It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,

So I am aware that the game will be heavily censored in Japan. What I am not sure of is whether it applies only to the console version or to the PC versions of the game as well. If it does apply, will both steam and GOG be selling the censored version of the game, or will GOG offer the uncensored version of the game?
Granhilde: Hi,

So I am aware that the game will be heavily censored in Japan. What I am not sure of is whether it applies only to the console version or to the PC versions of the game as well. If it does apply, will both steam and GOG be selling the censored version of the game, or will GOG offer the uncensored version of the game?
I'm in the same situation too, also living in Japan. I really want to know this too. This is the only reason I am holding off preordering the game.
Post edited October 18, 2020 by iodine131
Only console version of game will be applied. PC version will remain uncensored.

Can't post links now.....
alexwxh1: Only console version of game will be applied. PC version will remain uncensored.

How do you know this? I've been searching everywhere to find an answer before I preorder the game, and I haven't found a single website with any information other than it being censored in Japan with no comments on if the PC release will be too.
Has there been any confirmation on this yet?

I know it's possible to set your Steam account to the US even if you're living abroad so long as you've got an American payment method (such as a credit card). I was stuck on the JP store for a while, but I was able to set it back to the US when I went home for a visit a couple years back. I can see and purchase things that were unavailable on the JP store, and I can confirm that other censored-in-Japan games (such as RE2) are uncensored. So I'm pretty confident if I buy the game on Steam I'll be getting the uncensored version.

But, of course I'd rather purchase on GOG and give CDPR 100% of my money. It doesn't seem to be possible to change the store region on GOG. I'm assuming that the Japanese censorship only applies to the console versions, as they have to conform to the draconian CERO rating system. But I'd love to have this confirmed.
alexwxh1: Only console version of game will be applied. PC version will remain uncensored.

Canaeb: How do you know this? I've been searching everywhere to find an answer before I preorder the game, and I haven't found a single website with any information other than it being censored in Japan with no comments on if the PC release will be too.
Going off memory and it's been ~10 years or so since I last had anything to do in the software industry in Japan, and things might have changed but here's what I remember. And don't take what I say at anything more then what I can remember.

Console titles all require CERO certification and restrictions. PC games don't. Selling a product directly in Japan via a JP retailer may require mosaic. Some sites have more restrictive requirements then normal too(see the heavier restrictions on DMM vs DLsite for example). But if the product is imported, or sold through another provider that doesn't apply and companies(inc. the Adult AV industry) in Japan already use this to bypass these issues. And if a developer is based in another country they can sell the product uncensored - this was a grey area back then, but I think that's legal now.

As for what CDPR is going to do I've got no idea, but it would be my guess if you buy through GOG like their other titles you can pick a localized version if you want like with their other titles. But if you buy through anyone else, they'll likely only provide the version your region is in.
[deleted]
Post edited February 12, 2023 by lace_gardenia
lace_gardenia: Out of curiosity, is it primarily the nudity that is likely to get removed/mosaiced in the jp version, or violence as well?
Theoretically, just probably nudity. The rest are fine. A lot of Japanese games are pretty damn violent.
Just pirate it? Im heavily against it. If you want to give them money, do it via Merc Shop.
lace_gardenia: Out of curiosity, is it primarily the nudity that is likely to get removed/mosaiced in the jp version, or violence as well?
Extreme depictions of violence, such as decapitation or dismemberment, are not allowed by the CERO rating system. So yeah, it's violence as well as nudity that gets censored.
Horizon Zero Dawn reportedly has a separate Japanese version here on GoG:
https://www.gog.com/game/horizon_zero_dawn_complete_edition_jp

While CDPR/GoG wouldn't have to do the same for Cyberpunk 2077 (in HZD's case it was done because of contractual obligations in regards to the Japanese version not being allowed to contain localisations other than the Japanese one, iirc) it's still possible that Cyberpunk 2077 maybe gets a separate censored version as well. And not just here on GoG but on all platforms Cyberpunk 2077 is sold.

If you want to make sure that you're getting an uncensored version there's no way around using a VPN, it looks like.
Try changing your regional settings in Galaxy, pick a country that isn't censored... that worked for me with Witcher 3, so unless GoG have changed, it should still work (go ask official support in an email).