It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Running at 1080p and the text is too small, does anyone know if there is a way to increase the size of the text? Thanks
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
I want to +1 this.

Is there anything GOG can do about this? It is awesome that the game supports even 4K but the objective texts becomes unreadable because the size.
The game was designed back in 1999. Playable resolutions were smaller back then so the devs probably didnt expect this to become an issue.

Text isn't terribly important during SP. If you can't read it quickly enough, try to find a safe spot to hide in for a while and press your chat key to bring up dialgue and try to read it that way. Other text is of lesser importance and during MP you wont have time to read.

Of course, it would be better for all if text could be increased but it's an unfortunate tradeoff between higher resolutions which the engine can support but the UI wont scale well to. Try lowering the resolution to something like x768 or x600. But honestly i'd rather have higher res than text.
We have the source code for the game. We could probably do it ourselves... who knows if it would work with the GOG Galaxy.

http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/AvP/
Happydude996: We have the source code for the game. We could probably do it ourselves... who knows if it would work with the GOG Galaxy.

http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/AvP/
I doubt it'd work with GoG Galaxy. My code doesn't have working multiplayer at all unfortunately. The latest source is in http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/AvP/branches/workbranch/trunk/ by the way, but i'm hoping to clean things up a bit soon.

I also don't have any HUD scaling code in there at all, but it could be (and should be, when I get around to it..) be done
Long time no see, sirlemonhead. I remember when AVP had the problems with the audio sync of the videos and you happened. Thank you for all help you provided to the community.
hrveey: Running at 1080p and the text is too small, does anyone know if there is a way to increase the size of the text? Thanks
The higher resolution you set, the smaller the font size will be. The font size is in fact nearly microscopic at the highest setting. There's no getting around it except to lower the resolution or, as I did, get used to it.
TaxAkla: Long time no see, sirlemonhead. I remember when AVP had the problems with the audio sync of the videos and you happened. Thank you for all help you provided to the community.
Thanks, it really means a lot to hear appreciation for my work :) If anyone happens to still use my .exe for the game and encounters any problems, please let me know and I'll try fix them.
Yes, your exe has problems with GOG version:
1) Has longer loading times (about 1 minute or more) and the letters in the menu are all crossed in red.
2) I remember you exe replace the animated menu (bik video) for the earlier one, so isn't a bug per se.
3) I tested with the mod AVP Classic Redux (http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-predator-classic-redux). Some problems are: the Marine night view isn't clear like the AVP GOG and it has the same problem with crashing when the level is finished. It will be cool if we could play the campaign with the mod without crash.

Thank you again.
That red text thing always comes back to haunt me :P The red is in the actual texture itself, and surrounds the letters like a grid. I think peoples different texture filtering options are sometimes causing it to appear. Do you have anything specific related to texture filtering enabled in your graphics cards property menus, that you're aware of?

Can you clarify what you mean by the replaced animated menu video?

with that mod, is the first marine level crashing?

Thanks!
TaxAkla: Yes, your exe has problems with GOG version:
1) Has longer loading times (about 1 minute or more) and the letters in the menu are all crossed in red.
2) I remember you exe replace the animated menu (bik video) for the earlier one, so isn't a bug per se.
3) I tested with the mod AVP Classic Redux (http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-predator-classic-redux). Some problems are: the Marine night view isn't clear like the AVP GOG and it has the same problem with crashing when the level is finished. It will be cool if we could play the campaign with the mod without crash.
TaxAkla, I don't know if the "exe" you're talking about is MelPyth or AvPx. It would help if you clarified. As far as I understand, sirlemonhead was a part of both projects. For the rest of this post, I'm going to assume you're talking about AvPx, the executable that allows Gold Edition to work properly on Windows 7 (MelPyth is a mod that changes a number of core features with the gameplay but it unfortunately won't load levels on my computer).

I have zero clue as to why you're talking about the exe having problems with the GOG version of Classic 2000. AvPx was made years before that stolen version was released on GOG, and even Steam for that matter. As far as I understand, it was designed to be installed on top of AVP Gold Edition. Even the default install pathway is Fox/Aliens versus Predator, not GOG Games/Aliens versus Predator Classic or Steam/SteamApps/common/Aliens versus Predator Classic. I don't have the faintest idea why you'd even want to run AvPx through the Classic 2000 folder because Gold Edition is the superior version, aside from not having Gold Edition (which kind of makes AvPx a moot point, no?) or the fact that you can't feasibly do multiplayer in GE anymore.

Same thing with Redux mod; that mod was designed to work specifically for Classic 2000. If you want to play the Redux version, why not just use Classic 2000? I mean, if you want to play the classic Gold Edition version, play that version, don't add stuff on top of it. As of right now, it sounds like you're running AvPx on top of Classic 2000 on top of the Redux mod. Of course there are going to be problems with it if you do that, but they don't need fixing. The Redux mod was solely the work of Mad_Max_RW and it's neither sirlemonhead's nor Max's responsibility to ensure that the two are compatible.
Post edited November 24, 2014 by Olde72
I had no part of MelPyth but I know Mel who was going to help me with some AvPx stuff but that never happened in the end.

And yep, AVP Gold was the version of the game I had when I started working on the source code, but it shouuuuld also work on the original AvP 1999 release, and the Steam version's data files.
Hello, again. Just to clarify. I was talking about sirlemonhead exe version (1st April 2013) at [url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp]http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp[/url]/

a) About the main menu: the GOG version has the animated one (pulsating facehugger). If I start with your executable the menu showing is the classic static one (blue space with stars).

b) About the problem with AVP Redux: since all the single player levels crash when finished and Rebellion never gave any support to this mod, I tried with Sirlemonhead version. But has the same problem plus longer loadings. Since the mod works in multiplayer (so far), a single player focused executable that play without crash would be very welcome.

c) I'll look at home what texture filtering my video is using.
sirlemonhead: I had no part of MelPyth but I know Mel who was going to help me with some AvPx stuff but that never happened in the end.

And yep, AVP Gold was the version of the game I had when I started working on the source code, but it shouuuuld also work on the original AvP 1999 release, and the Steam version's data files.
Ah, sorry for the mistake. Maybe I was thinking of astro_muppet? Information on the modding history for this game is so scattered that it's hard to reconstruct the pieces without actually having been there or talking to people who were.
Yeah no worries :)