It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

... so much for this game.

It started once after giving this message, but won't start again.

Help much appreciated.

/edit:
Attempted solutions: Installed some age old Windows 7 security update. Didn't help.
Post edited March 20, 2021 by Vainamoinen
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Vainamoinen: ... so much for this game.

It started once after giving this message, but won't start again.

Help much appreciated.

/edit:
Attempted solutions: Installed some age old Windows 7 security update. Didn't help.
Have you tried running the game in administrator mode? Other people running in windows 7 seem to have this update and talk about installing windows updates to fix it, but not sure which ones. You could always take a chance and download the DLL from one of the many sites offering it by searching the internet.
I had the same problem, but with the files "xinput1_4.dll" and "Api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll". I searched those files in my computer and copied them to the same location as the main EXE of the game (not the EXE file where the shortcut points). That works for me.

Of note, don't download these files from the internet. Get them from your own computer or trusted sources.

Many current games often have the problem with the xinput file.
Post edited March 20, 2021 by 22raider
Thanks for the replies, but no luck yet.

Couldn't find the file/files on my computer, so I downloaded the API-dll-file and put it right into the folder with the game exe (that's C/GOG Games/Beyond a Steel Sky on my computer).

Same error. :|
Vainamoinen: ...so I downloaded the API-dll-file and put it right into the folder with the game exe (that's C/GOG Games/Beyond a Steel Sky on my computer).
That's not the game's exe in that folder. Put the dll here:

C:\GOG Games\Beyond a Steel Sky\BASS2\Binaries\Win64
low rated
Vainamoinen: Thanks for the replies, but no luck yet.

Same error. :|
Here exists only one way!
Please see at the System requirements!
And you know it!
Hustlefan: That's not the game's exe in that folder. Put the dll here:

C:\GOG Games\Beyond a Steel Sky\BASS2\Binaries\Win64
Thanks, that was one huge step forward. Unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet.

I don't get the API message any longer. The game still crashes on start, the second message (that has always been there since yesterday) is:

LowLevelFatalError [File: Unknown] [Line:198]
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A007 - 'RESET')
Post edited March 21, 2021 by Vainamoinen
low rated
Vainamoinen:
Yes, you can ignore it, but if you want play new games, you need modern OS!
Data protection or not!
Post edited March 21, 2021 by cybersonic2k
cybersonic2k: Yes, you can ignore it, but if you want play new games, you need modern OS!
Data protection or not!
I have a modern OS, it's called Ubuntu 20.04. Does that help? Either games need to run on Linux or Windows 7. I don't care for a "Modern-er Windows". I have tried Windoz 10 a total of 3 times, every time I upgraded to Windows 7.
Post edited March 21, 2021 by errolt
errolt: I have a modern OS, it's called Ubuntu 20.04. Does that help? Either games need to run on Linux or Windows 7. I don't care for a "Modern-er Windows". I have tried Windoz 10 a total of 3 times, every time I upgraded to Windows 7.
Thanks errolt, but I'd rather not have this thread devolve into a discussion of Windows versions.

The Revolution Software website clearly states that this game should run on Windows 7, so cybersonic's posts are just silly trolling.

Please help me get this crappy situation with the game under control. I was looking forward to this game, a lot.
Post edited March 21, 2021 by Vainamoinen
That is great!

I just saw on the GOG page that only Win10 is supported.

If the official stance is that it is supposed to work then I can buy it and try. If it doesn't work then I can help with debugging the issue...

Even Linux support!! Gotta support them!
Post edited March 21, 2021 by errolt
Only DX12 games require exclusively win10. However, some DX12 has been developed to run Win7, such as World of Warcraft and Cyberpunk2077.

Any game that runs on DX11 will work always on Win7 and Win8. However, many developers forget to include some files that are not present in these OS, such as "xinput" or "Api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32". There are even some DX11 games that are modified, deliberately, so that they only work on windows 10 (i.e. Little Nightmares II).
low rated
Vainamoinen: Please help me get this crappy situation with the game under control. I was looking forward to this game, a lot.
This Situation exists, because you use 11 years old OS!
This not 'trolling', it's true!
Fancy facts?
Windows 7 released to manufacturing July 22, 2009; 11 years ago
Mainstream support ended on January 13, 2015

Accept it or dont play modern games!
Post edited March 22, 2021 by cybersonic2k
Vainamoinen: Please help me get this crappy situation with the game under control. I was looking forward to this game, a lot.
cybersonic2k: This Situation exists, because you use 11 years old OS!
This not 'trolling', it's true!
Fancy facts?
Windows 7 released to manufacturing July 22, 2009; 11 years ago
Mainstream support ended on January 13, 2015

Accept it or dont play modern games!
Your telling truth... and laying in the same time!

For Microsoft "Windows 7" is something different than "Windows 7 SP1". The latter had default support until 14 January 2020:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-7-sp1-support-notification-7e0bbdd4-4370-5631-dbc0-71f70051c9f8
When someone mentions "Windows 7" it usually means "Windows 7 SP1".

Microsoft offers paid support (ESU) which extends life of Windows 7 SP1 up to year 2022:
https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-PL/troubleshoot/windows-client/windows-7-eos-faq/windows-7-extended-security-updates-faq
It's not for "Organizations" only. User just must find local reseller. But it's expensive.

I've paid for ESU and I'll keep my two power rigs with Win7 as long as possible (Cyberpunk 2077 works good on them). Win10 is abomination. I know because I manage small network with DELL PowerEdge server (Windows Server 2019) and several OptiPlex workstations (Windows 10 Pro, so far 1909). Management is nightmare.
I'm on Win7 too - I get the "api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l1-1-0.dll is missing" message telling me that the game can't start ...
but after a few seconds it starts and plays just fine. Tried it a few times.

Win7 Ultimate in case that makes a difference. i5, GTX1080, all drivers up to date.