It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Hi there

As it turns out you can run the GoG version of Unreal Tournament 2004 natively on Mac OS X by injecting the full game's files into the official demo and a few little tricks. The original guide can be found here, but I think it's a good idea to include it here as well so more people can find it. I can confirm that it does work on Mac OS X 1.8 Mountain Lion. I'd appreciate if this thread got pinned.

What you need:
The full game (retail or GoG, shouldn't matter, I used the GoG version), the Mac demo, the latest Mac patch for the full game (important!) and a way to install the Windows version. You don't need to be able to run it, just to install it. Use a Windows machine, Bootcamp, a virtual machine, Wine, Crossover or Wineskin. Personally I recommend Wineskin as you can just throw your wrapper away after you're done. When you have everything ready we can start the procedure

Step 0: Preparations
Get the demo and the patch from the internet, they should be easy to find with a quick google search. The version of the patch I used was 3369-2, which should be tha latest one to my knowledge. Install the Windows version in any way you want, we just need the game files and we will need to be able to look into the registry. Put the Demo and the patching application somewhere on your hard drive, the desktop should be good for now. Don't worry if the Demo won't run on Lion or Mountain Lion, we will take care of that later

Step 1: Renaming (yes, this is important as well)
Rename the Demo to Unreal Tournament 2004, you need to strip the "Demo" out of the name. Right-click the demo and choose Show Package Contents to see the application's contents. Each Mac application is a bundle of various files. Go to Contents -> Mac OS and rename the file to the same name as the app itself.

Step 2: Injection
Again, right click the demo > Show Package Contents. You will see various folders related to the game. You goal is to replace each folder's contents with the full game's contents. If a file already exists replace it with the full version.

Step 3: Patching
The demo is a pure Power PC application and won't run on Lion or any newer version of Mac OS X. The official patch however adds Intel code, making the game run again. Launch the patch application, say you will browse to the game's location yourself, do so and continue despite possible warnings. This will take a while but the patcher will finish eventually. Your game will now be able to run

Step 4: CD Key
You still need to insert your CD key. If you have a retail copy you know where it is, if you have the GoG version you need to find the key in the registry of your Wine setup, BootCamp partition or whatever you used. Navigate in the registry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Unreal Technology/Installed Apps/UT2004/CDKey.
Now launch TextEdit, create a new plain text file (not rich text, you can use TextEdit -> Format -> Plain Text), type in your key (with all the hyphens) and save the file as "cdkey" without any extension (seriously, no extension; go to Finder Preferences -> Advanced and check the option to show file extensions, then make sure the file has none). Right-click your game (the former Demo) -> Show Package Contents -> Systems. Move your cdkey file in there

Step 5: Play
Now try out your new native Mac version of unreal Tournament 2004! You can now throw the patcher and the installed windows version away.

About Mods
Mods work with the Mac version but you will have to use the terminal to launch them. There are some tools floating around the internet, but I haven't come across any that still work (being Power PC apps). Technically it shouldn't be hard to write a new mod launcher, it just needs to automate a few terminal commands. I'm assuming for the following steps that you are not familiar with the Unix terminal.
You can find the terminal under Applications/Utilities, it will open up a text-based promt. The first thing you always need to do is right-click the game app -> Show Package Contents, then type into the terminal "cd " (without the quotation marks and with the space), then drag&drop the game's "system" folder into the terminal window (this will copy the folder's path into the terminal window) and hit return (this will browse into the game's system directory). The next step depends on what you want to do...

Install Loose Mods
Mods like Alien Swarm come with a few folders and the readme tells you to put them into your Unreal Tournament 2004 directory. In our case that would be the contents of the app. Alien Swarm comes with three folders: AlienSwarm, Music and System. Just drag the main folder (AlienSwarm) in the app's root. The other two folders already exist, so instead of replacing them you need to merge their contents. This means you open AS's Music folder and put the files into the game's Music folder. The same for system.
You are now done and can launch the mod (unless the instructions tell you otherwise)

Install Bundle Mods
Mods like Damnation come as one single file, usually with ut4mod as an extension. These files need to be properly unpacked and installed by the game. Unlike the above you will need the terminal, but it will all be done in one go.
Type into your terminal (after followind the instructions under About Mods) "./ucc-bin umodunpack -x " and then drag&drop your mod file into the terminal Window. It should look something like this:
"./ucc-bin umodunpack -x /Users/myname/Desktop/Awesome_mod.ut4mod"
Hit return and wait for the process to finish. Your mod files will be under ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament 2004 in case you are interested. You can now launch the mod.

Launching Mods
Again, follow the instructions from About Mods, then type into your terminal "./ut2004-bin -mod=ModName" where ModName gets replaced by the name of your mod (like AlienSwarm or Damnation). The game should boot up a few seconds after that.
Supposedly you should be able to launch mods from the main game as well by going to Community -> Mods, but I haven't found that to work.
Post edited January 20, 2013 by HiPhish
Thanks for making this guide. I am having a little trouble with the final steps and would really appreciate your help. So I followed all your directions exactly. I went into PC registry and got my cd-key. I copied it and made a plain text file and put it in the system folder just like you said. I then launch the game on my mac, but every time I get a message that says "your cd-key appears to be invalid". This is the cd-key from my GOG purchased version.
13-inch mid 2012 macbook pro
Have you made sure there is no file extension? It shouldn't be cdkey.txt but just plain cdkey. If you have file extensions turned off on your system you can turn them on in the Finder preferences under advanced. Also, make sure it is really plain text, not rich text. You can change that in TextEdit under Format.
You were right. The file looked to me as if it did not have an extension, but then I did 'get info' and dropped down 'Name & Extension' and it was named cdkey .txt Deleted .txt and now it works! Thank you so much for your help. This is an awesome game and I am glad I can enjoy it again.
Post edited January 20, 2013 by staypuft728
No problem :) At least someone found my instructions useful, this thread has been empty since I started it months ago. Have fun
Thanks for sharing this. I got a complete in box copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 Editor's Choice Edition for $3.99 at a thrift store. Came across this and it worked great. Now I can play the game on both my PC and MacBook.
Post edited April 04, 2013 by segadude
Hello,

Doesn't work for me, I've got the error on my 13" MBP 10.8.3:
Couldn't set video mode: No video mode large enough for 1920x1200

I see this error in the terminal.

Any idea ?

thanks !
Ok I found:
1) I've deleted the unreal tournament folder in application support
2) Manually change the UT2004.ini in the system folder and change:

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]

Makes sure the following lines are as follows:-

FullscreenViewportX=1280
FullscreenViewportY=768
MenuViewportX=1280
MenuViewportY=768

Now it's working great !
Hello. Thank you so much for this tutorial. Everything has worked out quite well save for one thing. I cannot for the life of me find the cdkey. I installed the windows version using playonmac which creates a new wine environment for the game which I then used for extracting all the files I needed for the injection step, but I can't find any directory under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Unreal Technology/Installed Apps/UT2004/CDKey. I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I was hoping you might have some advice. Thanks so much for everything.
Thanks for this guide! I followed it and now I am up and running. UT2004 has never looked this good.

For anyone using Wineskin to install UT2004 from the GOG installer, the way you retrieve the CD key is as follows:
- right click on your UT2004.app wineskin, and click Show Package Contents
- inside the package contents, find Wineskin.app and double click it to run.
- from the menu that appears, click Advanced
- Select the Windows EXE you want to run. In this case, browse to /windows/regedit.exe inside the wineskin.
- Click "Test Run" to quickly open RegEdit.

From there, it's pretty much RegEdit, just like Windows would have. The cd key is at the location mentioned in the original poster's instructions.
Thank you for this post. After following your step by step guide everything is working perfectly and it's as fast as I remembered it back when I used to play it on Windows XP, if not faster!

Currently running this on a MacBook Pro 17" Mac OS X 10.8.4.
I have done everything according to the steps, and every time i open the game, i see the picture pop up of Unreal tournament 2004, the rainbow ball spins a bit, and then the image disappears. The app just wont turn on, any idea what might be causing it not to open properly?
Had good results using Crossover, couple of tips;

Access the game files by selecting "Manage Bottles" under "Configure", then click "Open C: drive" in the Crossover window. The files will be under drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Unreal Tournament 2004.

To get the CD Key from the registry click Programs in the menu bar, and select "Run Command", enter "regedit". Navigate per HiPhish's directions.

Everything else was pretty straightforward. Thanks for the great guide!!!!!
Got this working with UT2004 Editor's Choice files I bought from Steam. I used Crossover to install Windows Steam, used that to download UT2004 and then copied the files as you said - the patch warned me about erasing files but went ahead and it worked perfectly!
Glut nix, what version of OSX are you running? Tried this today and the patch doesn't seem to work under mavericks. I run it, a message flicks up for a half second which I think says "applying patches" but it doesn't seem to work....