It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I was playing a LAN game with friends, and could not get Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition to load on one of my computers. It played fine on 3rd generation i5 computers and 4th generation i7 computers, but the Anniversary Edition G3258 running smoothly at 4.4 GHz with 16GB of ram would not work. The game crashes before loading at all. I know it says i5 for minimum, but often that is only advice. I am wondering if it is the CPU, the G3258. I thought it would just play poorly or stutter if the CPU was not powerful enough, but does this game truly require a quad core to even load up?

I thought maybe it was the video card, an old HD 5850. I read the Definitive Edition requires a 6xxx card. But I put an HD 6850 in there the next day, and it would not work either. Divinity: Original Sin, the first game, plays just fine on this system. I am wondering if it is the CPU, the G3258.

Can someone confirm if a HD 6xxx video card is needed, or will an HD 5850 work?

Also, should a G3258 be able to load up the game?

Thanks
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Titanion
Titanion: running smoothly at 4.4 GHz
Did you try removing or reducing the overclock?

Can you start the Classic version of the game?
I think this GPU should be able to start the game, at least. A couple of years ago one person with a G3258 reported performance problems in the Definitive Edition, even though Classic was ok, likely as a result of multithreading optimisations added in the DE. I'm not sure if any update in the last couple years would make it less likely to start on that CPU.

The HD 5850 has half the performance of the minimum listed nvidia card, but is not bad compared to the lowest HD 6xxx cards, so shouldn't be a problem just starting the game.

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game?

If you check the Event Viewer, does that give an error code or 'Faulting Module' file name for the crashes?
- click Start (or WinKey-R), then type "event viewer" into the search box. in Windows 10, 'event' should bring up 'View event logs'.
- after starting the Event Viewer, expand 'Windows Logs' in the left column and select 'Application'
- in the center column, look for a recent error for the game (maybe sort by Date and Time, or search for 'EoCApp')
- check the information under the 'General' tab below the list of events, starting with "Faulting application name..."

Normally, GOG will install the redistributable packages if required with the game, but you can check, and reinstall them manually:

- Visual C++ Redist 2017 (64bit), now included with the 2019 release (if this is a problem, generally there should be an error when starting from the executable, mentioning a VC related dll). In the Control Panel, Programs and Features, try right clicking the MS VC++ 2015-2019 redistributable entries (32 bit and 64), if listed, and select Uninstall and then Repair. Otherwise:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Dependencies\__redist
or https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

- .Net Framework 4 (if the launcher starts, this should be fine)
https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/dotnet-framework-runtime

If you get an error mentioning the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file, or similar, it is part of the Microsoft Universal C Runtime, and on Windows 7 or 8.1 can be downloaded at the link below, or gotten through Windows update (it is already part of Windows 10).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and delete the 'Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition' folder.
This folder contains the saved games, configuration files and a level cache folder. Normally I would suggest renaming the folder for troubleshooting purposes, but if you don't have any saved games that isn't an issue.
Next, extract the replacement folder from this download into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, and see if that will let you start the game.

The graphicSettings.lsx file is set to 1280x720 Windowed mode, Very Low quality preset and low audio quality, which you can change in the options (manually, or hit autodetect) if this gets the game to start.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

If that doesn't help, please email supportdos2@larian.com with a dxdiag report (WinKey-R, type in dxdiag and hit enter, then when it finishes loading click on the 'Save All Information...' button and save the report somewhere handy). Also check the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin' folder for the gold.log file, and if there are any 'CrashDump' files being created, zip a few together to include.
Thanks for spending the time to make such a thorough answer. I will go through and check all of the things you mentioned. Some of them I can answer now.

Classic does not work either.

But the first game in the series does: Divinity: Original Sin.

I did not try the CPU at its default setting. I will.

All the extra packaged loaded. I spent the afternoon installing the game on a few different computers for the LAN Game night, and the G3258 and HD 5850 was the last one because my teenage son wanted to play, too. Anyway, the other installs worked just fine.

I also couldn't get it to run on an i5 760 with an HD 5970, but that is a completely different ball of wax.

I will do some more test when I get a chance.

Thanks