It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Happydude996: I'm glad you're enjoying it! Favorite species/weapon?
LuciusP: Haven't pegged a favourite species yet and still trying to find my bearings with each of them, but so far, the zippiness of the alien makes it the most exciting, and the ability to climb over any part of the map is something new for me. More games should have that ability, even though it's very easy to lose your bearings at times.
Skwareblox: I played this back in the day both single player and multiplayer. My favorite mode then was co-op because i sucked at regular DM because i was so young but i don't remember this game being so fast paced. I guess maybe my senses were a lot sharper back then and things seemed a lot slower.

Single player was a fun experience and nerve wracking playing as a marine back in the day. It was incredibly fun though but now it's aged and it shows quite a bit with the simple goals of "Hit the button for the next thing to happen!" but that's okay. A lot of this game oddly reminds me of the original unreal, i don't know what engine they used at the time though. Probably something they made themselves that resembled the unreal engine.
LuciusP: Despite a minor hiccup when I first tried logging into MP games, it's amazing how fast you can get into a game and just play and thankfully the graphics are at a level where they look great and don't require massive bandwidth for rendering so lag is minimal.
I know gog did an amazing job on this with their beta of this. It's superb and the older games only usually work better due to better computers and networks. Only issue is some of the older games only support out dated multiplayer connections or have networking code that's outdated inefficient and over all buggy. I don't think this game ever suffered from those problems so it was probably pretty easy to get this game working for modern systems. Hopefully more games as far back as the mid 90's will see multiplayer support again through gog.com.
Skwareblox: I played this back in the day both single player and multiplayer. My favorite mode then was co-op because i sucked at regular DM because i was so young but i don't remember this game being so fast paced. I guess maybe my senses were a lot sharper back then and things seemed a lot slower.

Single player was a fun experience and nerve wracking playing as a marine back in the day. It was incredibly fun though but now it's aged and it shows quite a bit with the simple goals of "Hit the button for the next thing to happen!" but that's okay. A lot of this game oddly reminds me of the original unreal, i don't know what engine they used at the time though. Probably something they made themselves that resembled the unreal engine.
Rocket_Bird: I used to play this game pretty competitively in multiplayer in both DM and Co-Op, and I can almost echo your experience. My reaction time is certainly slower with age :)

I just got out of a co-op. Not sure if it's just me, but I simply cannot recognize the map!
I was only 8 years old when this originally came out so i was terrible at DM but my ability to process the information was more than enough to keep up with it. Now i'm way better at DM but some times i do lose track of the enemy lol but i think a life time of gaming has kept my sense sharp and quick so far. We'll see if that changes in the near future :P

If you had the normal version of this back in the day there may have been some maps for the gold edition that you simply never played! I don't remember if i had gold edition or not back then but i know there's things here i don't remember all to well myself.
Just tried MP as Predator. It's so easy to make mince meat out of marines. There was this one player though: He/she was good. They got me a few times using the smart gun. I did notice that those times when I died as Predator, I died a lot easier than some Predators I've encountered as a marine. The amount of hits I took seemed reasonable. One thing I had trouble with as a Predator was killing aliens. I was definitely scoring lots of direct hits, but one player in particular (who was an Alien) was nigh on indestructible. Lag must be an issue here.
So, the Predator isn't as invincible as I first thought. I also noticed that Aliens can sneak up and kill him in one strike of the tail.

It's a challenging game, but so unique it's atmosphere and pace. I've never really played anything quite like this. Multiplayer is genuinely nerve wracking and exciting! How does it's direct follow up compare?
Post edited October 23, 2014 by RetroCodger426
3 charged tailstrikes are needed to kill a healthy Predator. Something must have gone badly wrong there. And lag is definetly going to help Alien players.

I suppose annoyed Predators can allways use the Disc if they want something dead very badly. Unless it's banned ofc. ^^
RetroCodger426: One thing I had trouble with as a Predator was killing aliens. I was definitely scoring lots of direct hits, but one player in particular (who was an Alien) was nigh on indestructible. Lag must be an issue here.
So, the Predator isn't as invincible as I first thought. I also noticed that Aliens can sneak up and kill him in one strike of the tail.
Who was it, by the way? As a mostly alien-user, I can tell you with certainty that very skilled aliens can easily take down predators with no lag on either end at all.
Also, aliens can't kill preds in one strike of the tail. Melee back attacks (claws/tail for the alien, wristblade for the predator) do double damage so a backstabbing tail strike can deal significant damage, but not so much to take down a predator in a single hit.
RetroCodger426: Just tried MP as Predator. It's so easy to make mince meat out of marines. There was this one player though: He/she was good. They got me a few times using the smart gun. I did notice that those times when I died as Predator, I died a lot easier than some Predators I've encountered as a marine.
Marines have a hard time for sure, but if they know how to use minigun and they're smart they'll be alright. In the old days, the marines would play DM, but all gang up and watch each other's backs. They'd set up camp in one corner of the map and blow away anything that tried to get close.

RetroCodger426: How does it's direct follow up compare?
AVP2 is awesome for the balance and options in multiplayer (full alien life cycle! yeah!), but it's a lot slower and it has plenty of bugs. I think people still play it today.
RetroCodger426: Just tried MP as Predator. It's so easy to make mince meat out of marines. There was this one player though: He/she was good. They got me a few times using the smart gun. I did notice that those times when I died as Predator, I died a lot easier than some Predators I've encountered as a marine. The amount of hits I took seemed reasonable. One thing I had trouble with as a Predator was killing aliens. I was definitely scoring lots of direct hits, but one player in particular (who was an Alien) was nigh on indestructible. Lag must be an issue here.

It's a challenging game, but so unique it's atmosphere and pace. I've never really played anything quite like this. Multiplayer is genuinely nerve wracking and exciting! How does it's direct follow up compare?
I just made mince meat out of Marines and Aliens alike a few minutes ago, the secret to play a predator and unlock god mode is to actually hunt your enemies, I use the taunt a lot, you can see the Marines starting to look around quickly but it's too late, the time it takes them to find you is enough for closing in and wristblade their butts (or aim with spear gun or the all mighty disc). :)

For aliens I tend to asses priorities, if you can cycle through the vision modes without any issues even during fights you should be able to take down your highest threat in the field (Alien) and then cycling to thermal to go for the Marine, always check the score so you can see how many aliens and marines you're facing, that way you can focus on using a vision mode more than the other.

Another thing to quickly detect aliens closing on you is their footsteps, you can hear them when they're closing in, if you're quick enough you can turn and spear gun him, most alien players tend to run straight at you when chasing so it's pretty easy to hit them, now there are some good players out there, who take seriously hunting marines and predators alike, for those situations I suggest going with the disc, some of the can evade your attacks and get personal real quick and bam! you're dead.

Sorry for the long read, I got a little bit carried away. :)
Good post, Clsldmc :) lots of good tips there, thanks! :)
To the previous posters: Yes, I've played quite a bit more and indeed, you can't be killed by one single Alien attack when playing as Predator. In this match, this is definitely how it appeared. Maybe he hit me a few times but some lag or other issue meant that I didn't detect the hits until his final strike killed me? No idea. As for the player, I really can't remember the name. He was ploughing through everyone though, I remember that! :P

Tonight I created a nice session entitled Predator 2. It's a Predator Tag match set in Meat Factory with no Aliens allowed. I'm not racist against Aliens, I just wanted a more pure Predator-styled hunt. Only additional pickups for the Marine are the Minigun and pistol -(for if you have a death-wish) :)

It was full up for a while. Might still be going now. I've saved it and might activate it again tomorrow, if anyone wants to play as a lone Predator vs. a ton of Marines.
Post edited October 25, 2014 by RetroCodger426
Oh yeah, I was there. :)
RetroCodger426: Tonight I created a nice session entitled Predator 2. It's a Predator Tag match set in Meat Factory with no Aliens allowed. I'm not racist against Aliens, I just wanted a more pure Predator-styled hunt. Only additional pickups for the Marine are the Minigun and pistol -(for if you have a death-wish) :)

It was full up for a while. Might still be going now. I've saved it and might activate it again tomorrow, if anyone wants to play as a lone Predator vs. a ton of Marines.
Yeah please do!
Olde72: Oh yeah, I was there. :)
Yeah, we kept running into each other. I remember you left in the end so someone else could be Predator :D

Sorry Happydude996, I forgot all about this. I was out yesterday. I'll run it now :)
Post edited October 27, 2014 by RetroCodger426