It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey guys,

Is there a way to use the arrow keys to control the car?

The standard biddings are unusable for me, WASD can't be used and when I tried at least to rebind to keypad 5/1/2/3 (i.e. arrow keys-form), the car begun to misbehave - it wouldn't stay in a line.

Alternatively, is there a way to use the wireless 360 (for windows) pad? Neither the DOX nor Win version seem to work. I know I can use a program to bind keys to the pad, but I was looking for analog controls if possible.

Thanks.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Sykes: Hey guys,

Is there a way to use the arrow keys to control the car?

The standard biddings are unusable for me, WASD can't be used and when I tried at least to rebind to keypad 5/1/2/3 (i.e. arrow keys-form), the car begun to misbehave - it wouldn't stay in a line.

Alternatively, is there a way to use the wireless 360 (for windows) pad? Neither the DOX nor Win version seem to work. I know I can use a program to bind keys to the pad, but I was looking for analog controls if possible.

Thanks.
Is this thread useful to you?
http://www.gog.com/forum/carmageddon_series/carmageddon_does_not_reconginize_my_joystick
Sooo... Thanks for the link. I've been playing with the DOSBOX remapper and managed to remap the numpad arrow keys to normal arrow keys so that's cool.

The gamepad is actually working (I didn't know one has to rebind it to the actions) but since controlling the car just with the left stick is uncomfortable, I tried to rebind the left stick up/down movement to right/left trigger in the dosbox remapper.

This works only partially. I can accelerate with the right trigger and break with the left trigger, but the car accelerates much slower than when I use the keyboard. I think that even when I press the right trigger fully, it only registers as partial press.

Any idea what is wrong here?

Thanks.
Sykes: Sooo... Thanks for the link. I've been playing with the DOSBOX remapper and managed to remap the numpad arrow keys to normal arrow keys so that's cool.

The gamepad is actually working (I didn't know one has to rebind it to the actions) but since controlling the car just with the left stick is uncomfortable, I tried to rebind the left stick up/down movement to right/left trigger in the dosbox remapper.

This works only partially. I can accelerate with the right trigger and break with the left trigger, but the car accelerates much slower than when I use the keyboard. I think that even when I press the right trigger fully, it only registers as partial press.

Any idea what is wrong here?

Thanks.
If you are using a 360 controller, why not try using the shoulder buttons instead of the triggers? I know they aren't the ideal buttons to use but they are digital controls instead of the analogue Z-axis that the triggers operate on, and as such they might work better for the remapping in this game.
Well the point is I want analog controls.

Although I'm not sure, does carma even support analog gas/break?
Sykes: Well the point is I want analog controls.

I don't this game has 100% controller support. You can take a look at this thread on the official website and use xpadder, but you might end up with some weird controls...
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/561
Sykes: Well the point is I want analog controls.

Turns out it does support analg controls.
http://carmageddon.wikia.com/wiki/Controls

I never knew that, as I've always played with keyboard.

You might be able to use GlovePIE to turn your 360 pad inputs into PPJoy ones and see if you can get those to be picked up by DOSBox. Though PPJoy doesn't have signed drivers yet so if you are on a 64-bit Windows then there is even more work needed to get that set up.

EDIT:
Found this thread.
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/561
There is a post in it about how someone got it working. However, it required using XBCD drivers instead of the standard 360 controller drivers. So again, a problem on 64-bit as they are unsigned drivers.

EDIT 2:
Huh, that link I posted, turns out it is the same as the one Zurvan7 posted. :P
Post edited February 13, 2014 by korell
Thanks. I'll look into that threat.