It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

lumin: 1. I don't want matchmaking, achievements, etc. I just want to play with the people I live with. Secondly, if GOG didn't want pirates then they wouldn't have gone the route they have with games with zero DRM (until now that is). Their attraction has always been low prices and DRM free to get people to buy their products to support them. And I think that has worked out well. It's not the same as logging into GOG to download a patch because only 1 user needed to do for his 1 copy for his whole group of friends playing with him over multiplayer. Now, for AVP, every user needs an account just to play together.

2. I keep hearing this excuse: "If it didn't exist in the game in the first place (like LAN), then don't ask GOG to build it". Except GOG IS building something into these games: Galaxy. So it seems it's all good for them to offer this type of multiplayer, "but don't you dare ask for some other kind of multiplayer, that's going too far!"

And in the case of AVP, if I don't use Galaxy, it is absolutely NOT as functional since there is no multi-player without it. In other words, the message GOG is sending is, follow the rules with our new DRM client and you'll get all of the features. If you don't want the DRM, that's fine, but you don't get to play with your friends. That's a far cry from the Galaxy advertizing which touted this as "only a matchmaking service". Well, turns out it's quite a bit more than just matchmaking, it's the entire multiplayer experience.
We're not building anything into games - we don't own them / control them. It's developer's call in the end to add specific multi-player modes / technologies. Precisely this is why AvP could not be really released in functional form on GOG until now - because it offered only Steam multiplayer which now finally can be exchanged into Galaxy. If a game would offer LAN play or Direct-IP or any other obviously we'd keep this functionality intact.
Post edited October 22, 2014 by Destro