It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Played a few games of Multiplayer, jumped in and out of DM games with no trouble.

No lag over my connection, the only shortcomings were the cumbersome menus from the original game, but that's not the problem of GOG.

Great so far, will update this thread with any other feedback as I play more games. :)

Run from: Windows 7 Quad Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 1GB NVidia Card.
Post edited October 21, 2014 by JinrohDev
same here. only issue I found was while talking, I may have hit a key that had me stuck on command line for a while before getting out of it. Also, I can't help but question why the marines are so easily insta gibbed by the peds and aliens.
I was only able to connect to a game with the Windows Firewall disabled. No prompt for allowing access through the firewall.
Joining games worked fine and fast. But yes, the lack of mouse controlled menus is a bit cumbersome. But you can't expect that in all old games.
LordBarker: Joining games worked fine and fast. But yes, the lack of mouse controlled menus is a bit cumbersome. But you can't expect that in all old games.
I played for a bit multiplayer and had no problems other than one error message when trying to enter a multiplayer game, easily corrected when attempted again. overall good smooth online experience
Windows 8.1 64 bit. Didn't have to do anything to configure the game. Had a very good connection for an hour and a half with only occasional ping spikes. As a long time fan of the game, I was very impressed by how well this beta is working.
LordBarker: Joining games worked fine and fast. But yes, the lack of mouse controlled menus is a bit cumbersome. But you can't expect that in all old games.
That threw me for a loop as well, as I thought a game from 2000 would have had mouse support in menus. Oh well, memory didn't serve very well haha.

Constructive feedback gives me a bad taste as they're really doing an amazing job, but the only real non-user intuitive thing I've noticed was that the server list will display, "NO SERVERS FOUND" or whatever then a few seconds later the list will populate.

This is likely just a quirk with the AvP engine, but I still thought I should mention it because the first few times I fired it up, I thought there were no servers available. Then went to play single player instead.
Post edited October 21, 2014 by JinrohDev
foxtrack: same here. only issue I found was while talking, I may have hit a key that had me stuck on command line for a while before getting out of it. Also, I can't help but question why the marines are so easily insta gibbed by the peds and aliens.
You probably accidentally deleted the 'SAY' function. Just retype this in and hit 'enter' and it should be back to normal.

As for the marine part, try using a minigun to even the odds :)
foxtrack: I can't help but question why the marines are so easily insta gibbed by the peds and aliens.
My thoughts exactly. I'm a first time player so maybe I'm doing something wrong? I set a predator alight, shot him literally dozens of times with bullets and rifle grenades, on only for him to camp, then kill me with one shot. I thought maybe he healed, but I doubt he had time. Happened again later. Those bullet sponges and 1-hit kills of theirs and the Aliens seem a bit overpowered, to put it politely.
Post edited October 23, 2014 by RetroCodger426
Predator is a walking, cloaking, self-healing tank with a lot of complicated weapons. It's not easy to learn to play the Predator well but those who are good with it can seem invincible. They are not. [Edit - If Predators use Discs they are pretty invincible but not because of skill]

Aliens are lightning-quick glass cannons that can instakill Marines with their charged tailswipe and can move around the map in a very unpredictable manner. They are easier to figure out and may seem super effective but again, only in the hands of a good player.

Marines on the other hand are weakest by far and weakest by design. It's a challenge to stay alive but unlike other species they have a lot of weapons and a few of them are extremly good. Marines are also pretty easy to figure out simply because they don't feel so alien in a FPS enviroment. They may be easy prey but the have burst capable weapons and dont need energy.

Flamer is unfortunatly very weak, even terrible. Stay away from it. You'll just as easily set yourself on fire and even if you hit an Alien or Predator all you'll do is illuminate them rather than incinerate.

Smart gun and Minigun are much more lethal and the SADAR is pretty baws if usually clumsy and restricted by terrain. Soldiering on with the Pulse rifle is also a good way to improve aim and become better at playing the Marine.

Playing through the SP is also pretty decent because the enemies are easier but at normal difficulty still very dangerous.

To kill Aliens, aim whatever you have at their heads (and good luck), and against Predators, STAY ON THEM, they can heal within seconds and will certainly try to do so. Also take every chance to destroy energy pickups because Predators are more effective with a free energy supply easily obtainable.

If you consider the movies, a single Alien is a brutal, sneaky, genocidal killing machine that can tear through several squads of your average marine types. The Predator... well you saw the film, you know the deal. And so the Marine is basically up against it when facing either species, BUT they both bleed and logic dictates that you can kill them. Just not very often, or very easily. ^^
Post edited October 23, 2014 by SleepyChef
GOG has really done a great job supporting the multiplayer on this old classic game. I found it very easy to find and join multiplayer sessions. This is a feat that is difficult (or I should say not convenient) to do for most PC games including newer titles.

Controller support was even added as my Xbox 360 controller worked right off the bat with no need to configured it. Although, I wouldn't recommend trying to use the controller on multiplayer as everything is moving way to fast and it’s very hard to hit anything even with a mouse.

The GOG launcher is also a nice addition as it updates the game upon launch and has very "clean" aesthetic presentation. I look forward to the release of the full Galaxy client software.

Thank you GOG releasing games the way they should be…fixed and ready to play.
Excellent post, SleepyChef. Some very good tips in there. Thankyou :) This was of particular interest:
SleepyChef: To kill Aliens, aim whatever you have at their heads (and good luck), and against Predators, STAY ON THEM, they can heal within seconds and will certainly try to do so. Also take every chance to destroy energy pickups because Predators are more effective with a free energy supply easily obtainable.
*Homer Simpson "Doh!" I didn't know it was possible to destroy those energy pickups! :)
Olde72 posted some good videos re. match setup and tips on playing the species. Species tutorials kinda jump straight to the advanced stuff but give a good idea of why competent players seem so good and how to improve.

http://www.gog.com/forum/aliens_versus_predator_classic_2000/video_tips_on_playing_multiplayer
Damn strong gameplay/movement via the poopy level of wifi provided internet that I'm dealing with currently. Very smooth and fun.

I'm seriously down with this with Unreal Tournament - who is with me!!!!
My network firewall keeps blocking the multiplayer portion of AVP. The only way I can run it is if I disable my firewall. Does anyone know what ports I need to open up?

PS Thanks GOG! I remember this game back in the day. I started playing single player marine and still jump when an alien pops out of know where!!