It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I am running windows 8 with the same direct draw problem. The game is quite laggy when you try to play except in the lowest resolution. I found a solution that made the game work in full resolution. Have the game run in 16 bit color mode and use the /w switch for the shortcut. In game you can set the games highest resolution and for whatever reason the game speed works like a charm. Sure you have to deal in being in the corner but its not a big deal because you can reduce your windows resolution down enough that it will be a close enough match. The game is at least playable without lag that way.
Hi everybody,
I'm not sure if this is still relevant for somebody, but I've recently tried to get some old games running on windows 10, including Anno 1503.
I tried the solutions here but I still experienced a relatively low frame rate, especially when playing in 1280x1024 resolution.

I think I found a solution for it though that I wanted to share :)
For another old game (Star Trek Birth of the federation) there is a tool called "DxWnd", I'm not really sure what it specifially does but I assume it's some kind of DirectX Emulation.
Since I had it for that other game already, I just put the Anno1503startup.exe in it and left all the settings as they were and it works perfectly fine without any lag on the highest resolution :)

Here a quick guide on what I did:
1. I downloaded the dxwnd_fullscreen.zip here (at the end of the first post, scroll down a little):
*Hmm I cannot post a link, just add www. to it...:*
armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?t=3179
2. I extracted it to my Anno 1503 installation folder, so there is a new folder named "dxwnd Fullscreen" in it. I guess the location doesn't really matter.
3. I started the dxwnd.exe that is in that folder.
4. There is a long list of settings in it already for that other game, i just right-clicked the top one (Birth of the Federation) and selected "modify".
5. I changed the Name to "Anno 1503"(optional) and Path and Launch to "InstallationDirOfAnno1503\1503Startup.exe" (see image)
6. I left all the other settings as they were and clicked "OK".
7. I right-clicked the just modified entry and selected "run".

That's it :) I changed the resolution in-game to 1280x1024 and it works fine without lags

8. When closing dxwnd you should click "yes" to save the modifications you made. You'll have to run it through that tool every time so you might consider creating a short cut.

Maybe this helps somebody :)

My system for reference:
I used the Anno 1503 "Königsedition" DVD I bought a few years ago, not the GOG version, I hope it works with it as well.
Windows 10 64bits
AMD FX-4100
8GB DDR3
AMD R7 260X

Good luck and god bless :)
Attachments:
dxwnd.jpg (78 Kb)
download.jpg (23 Kb)
Post edited March 12, 2018 by TheGeneralGER
I recently installed Anno 1503 as the disk game would no longer work on Windows 10. I have been happily playing for several days with minor hick-ups but nothing terrible.

Today the game refuses to start. I get the error message that "15503 has stopped Working". Has anyone else encountered This??
TheGeneralGER: Hi everybody,
I'm not sure if this is still relevant for somebody, but I've recently tried to get some old games running on windows 10, including Anno 1503.
I tried the solutions here but I still experienced a relatively low frame rate, especially when playing in 1280x1024 resolution.

For another old game (Star Trek Birth of the federation) there is a tool called "DxWnd", I'm not really sure what it specifially does but I assume it's some kind of DirectX Emulation.
Since I had it for that other game already, I just put the Anno1503startup.exe in it and left all the settings as they were and it works perfectly fine without any lag on the highest resolution :)

1. I downloaded the dxwnd_fullscreen.zip here (at the end of the first post, scroll down a little):
2. I extracted it to my Anno 1503 installation folder, so there is a new folder named "dxwnd Fullscreen" in it. I guess the location doesn't really matter.
4. There is a long list of settings in it already for that other game, i just right-clicked the top one (Birth of the Federation) and selected "modify".
5. I changed the Name to "Anno 1503"(optional) and Path and Launch to "InstallationDirOfAnno1503\1503Startup.exe" (see image)

That's it :) I changed the resolution in-game to 1280x1024 and it works fine without lags

8. When closing dxwnd you should click "yes" to save the modifications you made. You'll have to run it through that tool every time so you might consider creating a short cut.

My system for reference:
I used the Anno 1503 "Königsedition" DVD I bought a few years ago, not the GOG version, I hope it works with it as well.
Windows 10 64bits
AMD FX-4100
8GB DDR3
AMD R7 260X

Thank you! Almost worked perfect! Only that with the dxwnd-settings for Birth of the federation the minimap didn't work for me. I had to enable "flip emulation" in the "DirectX"-tab in dxwnd for everything to work properly (no lag with 1280 x 1024 resolution + working minimap).

Attaching screenshot.

All the best!
Attachments:
Post edited April 19, 2019 by pep_moo
TheGeneralGER: Hi everybody,

My system for reference:
Windows 10 64bits
AMD FX-4100
8GB DDR3
AMD R7 260X

thank you!

i bought the GOG version, it was very laggy, so i tried your solution and it first didn't work: When i clicked "run" nothing happened and when i clicked on "try..." it gave me an error message. I then copied the entire game out of the GOG folder and tried again (with the new pathand launch ofc), and now it worked.