It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try last update, and i only obtain an erreor 0xc0000007b on launch.

I try on a W10 X64 and a virtual w10, same thing.

I don(t have openal.
supercdfr: Try last update, and i only obtain an erreor 0xc0000007b on launch.

I don(t have openal.
I have the same problem, have you managed to to find a solution? Thanks
Download and install the Visual C++ All In One Runtimes This should fix the error and if it doesn't, uninstall and reinstall the game and run it as administrator.
supercdfr: Try last update, and i only obtain an erreor 0xc0000007b on launch.

I don(t have openal.
Same problem. Mori_Yuki's fix didn't help, either.
high rated
GOG put wrong OpenAL32.dll into setup. They used x86 version of file instead of x64 version OpenAL32.dll (@GOG, yes, both x64 and x86 version are named OpenAL32.dll but files are not the same). 64bit GOG installer works for some only because they installed full OpenAL setup before, so game uses file from %SystemRoot%\System32\OpenAL32.dll , not the one from root of game installation folder. Either replace mentioned file in game folder with x64 version or install OpenAL.
(btw I do not own this game, friend with the same problem asked me for help so I helped him first..)
Post edited November 13, 2022 by kingit
kingit: GOG put wrong OpenAL32.dll into setup. They used x86 version of file instead of x64 version OpenAL32.dll (@GOG, yes, both x64 and x86 version are named OpenAL32.dll but files are not the same). 64bit GOG installer works for some only because they installed full OpenAL setup before, so game uses file from %SystemRoot%\System32\OpenAL32.dll , not the one from root of game installation folder. Either replace mentioned file in game folder with x64 version or install OpenAL.
(btw I do not own this game, friend with the same problem asked me for help so I helped him first..)
i lov u so much!!!
Mori_Yuki: Download and install the Visual C++ All In One Runtimes This should fix the error and if it doesn't, uninstall and reinstall the game and run it as administrator.
Question does BrokenSword 2 need the 2005 and 2008 versions? Cause these ones did not want to instell (error).
All the others install fine.

I also tried to install open AI (both version the creative one and "1.1 SDK")...but no luck.
Where can I get the file which they perhaps put wrong?
Post edited June 19, 2023 by alpha6613
Just for info, I returned (ask for refund) of the game ..it did not want to run on WIn 7 64bit even if I tried much.... however the orig version runs fine on Win2000, I have an older mainboard and HD with this OS..

...but not on Win 7 or 10 64bit which are ofc my main OS
Post edited June 23, 2023 by alpha6613
kingit: GOG put wrong OpenAL32.dll into setup. They used x86 version of file instead of x64 version OpenAL32.dll (@GOG, yes, both x64 and x86 version are named OpenAL32.dll but files are not the same). 64bit GOG installer works for some only because they installed full OpenAL setup before, so game uses file from %SystemRoot%\System32\OpenAL32.dll , not the one from root of game installation folder. Either replace mentioned file in game folder with x64 version or install OpenAL.
This fixed it for me as well. Thanks!
cleiby: This fixed it for me as well. Thanks!
Thank you so much! It solved the problem for me as well. But now the game is presenting me a new error message... Altough it recognizes my graphic card (it is written in the top line) it can't find the sound card. I checked the drivers and they are correctly updated. Did anybody else find this new, unexpected, problem, please?
Thans for your attention!
Attachments:
bs_error.jpg (54 Kb)
cleiby: This fixed it for me as well. Thanks!
Callerafa: Thank you so much! It solved the problem for me as well. But now the game is presenting me a new error message... Altough it recognizes my graphic card (it is written in the top line) it can't find the sound card. I checked the drivers and they are correctly updated. Did anybody else find this new, unexpected, problem, please?
Can you check if re-installing the game (after having installed the new OpenAL) fixes the sound card detection issue?
Callerafa: Thank you so much! It solved the problem for me as well. But now the game is presenting me a new error message... Altough it recognizes my graphic card (it is written in the top line) it can't find the sound card. I checked the drivers and they are correctly updated. Did anybody else find this new, unexpected, problem, please?
PraetorianWolfie: Can you check if re-installing the game (after having installed the new OpenAL) fixes the sound card detection issue?
Thank you for your reply PraetorianWolfie!

I had pasted the OpenAL directly in the Game folder, overwriting the given one. Now I'll try to install it in the W System and then unistall and re-install the game.
I'll let you know the result soon.
PraetorianWolfie: Can you check if re-installing the game (after having installed the new OpenAL) fixes the sound card detection issue?
WOW! It worked! You are a genius, thank you so much!!!

P.s.: first I installed OpenAL in my Windows folder System32, rebooted my PC and, after re-installing the game, I overwrote the OpenAL32.dll in its folder.
I had the same isue with BS2:Remasterd on my 64-bit Win 10 Home. Tried possibly all different variants of the proposed setup (game then OpenAL setup, file overwite, run as admin and in compatibiliyty mode etc.) and it didn't help.
Here is my solution on how to play this game - a convoluted one but at least it allows you to have fun with the game.

1. download 32-bit WIn 7 ISO image, I used archive(dot)org

2. use the ISO file to deploy virtual machine, I used Virtual Box 7.x

3. add virtual network interface (NAT type) or shared folder to the vitual machine - this will be used to exchange files between virtual appliannce and host PC

4. use default Win 7 bowser (Internet Explorer) to dowlnoad modern browser like Chrome install it

5. if you use network interface then your file exchange will go through some cloud storgae service so modern browser is a must as IE won't be able to connect and load the page

6. transfer all neccessary files into virtual machine:
- offline game installer (I used the 32-bit one as the OS was also 32-bit)
- OpenAL 1.1 Windows Installer (zip) which was downloaded from openal(dot)org/downloads/
- Mesa3D MSVS based installer (github(dot)com/pal1000/mesa-dist-win/releases) - more on that later

7. install the BS2 game onto virtual machine, I used default folder "c:\gog games\Broken Sword 2 Remastered"
- trying to run the game now will give you the error 0xc0000007b

8. install OpenAL onto virtual machine

9. rename the file OpenAL32.dll from game folder into something like OpenAL32.bak - this shall cause the game to use DLL that was installed in previous step (the file shall be in c:\windows\system32\OpenAL32.dll)
- trying to run the game now will give you the error about missing OpenGL drivers (despite the fact that mine WIn 7 had DirectX available, when I run dxdiag it shows DirectX 11 is available although without DIrectDraw nor Direct3D acceleration)

10. install Mesa3D drivers (MSVS based) and restart the virtual machine

11. after reboot your game shall run,
- in my case it was quite slow animation and some videos were loosing audio
- I didn't set any compatibilty modes or settings

Hope this helps.
Post edited January 07, 2024 by jszyman
Hello just to tell that I got the same issue with Broken Sword 5 on Windows 11 and the installation of OpenAL software fixed the startup issue.