then.
1.Maybe. I have heard both yes and no from the web. It has been broken for me, it's never been properly addressed by anyone official either way.
2. You need Galaxy running and I am pretty sure you need Cloud saves enabled. You need to rest at an inn as well, to refresh the pawn list.
3. Friends pawns are free. You can hire any pawns from anyone that shares them, and the higher the level above your own, the more RC they cost. Which is why it hurts that it isn't working properly.
Edit: Format and typo fixes