It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

How to get Carmageddon TDR 2000 running on Windows 11

I've got Carmageddon TDR 2000 running pretty well on Windows 11 at a resolution of 1920x1440x32 with auto-HDR. Here's what I've found works. Could be useful to get other older games working with W11.

All the links seem to be stripped away but a online search will quickly find them.

Two useful sites:

Carmageddon TDR 2000 - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game

Carmageddon: Total Destruction Racing 2000 | Carmageddon Wiki | Fandom

Path to game directory GOG Galaxy\Games\Carmageddon TDR2K

EAX sounds work with Creative Alchemy Universal.

Fix crashes with the game starting intro movies

Downloads - Dege's stuffs (freeweb.hu)

Winplay DLL - potential crash
Winplay DLL is a library for video playback and it is used by a lot of old games. Recently I found that this dll has a screen buffer overrun bug when I got persistent crashes with Soul Reaver and dgVoodo 2 if I used resolution larger than 640x480. (Native DirectX survives this bug by good chances because of the video memory layout used for that.) This patch fixes this bug - not only for Soul Reaver but for other games too, I guess.
From http://dege.freeweb.hu/Patches/patches/

Copy Winplay.dll to the game executable's directory.

Fix many graphical issues with DDrawCompat

narzoul/DDrawCompat: DirectDraw compatibility and performance enhancements for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 (github.com)

Copy ddraw.dll to the game executable's directory. Now when you run the game it will run the profiler for this wrapper.
TDR 2000 Advanced Video Settings in Options cut off

If display scaling is used you cannot see the advanced display settings.

Set scaling to 100% then open advanced settings. Once changes are made you can turn display scaling back on.

Game crashes when playing second mission "send in the sharks" and other missions

The fix is to set mip filter to 0 however the GOG advanced settings has this greyed out so we have to edit TDR2000.gfx manually.

"GOG Galaxy\Games\Carmageddon TDR2K\TDR2000.gfx"

TDR2000.gfx is generated on first run or clicking profile through advanced settings and holds all the graphics settings made in advanced settings.

We have to find the line where the min, mag, mip filter settings are.

Open TDR2000.gfx in Visual Studio Code. Make a copy of this file and also open this in VSC as we'll be making a comparison to find the line that changes. Now make a change to either min, or mag filter. Now compare the two files by right-clicking each in the file browser and select for compare. You'll now be able to see the line of code that has changed and is used for these three settings.

For example if you're using fullscreen and 1600x1200x32 at 50hz you'll see these two lines

Whereas if you're running the game in a window it will look like

Below these two lines another four lines down is the 3 digits we are looking for.

2f,c9
> 4,1,0 This is the line we want to edit

The third number is the mip filter - change this 2 to a 0.

I change the line to 4,2,0 so min filter is anistropic, mag filter is linear, and mip filter is none.
My Options>Display settings with a Nvidia RTX 3070 and 4K HDR display are:
Display driver: Primary
Render device: Microsoft Direct3D HAL (not hardware transform & lighting this causes a crash)
Display Resolution: 1920x1440x32 (Any higher and UI would get far too small)
Run in window: disabled
Texture quality: 100%
Opaque format: 32 bpp - ARGB 8888
Translucent format: 32 bpp - ARGB 8888
Transparency method: Color key
Transparent Format: ARGB 8888
Min filter: Anistropic
Mag filter: Linear
Mip filter: none
Filter transparency: enabled
LOD: greyed out
Anisotropy: 16
Depth buffer: 32 bpp
Rendering
Anti-alias: enabled
Dither: enabled
Miscellaneous
Pixel fog: enabled
Triple Buffer: disabled

Thanks to the thread https://www.gog.com/forum/carmageddon_series/how_to_remove_mip_filter

The only remaining issue is sometimes quitting the game it doesn't exit cleanly - blank screen - I have to ctrl-alt-delete and sign out to get the game to release the display.
Post edited December 16, 2021 by groggoggrog