It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Direct3D Initialisation Failure.

Please check you have the latest version of DirectX,
and the latest drivers for your hardware.

Windows 7 64 Bit
16 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

I've got the latest drivers installed.
This question / problem has been solved by zpalacioimage
Did you start the game from the Start Menu? Using the AvP - Galaxy Client shortcut?
That should start the client and auto update the game files. I think the game needs a small update before you can start it, so you need to run the Galaxy Client at least once.
Try to install this - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
SleepyChef: Did you start the game from the Start Menu? Using the AvP - Galaxy Client shortcut?
That should start the client and auto update the game files. I think the game needs a small update before you can start it, so you need to run the Galaxy Client at least once.
First I tried to start it with the GOG Launcher after that I tried to use the AvP_Classic.exe. I always get the Direct3D error I got this already installed. I got 300+ games on steam and I can play them all without any problems.

I also tried to run it in admin mode and in compatibility mode.
Post edited October 22, 2014 by XR4zzor
I have the same problem with this game.

HP EliteBook 850 G1 Notebook
- Intel Core i7-4600U
- DDR3 16GB
- Windows 7 Enterprise x64
- AMD Radeon HD 8750M + Intel HD Graphics 4400

I thoght it was something related to the switching between Intel Video Card & the AMD VC. I've set the "High Performance" profile for avp_classic.exe, but I still get the same error.

I have DirectX 11 installed (as per info from dxdiag)
I had the same. Black screen and when I switch to desktop the error pops up. But a moment before I accidentally hit Esc (during black screen) and the game started. Now works without any problems. Hope it helps.
Goblin_Wizard: I had the same. Black screen and when I switch to desktop the error pops up. But a moment before I accidentally hit Esc (during black screen) and the game started. Now works without any problems. Hope it helps.
Hi,
I haven't obtained any black screen.

After I click the start menu shortcut I get 3 very quick (<1s) screen flickers (on black) and then the pop-up message appears.

If I hit ESC at any time after clicking the shortcut, but before the error message appears, nothing happens (it's like I cancelled the game execution). I've tried a couple of times; a few times immediately after clicking the shortcut; a few times after 1-2 flickers passed... Same outcome.
cscrieciu0: After I click the start menu shortcut I get 3 very quick (<1s) screen flickers (on black) and then the pop-up message appears.
Yeah I also get these very quick screen flickers.
Post edited October 22, 2014 by XR4zzor
So nobody ever found a solution for this issue? iv tried some suggestions from other pages but nothing seems to work.
cscrieciu0: After I click the start menu shortcut I get 3 very quick (<1s) screen flickers (on black) and then the pop-up message appears.
XR4zzor: Yeah I also get these very quick screen flickers.
Same for me, doesn't matter if I try to start from the Galaxy Client or directly. Half a dozen of rapid black screen flickers, and then the attached error message.

(I have tried running the linked DirectX installer, no effect.)

My setup:
Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64 bit)
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-2300
GeForce GTX 460 (latest drivers, 344.75)
Attachments:
direct3d.png (11 Kb)
XR4zzor: ...NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
mcduke: ...GeForce GTX 460
Try closing or uninstalling Nvidia GeForce Experience, if it's running on your system.
Hi guys,

Would those having this problem please try my version of the AvP Gold .exe, hosted at [url=http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp]http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp[/url]/ ?

I'm not suggesting that you have to/should use my version as an alternative, but I want to know if the same issues occurs with my code. I'd really appreciate if you could let me know! :)

You'd just need to point my installer to where GOG has the game installed, and then run avpx.exe from within that folder to launch the game.
XR4zzor: Direct3D Initialisation Failure.

Please check you have the latest version of DirectX,
and the latest drivers for your hardware.

Windows 7 64 Bit
16 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

I've got the latest drivers installed.
i had the same problem but then i solved it launching the game in windowed mode

for launching the game windowed i did right click at AvP_Classic.exe- click Send To > Desktop (Create shortcut), then go to the desktop shortcut of AvP_Classic, right click, click property, in target at the end of the address i added space and then after this i added: -windowmode, like this "C:\Users\your profile\Desktop\AvP Classic\AvP_Classic.exe" -windowmode (there is a space between AvP_Classic.exe" and -windowmode)
Post edited December 14, 2022 by zpalacio
I used dgVoodoo2_79_1, I copied the directx files to the main dir. To get rid of the watermark, I copied all files included to the main dir also folders. Then I started the voodoo configurator and removed the watermark and also put it to widescreen mode.
Post edited March 23, 2024 by hunter009