I'm aware that it is possible to fix the speed of the game by switching the rendering system to "Software" mode using configtool.exe, but I found a workaround that allows you preserve Direct3D capabilities.
I believe this is only an issue affecting Windows 8 and 8.1 users.
Copy the files ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll from this archive
into your Divine Divinity folder and you're good to go. I tested it with Divine Divinity 1.0062a (setup_divine_divinity_22.214.171.124.exe) and it is working perfectly.
This seems to be a popular fix for a lot of other games available on GOG.
I tried to use WineD3D_1.6.2 as you directed, but then the game wouldn't run. It ran before, just very slowly, so I removed the WineD3D_1.6.2 and switched to software mode. Works really fast in software mode and well, if this is anything like Diablo II then there's no huge reason to use 3D acceleration anyway.
I would have liked it to work, if only for curiosity's sake, but no harm done.
Maybe a later release of WineD3D would work, after all it's just an OpenGL wrapper for D3D, so it should work just fine.
I'm using Windows 8.1, Radeon HD7950 and Catalyst 14.9 WHQL drivers.