It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So this patch was only for the english version?
What if i want to play the german version, will the fixes only work on the english version?
Does the german version also have broken quests?
Fonzer: So this patch was only for the english version?
What if i want to play the german version, will the fixes only work on the english version?
I would have the same questions, but for the french version. If anyone has the answers, that would be really nice :)
Fonzer: So this patch was only for the english version?
From the readme of the patch of the history edition AND the original edition:

The purpose of this patch is to provide a 100% proper English localization, for both the European version and the
American version, while also fixing the remaining game, quest, and achievement bugs. The bug fixes will work on all
other language versions as well.
Post edited April 11, 2022 by twifight
twifight: From the readme of the patch of the history edition AND the original edition:
Thanks for your help !

So we simply apply the patch like for english version and don't bother about the language ?
No special installation ?
Post edited April 19, 2022 by Splatsch
I've found the aforementioned scrolls link (the one moddb mentions) still works. You can find a full rundown of patches for versions on the wiki. Don't know if I can post a link so just search for the following term:

anno 1404 fandom wiki patches

However, having read the blurb, I question it's usefulness. Firstly, it doesn't clarify which (if any) of the unoffical patch versions work for the Gold edition I own. Secondly it seems like the modder was American who had a pretty ignorant bee in their bonnet about the game's English language translation. For example, they, er, corrected "Mill" to "Flour Mill", not realising that in ye olde middle ages (and earlier) that's almost entirely all that mills did - produce flour - and almost entirely for bread. Other types of mills (saw mills etc), are all post-mediaeval and just borrow the term "mill". It doesn't end there, our yankee doodle changes "crop farm" to "wheat farm" unaware that "crop" in this context/time isn't a generic term for food, it means to cut off & gather up. No one back in the day said "I have a wheat farm" - no, even if wheat was one of their main crops, they'd grow and crop other stuff too (hay, parsnips etc, etc). Our yankee is mistaking organic mediaeval farms for the modern mono-crop megafarms of his country's midwest.

They improperly changed "loan" to "grant" - on the surface this makes some sense as loans aren't repaid with gold, but they aren't grants! And the loan isn't really gold but honour (gold is just the currency of this honour) - and it is repaid via the honour system. The term "honour debt" would be more helpful than "loan", but "grant" isn't.

They changed "glasses" to "eyeglasses" - unaware that a) most folk even today use the term glasses to mean eyeglasses, and b) back in mediaeval days most folk didn't have glassware for other uses (few even had it in windows except for nobles and churches). Back then mugs etc were leather, wood or pottery (note pewter was rare). I could go on but you get the point - the uap was put together by some well meaning ignorant yank on the autism scale.

There are some other types of changes in the patch, and some seem useful (eg tooltips info), but others seem like yet more preferences/pedantism. There's just one - repeat one - listed apparent crash fix (to do with one quest), but for all I know the Gold edition fixed that anyway (the wiki says the History edition has all fixes but it's vague on Gold).

Anyway, maybe this is why GOG didn't bother to include the unofficial patch's other supposed "improvements".
Post edited September 14, 2022 by streetyson
Hi I just bought the game but can not install; its just show server Error; any one can help?