It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For my 1440 display, I changed the res in the .INI to 1920*1440, the highest 4:3 res that I can pull off, but the graphics certainly seemed very blurry for that res. Does changing the res in the file to something so high really have any effect, or am I still just getting 1024*768?

Back when it still worked on our systems, I've played GOG's Empire Earth, a contemporary of this game with very similar graphics, at 1440 and it looked MUCH crisper than this did. This game is so blurry that it causes me eyestrain.

...this is why all strategy games should be 2D as 3D RTSes do not age well at all.
I am hoping for a crucial update from the guy who recently uploaded the custom resolution patch. How about an alternative download link into Mediafire or Mega NZ?

At least the game was temporary free for only 48 hours.
vrmlbasic: all strategy games should be 2D as 3D RTSes do not age well at all.
i don't necessarily agree, but i must admit that 1920x1080 Red Alert 2 was absolute eye-candy (and it also plays so much nicer with the increased view).
didn't even need any patching or whatever. you just open the configuration file and type in the resolution you want to use.
even the in-game interface didn't go all whack. here's an example :-)

also, it might be a good idea to check what kind of stuff you have enabled/disabled in your nvidia/amd control panel.
some options don't go well with old games, some might even mess with battle realms specifically. make sure you try to change a few settings around to see if it helps with blurriness or other graphic issues.

one thing i will definitely recommend is turning on v-sync for this game (force it via nvidia/amd control panel).
for some reason, how fast you scroll(pan) depends on fps in this game.
so as you're scrolling over the battlefield, the speed at which you scroll will vary, depending on how many fps are drawn. (so if there are a bunch of buildings, trees and units in your view, you will scroll slower than when you scroll over empty terrain.)
(turn on triple buffering while you're at it!)
Post edited June 12, 2015 by Bucake
Alright, it's authorised and downloadable now. If anyone still wants to mirror the file somewhere else, feel free to do so.

fk.: it doesn't incorrectly stretch anything, i.e. the aspect ratio of everything is intact.
Bucake: no offense, but this is a preference.
if you look at the HUD, would you really say that that's not stretched? (or maybe i should say squashed.)
i prefer 4:3 over a messed up HUD and a smaller field of view..
Well, yeah, the interface is stretched. I didn't mention it because it doesn't really bother me and I kinda take it for granted; that's just how 2D interface art works, it's just gonna end up stretched. If that bothers you, fair enough, but not much to do about it. As for the FOV, I actually agree; as I said, the camera is already too close for my taste and I'm not a fan of cutting off even more of that. But: options.

vrmlbasic: For my 1440 display, I changed the res in the .INI to 1920*1440, the highest 4:3 res that I can pull off, but the graphics certainly seemed very blurry for that res. Does changing the res in the file to something so high really have any effect, or am I still just getting 1024*768?
The game doesn't actually support any 4:3 resolution; it supports only certain resolutions (not all of which are 4:3 or 5:4, funnily enough), the highest being 1600x1200. So you probably ended up back at 1024x768 or whatever the game falls back to. With my patch, you should be able to get both plain higher-res 4:3 or full-on widescreen with the caveats I mentioned.

PS: Actually, by turning a widescreen monitor into portrait and using appropriate resolutions, one can get massively more vertical field of view than at 4:3 (and an even more messed-up interface). Not that I'd recommend anyone do that.
Post edited June 12, 2015 by fk.
Well, thanks for uploading the custom resolution patch, FK. It actually worked like a miracle. This should have been released way earlier back several years ago.
fk.: I've made a patch to allow the game to use custom resolutions, including widescreen resolutions. It mostly works fine (the main menu layout is a bit messed up) and it doesn't incorrectly stretch anything, i.e. the aspect ratio of everything is intact. The downside is that at wider resolutions, the vertical field of view is decreased; in other words, the wider the resolution, the less of the game area you can see, and since the default zoom distance is already abysmally small...

Linky:

http://www.moddb.com/games/battle-realms/downloads/battle-realms-custom-resolution-patch

I've attached shots of 4:3 and 16:9 for comparison purposes.
Can you change the "field of view" and "Viewport" value from 4:3 to 16:9 ?
That is better than 4:3 screen crop.
sorry I bad English.

When you look at this picture, can you have any idea?
Attachments:
1080x1920.jpg (336 Kb)
Post edited June 13, 2015 by om_duel
fk.: I've made a patch to allow the game to use custom resolutions, including widescreen resolutions. It mostly works fine (the main menu layout is a bit messed up) and it doesn't incorrectly stretch anything, i.e. the aspect ratio of everything is intact. The downside is that at wider resolutions, the vertical field of view is decreased; in other words, the wider the resolution, the less of the game area you can see, and since the default zoom distance is already abysmally small...

Linky:

http://www.moddb.com/games/battle-realms/downloads/battle-realms-custom-resolution-patch

I've attached shots of 4:3 and 16:9 for comparison purposes.
I love you.

+rep
hey,

I seem to be having trouble with this patch.
I extracted it into the game's main directory (where the game's executable is) and ran vcredist, but trying to run the resolution-patch exe results in errors about missing files(such as cx_freeze_init__ ). I've tried putting all the files from the "library" directory in the same main directory as well, but the error continues.

Is there anything I should be doing differently?

thanks!
avnertishby: hey,

I seem to be having trouble with this patch.
I extracted it into the game's main directory (where the game's executable is) and ran vcredist, but trying to run the resolution-patch exe results in errors about missing files(such as cx_freeze_init__ ). I've tried putting all the files from the "library" directory in the same main directory as well, but the error continues.

Is there anything I should be doing differently?

thanks!
I have the same issue and feels like I wanna give up on this. I got LG SuperLED 22" full HD 1080p display. whew :(
As far as I know the game is forced to 4:3 resolutions. When I first played this game, I had a widescreen monitor. Whenever I tried to manually set the resolution to my native the game always changed it back to 1024x768. My friend's monitor used 1600x1200 as resolution, and the game just loved it.

However now as I got this game on GOG I use a 5:4 monitor with 1280x1024. The game not reset the resolution when I change to my resolution. So it is not really forced to 4:3 but still something block it from too wide resolution. Maybe some textures which can not stretch that way.

If you remember to the Jedi Academy, that one has the same problems with the texture stretch. Especial the loading picture has this issue.
its not working, it always jumps back to the desktop when i try to start the game.

when i used the patch
Fleshcrawl: If not for fullscreen widescreen resolution, is there a way for at least windowed mode?

Enjoy,
Fleshcrawl
Of course. You can run pretty much any game in a window.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Battle_Realms#Windowed

http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibility-tools/using-dxwnd/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

Plus, you are literally seeing less of the game and making it "rectangular" by cutting off the top and bottom of the "square" normal 4:3 view, so windowed mode is probably better.
Post edited June 30, 2015 by BrandeX
Here, to add to the discussion. This is what you've been looking for all along. :)
Post edited May 26, 2017 by BRJoker