It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

see topic
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Tachikoma.979: see topic
Try the Windows version, instead of the standard DOSBOX environment. You'll need to change two things:

1. Open up ALIFE.INI in notepad and change
CD Path = ALIFE.000
to
CD Path = .\ALIFE.000

otherwise the scenarios won't be available.
You can also change
Color depth = 8
to
Color depth = 32

to keep it from nagging you about the correct color depth.

Then, open the properties of ALIFE.EXE and in the compatibility tab set the compatibility mode to Windows 95

ALIFE.EXE should then launch the game in your native resolution. It's a bit buggy and crashes every couple hours, so remember to save often.
i did all that but i hear the music but it does't show up on my screen
Tachikoma.979: see topic
hansschmucker: Try the Windows version, instead of the standard DOSBOX environment. You'll need to change two things:

1. Open up ALIFE.INI in notepad and change
CD Path = ALIFE.000
to
CD Path = .\ALIFE.000

otherwise the scenarios won't be available.
You can also change
Color depth = 8
to
Color depth = 32

to keep it from nagging you about the correct color depth.

Then, open the properties of ALIFE.EXE and in the compatibility tab set the compatibility mode to Windows 95

ALIFE.EXE should then launch the game in your native resolution. It's a bit buggy and crashes every couple hours, so remember to save often.
This worked perfect for me. Also turned the sound channels to 24.
Sometimes, the game has a problem with multi-core processors. Maybe that's the cause of the crashes or the reason why the game doesn't display correctly on some systems.

Try this:

-- Create a new text file in the game's directory and enter this in it:
start /affinity 1 ALIFE.EXE
-- Save it as a batch file (.bat)
-- Double-click it to start the game
Post edited August 17, 2017 by SonataFanatica