It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Since Rebellion seems to not know how to code properly as of late and isn't willing (at all, apparently) to fix any of the new bugs they introduced in the 'better' version of AvP that are ruining my enjoyment of the single player mode, allow me to (re)introduce to the world a magical executable coded by someone who doesn't hate the AvP community as much or who has some idea of how to fix code without introducing bugs.
[url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp]http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp[/url]/

Basically, when I started to go through the alien campaign for the 20th time (this time being on AvP Classic code), and I saw that the auras *were completely messed up*, I decided to reach for the new and improved (read: old and stable) AvPx. It works on top of the GOG AvP Classic installation.

Biggest differences I see that I love:
UI no longer scales and becomes tiny as your monitor increases in resolution
Alien no longer constantly tripping on acid and misreading pheromones

You cannot use this for Galaxy multiplayer. You may be able to play over LAN, but I haven't tested that feature on top of the GOG install.

The save files work interchangeably *but you have to figure out where in god's name Rebellion put AvP Classic save files*, bonus scavenger's hunt from the developers to rub more salt in your wound.
Spoiler alert: C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\Rebellion\...

And if you're crazy like me, you can try (and succeed!) to compile the source code, so you can fix that slightly annoying bug with the one alien campaign cheat mode.

I'm still not sure why Rebellion didn't just pay this guy 1K and taken the changes he's made as a baseline for AvP Classic...
They did use my changes to make the Steam version, but from code from late 2009 or so :)

They refused to credit me at all for my changes. I was offered a free copy of AvP 2010 as a thank you but they never gave that to me...

What's the bug with the alien campaign cheat code and I can fix it?

By the way, the UI scaling was something they actually changed themselves that I never got around to. I'm glad someone isn't bothered by my lazyness on that front!

-Barry
zakhennahr: And if you're crazy like me, you can try (and succeed!) to compile the source code, so you can fix that slightly annoying bug with the one alien campaign cheat mode.
sirlemonhead: What's the bug with the alien campaign cheat code and I can fix it?
MotionBlur, the cheat mode obtainable by beating the alien campaign level Gateway in under 4.5 minutes and with an average speed of 9 m/s, is bugged in AvPx and AVPC2K. Basically, it simply doesn't work the way it should. You can see through walls and the original motion blur effect isn't apparent. AVP Classic 2000 naturally has its share of problems with the mode too, but it's somewhat different. Check out this video to see.

TripTastic is bugged as well in both AvPx and AVPC2K. I do remember playing TripTastic in the original Gold Edition. In AvPx, you can clearly see through walls and aliens are completely invisible when looking in electrical vision mode. AVPC2K also has a problem with it. Check out this video to see.
Post edited November 28, 2014 by Olde72
Thank you for this information! Good thing I have a habit of looking up what a particular game's community has to say about lingering bugs and unofficial fixes BEFORE playing that particular game!

Also wanted to bump this thread as it could be useful to others.
I will *try* get to fixing remaining issues with AvPx someday, but I make no promises :)

It's definitely good to be reminded of things, especially with features I'm not particularly aware of.