It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

* Skirmish now always uses Steam name
Gotta erase all references to the warm vapour!
No, it uses your Profile Name. After the logos and title intro, it will ask you to select your profile. Skirmish mode is not multiplayer, so it uses your profile name. It's not the game's fault if your profile name and your Steam name are the same.
My point exactly ^.^
AVP Classic on GoG carries over all the data from your Steam version: game name, controls, video/audio preferences, levels beaten, saves, cheat modes unlocked, etc. In that sense, the GoG and Steam versions of the single player are connected. But you can always create a new additional profile on GoG if you don't like your previous Steam profile.
Wait how is that even possibiru? You're free to create an in-game profile and all settings are governed by that profile while you use it. Granted i have only one and no Steam installed game so i could be very wrong, but i dont even...
I think he's saying that he doesn't like how the Steam version of the game carries over for the GOG version. If I understand him right, I think he's not digging the fact that it just uses the exact same game profile(s) for GOG.
Post edited October 22, 2014 by Olde72
Olde72: I think he's saying that he doesn't like how the Steam version of the game carries over for the GOG version. If I understand him right, I think he's not digging the fact that it just uses the exact same game profile(s) for GOG.
I think you got him wrong. What he is trying to say is that GoG should update the readme file to reflect that this game's multiplayer is not limited to Steam anymore. It seems rather silly to keep it the way it is now considering that GoG and Steam are competitors.
It seems that the Galaxy and Steam versions save to the same location not so much that the Galaxy client is, on it's own, pulling over your steam profile. Also it's beta there is no need for an updated readme at this point and time. Both the galaxy and steam version are going to be updated so that players of both versions can play together, at which point I'm sure the readme will be updated to reflect that. I assume if your Galaxy and Steam profile names are the same then it's going to have all the same info. It seems based on the readme that you are locked to your Steam profile name in the Steam version (I wouldn't know don't have it on Steam). Not sure what the Galaxy restrictions are ATM but it might change because again this is beta and also I use the same profile name for Galaxy and the AvP in-game Profile.
I think it's game dependant. I have Gnomoria DRM free and later got it on Steam and regardles of which game i start the same game launches with the same settings, saves, etc. Steam only adds it's overlay feature but there's no difference. FTL is the same way, ditto Xenonauts. Xenonauts and Gnomoria can also be started without launching Steam, while for some reason this is not true for FTL.

But yeah, despite having more than one copy of the game installed they can all access the same profile if the profile/saves are kept separately from the game folder.
DreadNORD is spot on.

hmm, FTL doesn't try to launch steam when I use my GoG version. Don't have it on steam though, maybe that's the reason.
Any game that saves to the user documents folder will share data between distribution types. Can be good or bad...
To clarify, when i start a *Steam* installed version using the .exe file rather than Steam client, FTL will still start the client, Gnomoria and Xenonauts will not. DRM free versions of FTL and Gnomoria will ignore Steam and start normally.

Not all games offered on Steam require the client to launch, if you wish to avoid the client you simply make a shortcut to the game's .exe. FTL was a puzzling case because it's available DRM free and it's weird that Steam forces it to run with a client even though it has no leaderboards, achievements or similar features.
Post edited October 23, 2014 by SleepyChef