It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Our release contains the DOS version by default, complete with both software and 3Dfx/Glide rendering modes. As you may know, however, Carmageddon also came with a Windows 95 patch.

Because this version has got problems with some ATI/AMD cards, as well as not-so-stellar multiplayer support, we do not want to make it available as an actual part of the release itself. This version will allow for higher resolutions, most likely better framerate, but may also be unstable on some PCs, or not work at all.

Basically, we only support the actual DOS release available in the installer and, if you want to try the Windows version, you do it at your own peril. ;) Just to clarify, the patch does not replace the DOS version, so it's safe to use - there's just no guarantee that it will work better than the default version, or at all.

You can download the patch here. We strongly recommend installing it by right-clicking the file and selecting "Run as Administrator".

Also, let us know in case you encounter problems with it, or if it works perfectly for you. :)
Post edited November 29, 2013 by JudasIscariot
Strijkbout: On my system this patch works perfectly, very good fps.
Thanks for this.

I have all my stuff from AMD/ATI, do you want me to PM you my dxdiag?
Just post what graphics card and driver version you're using, please. :)
TomBZombie: Hmm when you say "higher resolutions" what do you mean? The original carma95.exe only supported up to 640x480 does this allow higher ones??
You can set whatever resolution you want by editing ddraw.ini file.
SingleLukeReflex: The setup_carmageddon.exe won't even work on my copy of Windows 7/64. It asks if I'm sure I want to run it, I say yes (even tried as right-click admin, which I already am) and it thinks for a second then nothing. Unless it's a silent install that takes several hours...
Strijkbout: Maybe your antivirus or firewall is interferring.
Or it could be UAC (User Account Control) that's interfering. Try turning that off and then try running setup_carmageddon.exe.

How to turn on/off UAC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off
Post edited September 27, 2012 by JudasIscariot
Runtime Error (at 55:1503):

Access violation at address 7D763FE0 in module 'gdiplus.dll'. Read of
address 001B9D64.
DebugMode: Can we maybe please have an alternative *.zip?
Please run the file as Administrator and see if that helps.
NostalGuru: also gives me this now: unable to setup direct draw- please check that directx is installed
Win 7 x64
GTX 460
I7 2600k
Edit ddraw.ini file (in both CARMA and CARSPLAT folders) and set resolution to you native one.
Make sure that you have DirectX 9 files installed.
And if you installed game to default location, either edit files as admin, disable User Account Control, or reinstall it somewhere outside 'Program Files' .
Post edited September 27, 2012 by Thiev
anarchypt: I tried this win95 patch but it crashes as soon as the game loads

Did you guys changed anything regarding compability and such?
If it crashes with direct draw error, please see my earlier post.
Hi guys,

We have updated the base Carmageddon Max Pack installer to version 2.0 and the Windows patch has also been updated to go along with the 2.0 installer change.

Please click here for the updated version of the still experimental Carmageddon Windows patch. Thanks :)

The link in the OP is also changed :)
Post edited November 29, 2013 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: Hi guys,

We have updated the base Carmageddon Max Pack installer to version 2.0 and the Windows patch has also been updated to go along with the 2.0 installer change.

Please click here for the updated version of the still experimental Carmageddon Windows patch. Thanks :)

The link in the OP is also changed :)
damien: what exactly is an experimental patch?
It means we're not completely sure if it will work out well enough to where we can include it with the game hence the reason we give an open link.