It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This game is killing my Q6600 3.2Ghz + GeForce GTX 260. Would I get much of a framerate boost by upgrading to an nVidia GTX 570 or an AMD 6970? If so, which card is better for this game? Thanks!
Post edited May 19, 2011 by Ashok0
Going from a 260 to a 570/6970 would give you quite a boost, yeah. Either card would be fine, with the 570 being very slightly better (or lots better right now, given the issues AMD cards are having with the game currently).
Post edited May 19, 2011 by Theocrat
Hi Ashok0,
I have also a Q6600 and a GTX260. I play at high/1680x1050 and everything runs smooth. What do you mean with "killing"?

Greetings,
Melinae
melinae: Hi Ashok0,
I have also a Q6600 and a GTX260. I play at high/1680x1050 and everything runs smooth. What do you mean with "killing"?

Greetings,
Melinae
Hi melinae,

What frame rates are you getting on your rig, considering it seems we have the same setup? I tried playing The Witcher 2 @ High/1680x1050 and I only average 25-30 fps max. :-( Imho, the game feels very bad and isn't that fun to play, and I don't really want to turn down the settings even more. I can crank Crysis 2 up to 2560x1440 and get ~40 fps.

If I could hit 40-50fps in Witcher 2 with a GTX 570 I'd be ECSTATIC.
Post edited May 19, 2011 by Ashok0
Ashok0: This game is killing my Q6600 3.2Ghz + GeForce GTX 260. Would I get much of a framerate boost by upgrading to an nVidia GTX 570 or an AMD 6970? If so, which card is better for this game? Thanks!
It shouldn't leave a GTX 260 sucking wind by any stretch of the imagination. That is still a powerful GPU (especially if it's the Core 216).

I'm getting performance close to what you see on an 8800 GTS 512 and a Phenom II x3. So it's not your GPU.

Something else is wrong, and spending a lot of money on a GPU won't solve it. Have you checked to make sure Ubersampling is disabled?
Post edited May 19, 2011 by cjrgreen
Well, I run with a HD6970, all settings to MAX, except for Ubersampling, and framerate is somewhere in 50-60 FPS @ 1920 x 1080 (limited by vsync, ofc).

With Ubersampling on, it drops to somewhere around 18-20.

@cjrgreen

Actually, it depends on what settings he uses to play with. It's a quite demanding game.
Post edited May 19, 2011 by djlethal
Optimization aside, the 6970 is superior to the 570 in most benchmarks and games, and at high resolution, even edges out the 580 (the 1.5GB version).

I have two rigs, one with a 6970 and the other has a 570, and performance is fine on both (2560x1600, Ultra with DOF/UberSampling/SSAO disabled, getting steady 35-50FPS everywhere).

Overall, I prefer the 6970, though, but you`ll definitely see an improvement coming from a 260!
djlethal: Well, I run with a HD6970, all settings to MAX, except for Ubersampling, and framerate is somewhere in 50-60 FPS (limited by vsync, ofc).

With Ubersampling on, it drops to somewhere around 18-20.

@cjrgreen

Actually, it depends on what settings he uses to play with. It's a quite demanding game.
I know it does, but a GTX 260 should be able to handle everything the engine throws at it, short of Ubersampling. If he gets poor performance from a GTX 260, something that will not be solved by application of a couple hundred dollars is wrong.
cjrgreen: I know it does, but a GTX 260 should be able to handle everything the engine throws at it,
How have you determined this?
my mate with a 5870 was getting 40-60fps on ultra 1080x1920 when i tested it at his today. ordered myself a 6950 (going to bios flash it to 6970) with my student loan :) which is coming tomorrow so i shall hopefully get similar if not better results.
desktoppirate: ordered myself a 6950 (going to bios flash it to 6970)
I hope you ordered a reference card from before February, because that's when they started laser cutting them so you can't do that anymore.
Post edited May 19, 2011 by Theocrat
desktoppirate: ordered myself a 6950 (going to bios flash it to 6970)
Theocrat: I hope you ordered a reference card from before February, because that's when they started laser cutting them so you can't do that anymore.
haha, and THAT is why university work is killing my life, i never have time to check news anymore :\ guess ill be sticking with the 50 then haha.

also, you just kiled my buzz and i hate you :)
There might still be a few 6950s left that can go to 6970

I bought my MSI card last month and had no problems with flashing (the bios).
vivasawadee: There might still be a few 6950s left that can go to 6970

i looked it up just now, i got an asus 2gig one and they apparently are still flashable so ill give it a go if i feel the need for some extra fps. how does your card handle TW2?
vivasawadee: There might still be a few 6950s left that can go to 6970

desktoppirate: i looked it up just now, i got an asus 2gig one and they apparently are still flashable so ill give it a go if i feel the need for some extra fps. how does your card handle TW2?
Playing it at 1680X1050 (until eyefinity is supported) the game is very smooth at ultra setting. I have disabled bloom and blur. 16X AF, also uber is off. The average FPS with Fraps in Flotsam village and forest is mid 70s. Occasionally when you enter a new area the fps will drop to mid 20s for a second or 2.

My other specs:
MSI 6950--->6970 2GB
i5 2500k
4gb
Win 7 64 bit

No major crashes yet, I'm only in chapter 1 and taking this game slowly. Only 1 crash and that was when i must've reloaded at the same spot about 10 times because I couldn't beat those 6 soldiers at the top of the castle on normal difficulty. I think my PC felt sorry for me ;-)