It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Conqueror is here!

The day that I thought would never come has happened! I never thought anyone else besides me played this game back then... I had its flaws, but wow, did I play the hell out of this game!

Just hope that it's free of bugs... Anyone played it yet?

The only thing that bugged me was the heavily incosistent flow of time on the map, anyone know if this might be fixed with this release or if there's some kind of fix for it?
Turnspit: Just hope that it's free of bugs... Anyone played it yet?
I don't own the game, but it's safe to say it's using DOSBox, so it'll basically be the same experience as the original, bugs and all.
tfishell: I don't own the game, but it's safe to say it's using DOSBox, so it'll basically be the same experience as the original, bugs and all.
List of GOG games using DOSBox
Yeah I got this game for my birthday when I was 14, Insta buy. It has its problems but it also has its charm and some interesting ideas. Quite surprised to see it, you don't hear about this one much.
It plays Ok I suppose, or at least about the way I remember it. you might have to lower the CPU speed on DOS box to a speed you like better though. The speed the game runs on seems way too fast for the time on the map, and the map scrolling. To change DOS box CPU speed use, CTRL F11 or CTRL F12.

I think they have it set to run too fast, this game never really did run all that smooth but I think is supposed to run at a slower speed. Especially for the map scroll and map time. So you have to adjust it a bit as you play.
The configuration file that comes with the GOG-Version needs to be optimized.
On my my i7 3770 the game runs very well with following changes in the "dosbox_ad1086.cfg" :

set....

memsize=16

to

memsize=31

and...

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto 30%
cycleup=10
cycledown=10

to

core=normal
cputype=pentium_slow
cycles=20000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

......save the changes.

Before you first run the Game you should run the config to set soundcards and resolution (648x480 , 800x600 or 1024x768) -Iprefer 800x600 on my 1920x1200 screen.

-Do that by clicking the right mouse button on "Launch Conqueror A.D. 1086" in your game folder , and go to "properties".
In the field where the destination path is shown should be "dosbox_ad1086_single.conf" in the line.
Change that without altering the rest with "dosbox_ad1086_settings.conf" and press OK.

Start the Launcher file and you get to the config settings of the game. After setting up the changes exit the Configurator and change the executable path back to single.

So again press right mouse button over launcher icon , "properties" and change "dosbox_ad1086_settings.conf" to "dosbox_ad1086_single.conf" , without changing the rest , and press OK.

Now the Game should run well , and if it's too fast or too slow , just increase/lower the cycles in rthe config file , or press CTRL-F11 to lower 1000 Cycles , CTRL-F12 to increase 1000 Cycles.
Post edited December 09, 2017 by grummel0815
grummel0815: The configuration file that comes with the GOG-Version needs to be optimized.
On my my i7 3770 the game runs very well with following changes in the "dosbox_ad1086.cfg" :

set....

memsize=16

to

memsize=31

and...

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto 30%
cycleup=10
cycledown=10

to

core=normal
cputype=pentium_slow
cycles=20000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

......save the changes.

Before you first run the Game you should run the config to set soundcards and resolution (648x480 , 800x600 or 1024x768) -Iprefer 800x600 on my 1920x1200 screen.

-Do that by clicking the right mouse button on "Launch Conqueror A.D. 1086" in your game folder , and go to "properties".
In the field where the destination path is shown should be "dosbox_ad1086_single.conf" in the line.
Change that without altering the rest with "dosbox_ad1086_settings.conf" and press OK.

Start the Launcher file and you get to the config settings of the game. After setting up the changes exit the Configurator and change the executable path back to single.

So again press right mouse button over launcher icon , "properties" and change "dosbox_ad1086_settings.conf" to "dosbox_ad1086_single.conf" , without changing the rest , and press OK.

Now the Game should run well , and if it's too fast or too slow , just increase/lower the cycles in rthe config file , or press CTRL-F11 to lower 1000 Cycles , CTRL-F12 to increase 1000 Cycles.
I use WIN XP and I cannot get it to work. Any Ideas? How to I get to change settings on DOS BOX? never had to tackle DOS BOX before. thanks