It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kagamar: Version 3.3.4.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 works after next steps:
[...]
2) Create symlink to the system "libsndio" file:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsndio.so.7.0 "/home/user/GOG Games/ADOM Ancient Domains Of Mystery English/game/lib64/libsndio.so.6.1"

3) Download packages "libnettle6_3.4-1_amd64.deb" and "libhogweed4_3.4-1_amd64.deb" from Ubuntu 18.04:
packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libnettle6/download
packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libhogweed4/download

and extract files libnettle.so.6, libnettle.so.6.4, libhogweed.so.4, libhogweed.so.4.4 to the game library path:
"/home/user/GOG Games/ADOM Ancient Domains Of Mystery English/game/lib64/"
For reasons unknown I didn't need to do the 2nd step. For the third step you can also simply copy the libs into /lib or the specific subfolder for your architecture. Worked for me...
jorlin: [...]
Another thing that's important is to put a colon ':' between the paths you are referencing as LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
Like so:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib64/:./adom64
The last line of the run_game procedure will have to be changed from:
./"adom64"
to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./lib64/:./adom64" ./"adom64"
in order for the workaround to work.

I have tested this on my Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS installation and I could start ADOM without installing the 18.04 libnettle and libhogweed libraries.
The ones included with 20.04 worked just fine.
That's another way to work around the problem. On my box I didn't need to add the :./adom64 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH though.
Are you sure, that GOG recommends Ubuntu 18 instead of Ubuntu 16 to link against?
Ubuntu 16.04 is an LTS version, as is the current LTS 20.04
Ubuntu 18.04 is also a LTS release.
Post edited February 20, 2021 by dTerminist
kagamar: Version 3.3.4.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 works after next steps:
[...]
2) Create symlink to the system "libsndio" file:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsndio.so.7.0 "/home/user/GOG Games/ADOM Ancient Domains Of Mystery English/game/lib64/libsndio.so.6.1"

3) Download packages "libnettle6_3.4-1_amd64.deb" and "libhogweed4_3.4-1_amd64.deb" from Ubuntu 18.04:
packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libnettle6/download
packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libhogweed4/download

and extract files libnettle.so.6, libnettle.so.6.4, libhogweed.so.4, libhogweed.so.4.4 to the game library path:
"/home/user/GOG Games/ADOM Ancient Domains Of Mystery English/game/lib64/"
dTerminist: For reasons unknown I didn't need to do the 2nd step. For the third step you can also simply copy the libs into /lib or the specific subfolder for your architecture. Worked for me...
Another thing that's important is to put a colon ':' between the paths you are referencing as LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
Like so:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib64/:./adom64
The last line of the run_game procedure will have to be changed from:
./"adom64"
to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./lib64/:./adom64" ./"adom64"
in order for the workaround to work.

I have tested this on my Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS installation and I could start ADOM without installing the 18.04 libnettle and libhogweed libraries.
The ones included with 20.04 worked just fine.
dTerminist: That's another way to work around the problem. On my box I didn't need to add the :./adom64 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH though.
Are you sure, that GOG recommends Ubuntu 18 instead of Ubuntu 16 to link against?
Ubuntu 16.04 is an LTS version, as is the current LTS 20.04
dTerminist: Ubuntu 18.04 is also a LTS release.
Yes, of course it is. how ephemeral memory can be.
I have checked to make sure the adom64 directory was needed in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and you are right: it is not needed. I'll clean up my previous post to reflect that.
Post edited February 22, 2021 by jorlin
I'm using archlinux and got this problem even worse.
Though, using free debian version does the trick, and I can play it, but not this one. Any way to run paid version with free binary?
To Whom May Concern,
uninstalling libSDLimage then installing it from
ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-universe-amd64/libsdl2-image-2.0-0_2.0.3+dfsg1-1_amd64.deb.html
solved SDL_RWseek issue but then
./adom64: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: SDL_RWtell
started appearing.
Looks like it's necessary to downgrade whole 'family' of these redistributables - because someone forgot about keeping backward compatibility for patch version ups at their side.
I tried to file a bug report to github.com/libsdl-org/SDL_image - but was unable to, can't share paid version for obvious reasons - and free version doesn't seem to work at all for me. And without it there's nothing to investigate.
Workarounds listed in this topic didn't worked.
Linux Mint x64 latest (non-LTS)
Well, bois, we chose no easy way...
I could ran linux version under linux via ... containers.
Still to fix sound issue though
https://github.com/wshaman/adom_runner
So the game has been broken in every modern-ish distro for more than a year now... why is it still being sold exactly?
So now that ubuntu 22.04 is out for nearly a month, is there any hope GOG will update ADOM?
Mel34: So now that ubuntu 22.04 is out for nearly a month, is there any hope GOG will update ADOM?
Unfortunately, Linux support on GOG is...tertiary. At best. A token effort. In spite of the competition.
Working for me, after installing the libsdl libraries:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH$:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:./game/lib64 ./start.sh

On Ubuntu 22.04
papa.coen: Working for me, after installing the libsdl libraries:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH$:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:./game/lib64 ./start.sh

On Ubuntu 22.04
Thank you papa.coen!!
I kept running into errors, was able to get past the library errors, but then this one had me stuck:

[i]Running ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery) (English)
<2022-10-27 16:56:23> INFO : Creating background process
./adom64: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: SDL_RWseek[/i]

Including the path fix that you included before ./start.sh is what finally was able to get ADOM running for me. I'm currently on Linux Mint 20 and can play the game now. Thank you!
I finnaly gathered all required libraries to run ADOM. You can find them here: cloud.disroot.org/s/5bawGskKfHZtkPo