It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Considering that was the reason I preordered, I'm really disappointed. While I understand things don't always work out, that does not really help them to escape the fact they are currently heading into "No Man's Sky" territory.

I guess this is just another example of the fact that no matter how many times a company crosses the finish line, offering them pre-order money is probably a bad idea.

Pity. Not like the multiplayer loss is much of an issue, with the initial state of the game at launch being so controversial.
"No Man's Sky" territory would be a step up IMHO, that would mean Cyberpunk 2077 will redeem itself in the future by getting updates with most of the promised features. I'm not really sure right now CDPR will stick with CP2077 long enough for that.

I'm sorry you were looking forward to the seemingly canceled multiplayer, canceling features after launch can be heartbreaking if you bought the game for that. I personally never were interested in the MP, but that's besides the point. Hopefully CDPR really can make amends with their fans, and people won't simply forget all the CP2077 stuff when they announce/launch the next Witcher game.
MMOs require a lot more resources and logistics to maintain which would 100% take away from continued SP game development, as they would need to devote a large chunk (Maybe the entire team) of the team to divert too much time and resources away from both improving this and future games!

As in order to start/maintain an MMO, you not only need to constantly end up developing/testing/maintaining that game mode but you also have to have moderation teams babysitting the players and constantly battle with hackers and modders from hacking/modding the game, plus you have to ban, and maintain banned players, guard against griefers in order to keep the community stable and non-toxic so they don't quit en mass!

You also need robust servers and anti-hacking teams to protect them and not to mention the ugly specter of microtransactions/loot boxes and other shitty MMO accouterments to further decimate their standing as a AAA developer...

EDIT: The reason why NMS is able to maintain both an MMO and SP game is that the MMO is not as robust as a stand-alone MMO, but once they eventually devote more time to the MMO side you can bet that the SP game will suffer as a result!
Post edited April 14, 2021 by TZODnmr2k5
I don't think CDPR was planning an mmo. They were planning online multiplayer. MMO assumes there will be a massive number of online players on one shard or server. My understanding is it was going to be something more like RDR2 Online or GTA Online, with a smaller player base per server.
Timbroski: I don't think CDPR was planning an mmo. They were planning online multiplayer. MMO assumes there will be a massive number of online players on one shard or server. My understanding is it was going to be something more like RDR2 Online or GTA Online, with a smaller player base per server.
You're right I would imagine it should have been smaller-scaled as they don't have the resources to do an MMO and maintain an SP game, still, I'm glad that there will be enough of a focus towards improving the game while providing DLCs and TW3 sized expansion/s!

One would hope anyway!
Timbroski: I don't think CDPR was planning an mmo. They were planning online multiplayer. MMO assumes there will be a massive number of online players on one shard or server. My understanding is it was going to be something more like RDR2 Online or GTA Online, with a smaller player base per server.
TZODnmr2k5: You're right I would imagine it should have been smaller-scaled as they don't have the resources to do an MMO and maintain an SP game, still, I'm glad that there will be enough of a focus towards improving the game while providing DLCs and TW3 sized expansion/s!

One would hope anyway!
:) We're in agreement. Have a great evening!
TZODnmr2k5: You're right I would imagine it should have been smaller-scaled as they don't have the resources to do an MMO and maintain an SP game, still, I'm glad that there will be enough of a focus towards improving the game while providing DLCs and TW3 sized expansion/s!

One would hope anyway!
Timbroski: :) We're in agreement. Have a great evening!
And you as well, cheers!
foolishfrost: Considering that was the reason I preordered, I'm really disappointed.
The multiplayer was supposed to be a separate game. Quite possibly you would have to purchase it separately, or perhaps SP owners can get it for free or for a discounted price. That was, at least how I understood, the original plan.

Now they are planning on bringing multiplayer to all their games where it makes sense. So it might be the multiplayer will be implemented into the current Cyberpunk 2077 and not as a separate game.

If this is what they are now doing, it seems to me you made a mistake with the preorder as it wasn't going to have multiplayer anyway -- only as a separate game coming a year later. But now it looks like it might come to the very same game you did preorder. So this might actually be good news for you.
My main reason for playing is single player but if they actually canceled this game's multiplayer outright (I'm not sure they did, it just sounded like they delayed it indefinitely), I'm going to be bummed. There's a lot of great potential for a fun online component, especially if they get cross-play functioning.

In general, even if they don't do multiplayer for this game, their recent company update presentation seems to imply that they're interested in implementing optional online and/or multiplayer components to both franchises so perhaps hope isn't all lost.
Multiplayer canceled? Good riddance. It makes more sense for CDPR to put their effort into proper modding tools so that Cyberpunk 2077 becomes the next Skyrim and continues selling for decades because of endless "community-created DLC"... rather than the next Mass Effect 3 with tacked-on multiplayer that's mostly forgotten a year or two after release.

I can understand why they'd limit what we can mod at this particular point in time (because the game is still undergoing huge changes and it's hard enough to find bugs without mods thrown into the mix) but hopefully someday we'll actually get something akin to GECK/CreationKit that will allow us to add new quests, complete with recorded dialog... and then they'll open-up the mega-buildings and let the community fill them with new adventures.
I might be wrong but wasn't the plan at some point that CP2077 multiplayer is a separate game entirely? So CP2077 doesn't get a MP uptdate but they push out a CP2077 MP sh*t. And if thats cancelled I am more than fine with that :D
foolishfrost: Considering that was the reason I preordered, I'm really disappointed.
If you bought Cyberpunk for Multiplayer you're doing it wrong. I for one hope they NEVER implement Multiplayer. The game doesn't need it and it's more work for the dev's. Priorities should be put into fixing bugs and releasing DLC's and Expansions. Most of the community agrees this is the best approach for CDPR.
JakeOfRivia93: Most of the community agrees this is the best approach for CDPR.
At least I don't really care about multiplayer versions. I have not really played GTA Online or RDR Online, although I have put quite a many hours in both games in single player side. I have launched the multiplayer sides once or twice, but I haven't even played long enough to know whether the online versions have some sort of a storyline or if it is just heists/robberies/contests. Not my thing.

But I would be interested to know if there is any actual data. Is there market research data about this? What is the estimate of those who would not play it in any case -- free or paid, those who would play it if it is included in the main game for free, and those who would play it regardless of it being free or paid?

If there is some free version of it, I would probably launch it, check it out for an hour or two, then probably never launch it again, just like with GTA Online and RDR Online.
I mean I agree for the most part. I played Red Dead online and as soon as I hit the first town, I literally got shot off my horse and dragged through the mud.

Not a fan of open pvp games, and this might have become one.
foolishfrost: Considering that was the reason I preordered,
MP was always slated to be a separate game so that's on you.