It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello, everyone!

I'm not sure how many people have encountered this problem, but it happened to me while trying to install the game yesterday.

At first, everything went normally, just like with any other GOG game. But when the install was close to finishing, I got this error:

"Internal error: Expression error "Runtime Error (at 23:21):

Access violation at address 777932B0 in module 'ntdll.dll'. Read of address 0AAFCC52.'"

After that, the installer installed Visual C++ 2012. But after that was finished and the installation was "successfully" complete, I got two more errors:

"Runtime Error (at 202:22):

Invalid Opcode."

"Runtime Error (at 202:82):

Out of Global Vars range."

Then, even though I knew it wouldn't work, I tried running the game launcher. But when the launcher was updating, I got an error similar to the first one:

"Internal error: Expression error "Runtime Error (at 23:21):

Access violation at address 777932B0 in module 'ntdll.dll'. Read of address 086D57B2.'"

After that, it tried to install Visual C++ 2012 again, even though it was already installed. After that, the launcher behaved as though it updated, I clicked "Play Game" and.....as you can imagine, nothing happened. :P

I've tried fixing the issue by downloading the installer again, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and uninstalling, downloading and installing Visual C++ 2012 from a different source. No luck so far.

If anyone has any idea how I could fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
This question / problem has been solved by Goworimage
Hello,

Please run the installer, and after it shows you the error message, copy and send me a log file - you can find it in the Temp folder (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp). The file is called "Setup Log (date) #(number).txt". If you sort the files by date, it will be the newest one.
Gowor: Hello,

Please run the installer, and after it shows you the error message, copy and send me a log file - you can find it in the Temp folder (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp). The file is called "Setup Log (date) #(number).txt". If you sort the files by date, it will be the newest one.
Sorry for the late response. Sent via PM.

Bumping this, just in case.

Another bump as I think you did get my PM this time.
I'm getting very similar errors on my end, also I can't launch the launcher after the game is installed. I'll be following this thread.
Hello,

We uploaded a new version, in which we eliminated an issue that could cause the problem with the runtime error.

Please let me know if the problem persists in the installer.
The problem remains (though the first error doesn't reappear when the game launcher is updating like it did before), but I'm actually starting to think that this is a problem on my end. You see, I've been having trouble with other things as well. Skype, Steam, DOSBox, even some games that don't require any client.....they all refuse to run. I've been wrecking my brain trying (and failing) to fix them individually, but it might be a problem that affects all of them.

In any case, thank you very much for your help. If the problem persists even after I've fixed those other problems, I'll let you know.
That sounds like a serious problem.

My first guess would be an overly eager antivirus or other similar software (some are very difficult to actually turn off). The second would be some damage to the system files (which can be checked with System File Checker).

BTW do you get this error with any other game from GOG (for example the free ones)?
In terms of antivirus programs, I only have AVG (I had Avast, but due to an infection of all things, I had to remove it) and turning it off doesn't help any, nor do scans with anti malware programs. I've also tried the System File Checker and it turned out nothing.

However, Steam and DOSBox games do run when I run the computer in Safe Mode (albeit without sound). So at the very least, there is something going on in the background which is blocking these applications.
You can open System Configuration (windows key+r to open Run prompt, then start msconfig), and look under Services and Startup to see what is running in the background.

But only do that if you know what you're doing, because you can break your system by switching off the wrong thing. If you're not sure what you can safely do, don't change anything.

And if you find the issue, please let me know if that fixed the installer problem too :-)
Or create a System Restore point before tinkering with msconfig. :D

We uploaded a new version, in which we eliminated an issue that could cause the problem with the runtime error.

Please let me know if the problem persists in the installer.
Actually, sadly, a new problem has arisen on my version of the client. It worked perfectly, then the update came. The computer then told me I needed to start the game in administrator mode, which I did, then the computer stopped recognizing the existence of the client. I click on it, it asks permission, I give it permission, then nothing happens.
I was just going to post how well everything was working, then this happened.
The "offline" version works fine, however, and the single player game is fine.
Gowor: You can open System Configuration (windows key+r to open Run prompt, then start msconfig), and look under Services and Startup to see what is running in the background.

But only do that if you know what you're doing, because you can break your system by switching off the wrong thing. If you're not sure what you can safely do, don't change anything.

And if you find the issue, please let me know if that fixed the installer problem too :-)
Well, I found the issue....that being that I'm an incredible moron.

As it turns out, relying on the "Check for Updates" option under Device Manager is not a good way to update your drivers. Once I actually uninstalled the video driver and installed the latest version manually, shockingly, everything started working fine again. And I do mean everything; Skype, Steam, DOSBox, Railroad Tycoon 3....and yes, the AvP installer and launcher as well.

So thanks to my failure of basic troubleshooting, I've not only managed to waste your valuable time, but I also helped cause an update that resulted in the game not working for someone else. Yep, I've certainly earned my Dunce hat for the month... -_-

In any case, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for the help that you offered.
Gandos: In any case, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for the help that you offered.
No problem, that's why I'm here :-)

BTW what video driver was it? There are more people with this problem, so maybe they can fix it the same way :-)